Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2012 12:00

Dual booting xps 13

I just got an XPS 13 ultrabook and I really like it. I will soon be selling my other laptop and keeping just the ultrabook and my desktop.

However, before I do that I need to make sure that the XPS can do one thing for me. Dual boot.

I use Linux daily in my life as a computer engineering student and when I tried to install a distro this morning, I realized that the factory partition table already has four primary partitions. This means that I can't create a new one, or even an extended one, without deleting one. Does anyone know which partitions I can safely remove? I'd like to keep, at the very least, the recovery partition as I feel that it's a good partition to have. Unless someone can convince me that it makes more sense to create a recovery flash drive and delete the recovery partition. 

Any help would be appreciated as I'd like to get this dual boot set up going as soon as possible.

Sean

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

October 8th, 2012 20:00

Hi Sean,

You will have to delete all the partitions and re-partition the hard drive to install Linux on it. You will have to perform a clean installation of Windows and then install Linux. If you delete a partition from the current list, the recovery option will not work. You will not be able to restore the system to factory defaults even though you back up the Recovery partition.

You can consider using Puppy Linux that can be run directly from a Live CD or from a USB Flash Drive and save the work on the same flash drive without installing the copy on the hard drive. Using this, the laptop would have all the partitions intact and you can use Linux as well.

For information and to download a copy of Puppy Linux, please visit the following link:
http://bit.ly/8YbfmC

I hope the information provided is helpful. Please reply to this message if you need further assistance.

7 Posts

October 25th, 2012 02:00

Which is the best version of Linux for dell?

No Events found!