Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

May 31st, 2010 08:00

Will this Knoppix work?

Hi,

I have an old computer that is not connected to internet. This back room computer has 5GB on the HD and 1GB RAM. A home made computer of 1998.

I have another Dell Dimension at home that is connected to the internet. This has DVD writer [E Drive]

My question is this:

If I download "Adriane-Knoppix V6.2.1CD-201-01--31-DE.iso" 

a window appears asking where to to save to...

If I choose my "E" drive which represents my DVD writer [Computer running Win 7 x64 Ultimate] to save on a cd, will the cd created in that manner of an ISO image work? [Will it boot from that CD on my back room computer?]

I am aware of free ISO image writers available on the net but I wondered if the Win & x64 Ultimate built in writer is adequate to copy this Knoppix iso image to a CD?

I  know nothing about Linux or ISO images. Very eager to learn from this forum to try it on my old computer.

Regards

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

May 31st, 2010 08:00

My back room computer [Home made and not Dell] details as follows:

Intel Pentium II 450MHz

RAM 1GB

48x CD

Floppy Disk

Present OS: MS XP Home V 2002

The Koppnix CD I created as above did not work on this computer.

Is there a Linux that I could try fro the CD drive of this old computer?

Regards

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

May 31st, 2010 12:00

HI, Have you tried Ubuntu 10.04 HERE, or mint 9 HERE.

2 Intern

• 

1.1K Posts

May 31st, 2010 13:00

Hello ROBIN,

I have a problem in chaning the booting sequence on my back room computer. I am able to reach BIOS screen by selecting F2 but there the choice of  changing the booting sequence is not changeable!!:emotion-42:. This computer was home made by my B.I.L [Brother In Law] in 1999 and the Win 98 was the OS. 

I managed to use the Boot disk in the floppy to select the CD as booting option to install the XP Home.

I do not know if I do the similar move get the CD booting option available [By booting to the Floppy booting Disk] and try the Ununtu 10.04? Do you have any idea if that will work?

Regards

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

June 4th, 2010 19:00

No Events found!