Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2013 14:00

ESXi Openmanage integrate with scom with using SNMP Traps

Hello

I have been ask, if it posible to integrated Dell Openmanage on a ESXi with SCOM, so that we get alarms in SCOM.

I know it posible with SNMP Traps, but SNMP traps run on UDP, and if the server that supposeto get the alarm is down, for maintaince, we never get the alarms.

Is there any other ways?

• 

8.8K Posts

June 24th, 2013 15:00

Jensendk,

If you are just wanting SNMP traps from the host then you can simply put the esxi servers drac IP address into Scom to discover. Now if you are wanting to do this from within the host then you would need to use OpenManage Essentials to configure them.

In regards to getting the alarm while the receiving server is in maintenance, the alarm would be lost. It is simply sent out on UDP, if there is no one listing for the alert it doesn't get logged.

Let me know if this helps.

13 Posts

June 25th, 2013 02:00

Hello

actually I would like to just have SNMP traps, I would, however, not like to have it as SNMP traps.

I want my SCOM to poll the ESXi server for hardware fault.

As you say, the alarms will be lost, if the server is down for maintaince.

So it will be nice to poll the ESXi server for hardware status.

Just a HP Wbem provider can do.

/jensendk

• 

8.8K Posts

June 25th, 2013 08:00

So you want the alerts, just not in the form of an SNMP trap? SCOM will poll the alerts if you give it the IP for the drac of the ESXI server.

June 25th, 2013 08:00

Adding some useful informations.

Please refer the whitepaper @ Agent Free Monitoring Using Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2012 

Also refer to the Dell Server Management Pack Suite Dell TechCenter  page @ http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/4118.dell-server-management-pack-suite.aspx 

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

13 Posts

June 27th, 2013 04:00

Thanks for you reply.

There are no freeway to do it?

As i know the DRAC (In the freeway) will not give alarms about SD card or storage system, as normal harddrive, am i wrong?

/jensendk

June 28th, 2013 03:00

The Agent-Free monitoring is supported by Licensing in SCOM.

For more details refer to "License Management for Servers in Dell Systems Management Products" whitepaper @ http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/4118.dell-server-management-pack-suite.aspx#article  

Please refer to this whitepaper @ Dell iDRAC7 with Lifecycle Controller - Feature Guide for more specific details on the features being offered by iDRAC7.

Thanks.

13 Posts

June 28th, 2013 03:00

Ajith G, thanks for you reply.

But as i read this:

To perform agent-free monitoring using Server Management Pack or manage the servers using Lifecycle Controller Integration, first you must purchase the appropriate License (based on the servers you want to manage), and then use the compatible Dell Connections License Manager to activate the required capabilities through the Operations Manager or Configuration Manager console.

You need to buy support for agent-free monitoring from Dell?

From this document: en.community.dell.com/.../20272469.aspx

13 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 08:00

Hi Ajith G.

In the dokumenation that stand that you need to pucase a license, is this wrong?

/jensendk

July 4th, 2013 02:00

Hello,

License is required for agent-free monitoring of Dell PowerEdge 12th generation servers in SCOM. Please refer to section "Dell Server Management Pack Suite version 5.0.1" in the whitepaper @ http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20272469.aspx and this explains the details of the options available.

Also refer to the Dell Server Management Pack Suite Version 5.0.1 for Microsoft System Center Operations Manager documentation for more details.

Is this answers your query ? Else could you please explain your questions in detail.

Thanks.

No Events found!