Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2017 16:00

XPS 9550 touchpad palm detection not working in Ubuntu

Ubuntu 17.04 with kernel 4.11.12 and BIOS 1.2.29.

Out of the box I can't for my life get Palm Detection of the touchpad to work.

The option is enabled according to synclient in the terminal or by running "xinput list-props" for the touchpad id i got from listing the devices using xinput alone. Changing the "Synaptics Palm Dimensions" property listed doesn't do anything. Love the laptop as such and Ubuntu runs really well on it (especially now that VSYNC is possible while using the dGPU), but not being able to use Palm Detection or disabling the touchpad while typing makes it almost impossible to enjoy typing on it. Not to mention trying to program on it. 

Does anyone have any fixes for this or tips on what could be causing it not to work?

I saw a thread about the issue that suggested I use a Section "InputClass" section where the synaptics touchpad should be disabled since syndaemon supposedly gets confused by having two toughpads listed.

Output from xinput:

Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ DLL06E4:01 06CB:7A13 Touchpad id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=15 [slave pointer (2)]

xorg.conf:

# Disable generic Synaptics device, as we're using
# "DLL0704:01 06CB:76AE Touchpad"
# Having multiple touchpad devices running confuses syndaemon
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
        MatchProduct "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchOS "Linux"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Option "Ignore" "on"
EndSection

Now this works with the syndaemon cmd line turning the touchpad off while typing, but after a while the tapping, scrolling stops working.
Mouse pointer and physical clicks still work, but not tapping or scrolling. It's not a hardware fault since it's flawless in Windows.

No Responses!
No Events found!