Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2010 01:00

hard drive problem with ubuntu 9.10...

hi everyone...

i have a vostro 1310 .

I have a problem with my hard drive in ubuntu 9.10.

I had a win xp then i want to install ubuntu 9.10 in it.

when i`m installing ubuntu 9.10,when the ubuntu up,there is an error show to me.hard disk has many bad sectors.

i don`t know how can i solve this error.

can anyone help me Plz...

Thx....

3 Posts

January 28th, 2010 01:00

You can try posting your problem on the ubuntu forums also.

Maybe they can help you.

ubuntuforums.org

32 Posts

February 1st, 2010 01:00

The message is an indication your hard drive may be going bad but there was a bug reported a while back.  if you believe your hard drive is good and  the error message doesn't upset you too much, just ignore it for a while. if it is a bug it will be fixed.

I have read some posts on the ubuntu form concerning the possibility of a bug.The bad part is you now have doubts on the condition of the hard drive.  Some have also written that it was an indicator the drive was going bad. If that is a concern, you could try running a different disk utility disk to check the hard drive.  You could back up  information in your "Home" directory, just in case the program is correct and your hard drive is going bad.  However, if the error message doesn't upset you too much, just ignore it for a while.

If it is a bug, the system is designed to fix itself when a bug fix comes out, you will get a notification of "updates" being available, just allow the system to apply them. The default is to check daily and notify you. A down-arrow will appear in the desktop notification tray when updates are available, accompanied by a pop-up bubble telling you that updates are available. When it appears, click it, and it will guide you through the update process.  I have know several people that installed ubuntu and told me that several days after the installation things started to work without any intervention, as the update process was fixing it.

For more information on the bug :

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libatasmart/+bug/438136

Somewhere it was written about disabling that function (Palimpsest) which reports the disk failing message and also that by going System > Preferences > Startup Applications and remove the check in the  Disk Notifications box. This will prevent it from running at startup. If you ever need to run Palimpsest go System > Administration > Disk Utility, then you will get that message again

The other option would be to use a hard disk utility to go over your hard drive, but that sounds like a lot of work.

joe

No Events found!