Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

May 15th, 2020 09:00

XPS 7590 temperatures (Linux Mint/Ubuntu)

Hope someone is able to advise...

Have had the i9 with OLED since launch. I run Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon and the cpu temp is constantly around 80+C even at idle never dips below 75, and will hit 100C especially with Chrome watching a YouTube video, and doing nothing else.

It is set to use the Intel GPU - running the NVidia 1650 - temps are very slightly higher at idle.

Always ensure the bottom vents are not covered.

Is this a side affect of running Linux, as in not having the Dell apps which Windows has?

BIOS is 1.2.3, I see there are several updates to address security advisories - are any likely to address temps?

many thanks

1 Message

May 16th, 2020 07:00

I am having similar temp issues on my XPS 15 7590 running linux mint 19.3.

Everything was working fine, then I recently updated to the latest BIOS 1.6.0, and that is when I started having issues with Linux Mint.  Now, it won't boot into the Mint Desktop.  I get to the splash screen where I can select "Linux Mint 19.3". I select that, as normal, then I see a bunch of warnings about CPU processor temps on all cores, and it just sits at a terminal like boot prompt, flashing the underscore "_".

I really need to stop updating things once I get Linux Mint to boot properly....

I have the stock version of 19.3 Linux Mint, with the only change being I updated the kernel from 5.0 to 5.3, so the wifi card would work by default on the 7590.

12 Posts

May 24th, 2020 12:00

Have you tried installing (and configuring) thermald? It should monitor the temperature and attempt to get it under control by limiting CPU power consumption to the TDP using intel-rapl.

Another variable to look at is the TCC offset -- which is how far below Tjunction the thermal control circuit will kick in and downclock. This can be found in /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0/tcc_offset_degree_celsius. On mine (Vostro 3491) this is 1 by default (i.e. floor it until 99C), but I set it to 8 (so put the limit at 92C) using a udev rule.

No Events found!