This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 21st, 2015 13:00

Inspiron 15 and Ubuntu 14.04: Changing BIOS settings deletes 'ubuntu' partion

Inspiron 15 3551

BIOS Rev A00

Ubuntu 14.04 preinstalled by Dell.

My laptop is brand-new. I went through the initial setup in about 15 minutes. It all worked fine. I rebooted a few times without problem. At this point, the boot options are (if I hit F12 at startup):

Tittle: Boot mode is set to: UEFI with Legacy OPROM: Secure boot: off

LEGACY OPTIONS:

Hard Drive

UEFI OPTIONS:

PEBOOT

ubuntu

HDD1 - UEFI OS(TOSHIBA )

Please note that I never actually used the boot menu. I just used the default.

After a few days, I wanted to change how the function keys worked, so I rebooted and went in to the BIOS, changed that setting, then selected "Save Changes and Reset". The laptop restarted, but couldn't find the right boot disk (or partition or whatever -- not sure of the exact terminology). An error flashed on the screen: Could not open "\EFI\BOOT\fallback.efi": 14

Then, the only choice I'm given is to boot from the recovery partition, which forces me to do a full reinstall -- 15 minutes plus loss of all data.

If I hit F12 at startup while the laptop is in this state, the boot options are just like above, except missing the 'ubuntu' option, like so:

LEGACY OPTIONS:

Hard Drive

UEFI OPTIONS:

PEBOOT

HDD1 - UEFI OS(TOSHIBA )

I ran the ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment, and it indicated no problems.

This problem is reproducible. I have walked through the entire sequence 3 times.

So, what gives? How do I change BIOS settings without losing my OS partition?

Thanks,

Joel

14 Posts

September 1st, 2015 06:00

I got my Dell 3551 with ubuntu today.  I am facing a similar situation.  If legacy mode booting is enabled, then something happens to uefi firmware boot process.  I am trying to understand how uefi booting process works along with the EFI System Partion (ESP).   One good place is - 

www.happyassassin.net/2014/01/25/uefi-boot-how-does-that-actually-work-then/

Once something wrong happens dell recovery kicks in and reinstalls everything.

Another problem I am facing is that the process to create a recovery media on usb flash drive fails. I have used different usb pen drives but if fails with all of them.  The recovery flash drive would come in handy if computer is required to be reset to factory state.   Please inform about your experience with that.  I am wondering which partition used by dell recovery program.

Also inform if drivers for Windows are hidden somewhere on the hard disk.

Thanks.

4 Posts

September 1st, 2015 20:00

I got my Dell 3551 with ubuntu today.  I am facing a similar situation.  If legacy mode booting is enabled, then something happens to uefi firmware boot process.

I just discovered the workaround myself.  Disabling legacy mode works and is good enough for me.

Another problem I am facing is that the process to create a recovery media on usb flash drive fails. I have used different usb pen drives but if fails with all of them.  The recovery flash drive would come in handy if computer is required to be reset to factory state.   Please inform about your experience with that.  I am wondering which partition used by dell recovery program.

I've had the exact same problem.  It gives the same error whether you try to create the recovery disk during the install or after:

"Sorry, Ubuntu 14.04 has experienced an in internal error.

"ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/dell-recovery

"Package: dell-recovery 1.32~somerville6

"ProblemType: Crash

"Title: dell-recovery crashed with TypeError in call_async():  Expected a string or unicode object

"Traceback : dbus/connection.py, line 584

Also inform if drivers for Windows are hidden somewhere on the hard disk.

Not that I'm aware of. . .

14 Posts

September 5th, 2015 22:00

Yes it appears that the Dell Recovery partition has been deleted from your hard disk.

The Dell Recovery media creator generates an 2.2G ISO file in "username"/Downloads folder of Ubuntu.  This file is burned onto Recovery DVD or used to make a bootable USB pendrive.

It would be best to contact your local Dell Support center or some other user who has Dell 3551 laptop and create a Recovery DVD/pendrive.

4 Posts

June 21st, 2015 16:00

I upgraded to BIOS A02, and the problem still occurred.

4 Posts

August 19th, 2015 20:00

Bump.

Anyone have any ideas?

Does anyone at Dell have access to the hardware and can try to reproduce?

Thanks!

Joel

7 Posts

September 4th, 2015 07:00

I wiped the entire disk and installed ubuntu 12.04.5 over the preloaded 14.04 lts. ( which was hanged on updating efi grub)

I was unable to install ubuntu 14.04.3 because not able to restart for finishing installation, but ubuntu 12.04.5 works fine although while booting appear an white screen with vertical lines. I regret now i wiped the disk maybe i could use service tag or expres service code. on may laptop before this one ( compaq) i used ubuntu 14.04 i and want to install on dell too, but i can't. bad english i know. good luck!

14 Posts

September 4th, 2015 08:00

I figured out how to make a dell recovery disk for this laptop.  First we have uninstall the Dell Recovery Disk maker app using the Ubuntu Package Manager and then re-install it again.  Something is wrong in the factory installed app.  After re-installing it is still a bit quirky but most of the times it works correctly and makes functional Recovery Disks.

What I like the most about factory installed Ubuntu in this laptop is that it works smoothly and all the drivers etc are loaded correctly.  I tried installing the latest version of Ubuntu but it could not find Network and Touchpad drivers.

One problem I'm facing is that the BIOS is not ACPI compliant, so Win 7 x64  installer complains and halts with a BSOD.  If any one had any luck with Win 7 x64 please inform.

14 Posts

September 4th, 2015 11:00

Dell Recovery Media Creation software is used to make Recovery DVD or pendrive.  This Recovery DVD can be used to boot the laptop and reset the laptop to factory state.  If reset function is used then hard disk is partitioned, formatted and software installed similar to a newly purchased laptop. 

Recovery DVD also gives option to make custom sized partitions and install Ubuntu according to customer's requirement.

The Recovery DVD is created from the Recovery partition on a new laptop hard disk.  If the hard disk has been wiped, then a factory reset procedure using the Recovery DVD will recreate the recovery partition also on HDD.

7 Posts

September 4th, 2015 11:00

what can be done with Dell Recovery Media Creation Package from Ubuntu Software Center?

I tried to use  it but after installation,  I could not any more to reboot or boot the system.

7 Posts

September 4th, 2015 23:00

so , if I wiped the hard disk first  and installed Ubuntu 12.04.5 ( over the original Ubuntu 14.04 lts.) and after that I install Dell Recovery Media Creation and I make a pendrive using a ISO image of Ubuntu 14.04.3 has any effect to boot like original Ubuntu 14.04 lts. preinstalled ?

14 Posts

September 5th, 2015 02:00

There is a Dell Recovery partition on the hard disk of size around 3GB. Using the Gparted or similar partitioning tool see the partitions on the hard disk. The list is as follows -

1) EFI System Partition (around 512 MB used by UEFI Firmware (BIOS) )

2) DIAG ~ 40MB  (used by UEFI Firmware diagnostics tools to store report)

3) DELL Recovery Partition ~ 3GB  (Used to repair/reset laptop back to factory condition)

4) Other OS, SWAP etc. partitions depending on the type(s) of Operating systems installed.

Dell Recovery Media Creation Tool makes a copy of the 3GB hard disk partition on DVD. This DVD is bootable and can be used to boot & factory reset the laptop or install Ubuntu 14 with custom partition sizes.

7 Posts

September 5th, 2015 07:00

after I gave the entire hard disk to Ubuntu 12.04.5 my partitions look like that: https://imgur.com/L4CvWz6

https://imgur.com/

I suppose that Dell Recovery Media Creation Tool can do nothing for me because I erased the factory partitions.

7 Posts

September 6th, 2015 00:00

Thank you for your support, I will do exactly how you suggested. All the best!

17 Posts

January 13th, 2018 18:00

Since 2015 and still no fix for the problem

the same at me on 5551 Inspiron, and can't change bios settings even after format my hard disk, installed ms windows, updated bios, installed all drivers, changed CMOS, removed it, removed battery and connected only electric, tried to reprogram bios but no way to get .bin file, tried recovery media but it just make live usb for the running system, can't find pre-install for dell's ubuntu system to try it, tried all roots on ubuntu but it failed (uefi no efi system) also all new kernel failed to fix it, at Ubuntu they also haven't any new way to fix that, and i posted at 3 of their sites and here but they removed it

I don't know why DELL don't work with Ubuntu to fix their problems? or to stop deal laptops with them? no auto detect with it, no drivers update manual for it, no fix for the old problems till now and still

No Events found!