Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2012 03:00

Office Connector for Documentum

Hello!

I actually am searching for a Documentum connector or a plugin which can be integrated with all the Office applications like (Word, Powerpoint, Excel). Which can be used for basic library functions without opening WebTop.

I believe there is one such connector for Outlook which can be used for archiving emails directly to WebTop. Correct me if I am wrong.

Would be of great help if you could provide any information on such Microsoft product which can be installed and integrated with Office.

Thank you!

/Ranganath

126 Posts

April 24th, 2012 03:00

35 Posts

April 24th, 2012 04:00

Hello William,

Thank you for the info provided.

But actually I am looking out for a simple integration solution as its available for Outlook here in the following link:

http://www.emc.com/products/detail/software2/my-documentum-microsoft-outlook.htm

Is there any such solution available?

/Ranganath

35 Posts

April 24th, 2012 05:00

Sorry William, let me clarify myself, I actually am looking out for Office Integrator/plug in for applications like MS Word, MS Powerpoint etc.,

I provided an example of Outlook for the reference through which we can have a clear idea on what actually I am searching for.

I do am searching for such solution, I probably think that there is no such plugin available for Office applications.

/Ranganath

126 Posts

April 25th, 2012 07:00

Raina,

I posted your question to the ECN Documentum site and I got a reply this is what they said

"

You can find the Connector at \webcomponent\install\appconnector location inside your webtop.

For this webtop should be running to connect with the Documentum"

Let me know if that helps. I also asked if there was any white Papers or solution on this as well but have not heard back

Here is another answer from the documentum comminity

"The product is called Documentum Application Connector.  You can developer guide as part  of the Webtop download.  Keep in mind that this "integration" modifies your office apps (specifically menu items) and calls webtop UI for various actions.  These UIs are web based, which some customers do not like.

The new integration point is to use My Documentum for Desktop.  It exposes the repository as shared drive via windows explorer, so your Office apps think its just another drive.  You can find more info EMC website."

35 Posts

April 26th, 2012 01:00

Hello William,

Thank you very much for your info.

I'll get back to you on my findings on this.

And I was wondering this Documentum Application Connector, you've mentioned it as a part of Webtop download, But is that possible to download it seperately from Powerlink. I tried to search for that but couldn't find it either.

And My Documentum for Desktop solution is already evaluated. :-)

Thank you once again!

/Ranganath

377 Posts

April 27th, 2012 09:00

My Documentum for Desktop is the right product.  It replaces previous connectors with transparent access to your Documentum repository.   My Documentum appears as a shared drive on your Windows desktop and extends Windows Explorer with Documentum specific functions (lock/unlock, checkin, versioning, setting property values, etc.).

You may also be interested in Documentum D2, the new client for Documentum.  D2 features additional integrations with Microsoft Office, including the ability to automatically exchange documentum properties.

377 Posts

April 27th, 2012 11:00

Further clarification: The Documentum Application Connector SDK is included in the Webtop Bundle.  It can be downloaded separately from the rest of the bundle.  However, DAC communicates with the server through Webtop so you will need to have Webtop installed.  Also note that the DAC SDK is just that - an SDK.  It allows you to build custom menus within Microsoft Office but is not an out of the box solution.

My Documentum for Desktop is a fully functionable, out of the box solution for integrating desktop applications with Documentum.  D2 also offers out of the box integration, but with a usage model that initiates interaction  with the repository from the D2 application, versus initiating that interaction directly from the desktop app.  Your choice will therefore depend on the type of interaction you want to provide to your users.

If you have further questions, I suggest that you post them to this thread in the Documentum Community: Office Connector for Documentum.

24 Posts

April 27th, 2012 15:00

We use App Connectors, mostly as a plug in for MS Word.  The file you need (in version 6.6) is Documentum-AppConnectors-Client.exe (location is where William said above).  It is packaged as part of the Webtop WAR file, so you would have to download that, explode it and grab the file.  Since we don't allow downloads from application to the desktops, we package it seperately and push it out to destops with SMS.  See esg116356 for instructions on how to do a silent install.  It does require a copy of Webtop to be running against the repository to work, but the user doesn't have to see it.

November 13th, 2013 09:00

Sorry and I know this is a bit old thread. Just wanted to update to give a solution that meets what Ranganath is asking for. There is an EMC Certified product that integrates with Outlook and MS Office and it does not require webtop. send me an email to saravanan@cosiconsulting.com if you would like to know more about it.

No Events found!