Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2007 19:00

Ubuntu Linux on Dimension 3000

Hi,

I would like to know whether its possible to load Ubuntu on a Dell Dimension 3000. The reason I am asking this question is because, I tried loading Debian before and could not successfully get the graphics driver up and running. It did not recognize the in-built Intel Graphics chipset i865G. I ended up formatting the whole PC and load WinXP Home again. I would like to know whether Ubuntu Linux supports this chipset. If not, are there any x11 drivers available for i865G that can be loaded after installing Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anand.

May 1st, 2007 20:00

Why don't you try a livecd like Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com)?
That way you can see if everything works, and then perform a permanent installation.

May 1st, 2007 21:00

For the resolution problem, you can later correct it by editing a file (not the ideal way I know).
You should always submit a bug about the specific monitor model, so the X project can work it out.

If you decide to install Ubuntu on that machine, I'll be glad to help you get the correct resolutions working.

64 Posts

Hi i tried on my 3000 and Ubuntu worked awesomely and i had no monitor issues or hardware problems. However on my 2400 dimension i am having a monitor issue The E151FPp flat panel monitor will not go over the 800x600 resolution and I cannot find a fix maybe someone here can?
good luck thanks

Red

5.8K Posts

David gave a very good suggestion. Without having tried it on a 3000, I can say that I would be surprised if it didn't work. I have not tried a distribution of Linux (including Ubuntu) lately that could not at least get the X window system running (can't always get the full resolution on widescreen laptops though). Generally, the older the hardware, the more likely it will work. Sometimes, the latest and greatest hardware is not supported yet.

peter

5.8K Posts

May 1st, 2007 22:00

I have to eat some crow! I just tried Ubuntu 7.0.4 on my 3000 with Dell 19" LCD. After the initial loading the kernel screen, the monitor went blank and the CD drive went quiet. Not sure what happened. Worked fine on my laptop.

Peter

3 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 03:00

Please list the type of graphic card that you have, Also a sug. you may try to download the alternative cd of Ubuntu, as these are older system, a install may work better, Please specify spec's. Thanks TJ

64 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 21:00

I have intergrated 1810 82845G GL brookdale GE Chipset Intel Thats my graphic card and its a 2400 dimension.  As i said my 3000 dimensions intergrated worked great but my bf is using that one for the Creative sound card.:smileyhappy:

May 3rd, 2007 00:00

Thank you all for your suggestions and replies. Following is the hardware configuration of the Dell Dimension 3000 that I have:

PROCESSOR - 80546, 3.0, 1M, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 800, E0
KEYBOARD - 104, UNITED STATES, SILITEK, LOW COST, MIDNIGHT GRAY
MOUSE - UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, 2BTN, OPTICAL, LOGITECH
MODEM - V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, PC INTERFACE
DVD+/-RW - 16X, PHILIPS, CHASSIS 2005, V1
CARD (CIRCUIT), CONTROLLER, 1394A, PC INTERFACE, ADAPTEC
MONITOR - CATHODE-RAY TUBE, 19, DUAL VOLTAGE, M993C, MIDNIGHT GRAY
HARD DRIVE - 160GB, IDE (INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS), 7.2K, 8MB, Maxtor Calypso

The version of Ubuntu I have is v6.06. I have the original CD from Canonical. When I installed Debian, the X window system did not recognize the graphics controller (Intel 82865G Graphics Controller) and switched to text mode. I would like to know whether Ubuntu v6.06 supports this controller.

Thanks and regards,
Anand.

May 3rd, 2007 01:00

Why don't you try the latest cd, 7.04? It comes with a newer X server that supports more graphic cards and better auto configuration.

64 Posts

May 3rd, 2007 03:00

Yes 7.04 should run well with that 3000. Anyone find any luck with mine upgrading to fiesty didnt give me a better choice and I ran through all the options such as how to video documents through ubuntu i guess my 2400 is to old and the montior must be to:smileysad:

81 Posts

May 3rd, 2007 04:00

I also have an old 2400. It has run Ubuntu, PClinux, PcBSD, FreeBSD, Knoppix all fine(windows XP too). It has the 845 Brookdale w/ 15 inch LCD. 1024x768 should definitely be doable. Big Red and Anand, Have you tried the LiveCD yet? That 19 inch crt should be fine as should the the 15inch LCD. Linux or BSD takes some work but is quite satisfying. check your xorg.conf file if you are on latest Ubuntu.

May 3rd, 2007 15:00

Hi All,

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will try Ubuntu v7.04. I also found the linux graphics driver from Intel's website. You can find them at: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/

Select the chipset and the OS and it lists the available drivers. For more details you can goto http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/index.html

Will get back to you folks if I have any problem with v7.04.

Thanks for your help,
-Anand.

81 Posts

May 3rd, 2007 16:00

Anand It will automatically be installed. You should not have to dload and install from intel. MR D

64 Posts

May 3rd, 2007 18:00

the tower is good with a 70 gig and 640 mb its just the montior configuration is driving me nuts and i have tryed all that has been posted and it dont want none of it i will print out everything and get back to you as it gets done agian i have to reinstall 7.04 but i just get fustrated with the montior part otherwise all works fine

May 6th, 2007 02:00

Hi All,

I successfully got my Dell Dimension 3000 up and running with Ubuntu v6.06 LTS itself. There was absolutely no problem in the installation process.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

-Anand.
No Events found!