Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2007 15:00

i6400 C2D: How to use Dualcore in Linux (actually Ubuntu)

Hey guys,

I have the same problem with all unix-based OS': I have to boot using 1 core only.
That was the case with Hackintosh (where I was told this was a Dell-BIOS-related issue, that appeared at all Dell notebooks) and it's now with Ubuntu.

When I use both cores, clicks are doubled, I get many double letters and as soon as both cores are under heavy load, the system freezes.

I understand that the Hackintosh isn't well supported, but there must be a way to be able to use my Core 2 Duo fully, I mean there aren't that few Dell customers that use Linux.

So...if anybody knows how to get both cores to work, tell me please.

Greetings from Germany

Stefan

5.8K Posts

April 15th, 2007 19:00

I can't answer your question directly, but I have I6400 with CD (not C2D) and it works fine with CentOS 4.4 (Redhat Enterprise clone) and Knoppix 5.1 using both cores. I generally boot the SMP kernel and use both cores heavily for hours (running my software regression tests).

I booted Ubuntu once, but didn't really push it hard. It worked fine for 20 minutes or so.

I've never done anything special to get dual cores to work.

My desktop with C2D also works fine with the same Linux versions using both cores.

Peter

211 Posts

April 15th, 2007 23:00

I use ubuntu on mine and have had no problems with 6.06 64 bit running. The first 64 bit installation gave me problems, but I had the amd 64bit (no ia64 mentioned) version.
No Events found!