Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2014 10:00

Adding DVD software programs to Dell Venue 8 Pro

Is there any way to add a software program that I have on DVD to a Venue 8 Pro?

915 Posts

October 9th, 2014 21:00

Well, it all depends on the particular DVD drive, and you raised yet another possibility to make sure that a portable DVD drive gets the power that it needs to run.  (I'm not sure if your possibility would work, though, as both the laptop and the tablet could think they have "ownership" of the DVD drive, and that could cause a conflict.) 

If the portable DVD drive connects to AC power directly (I have a large, older DVD drive that does this), it will have all the power it needs and then you only need to plug the DVD drive's USB cable into a USB OTG cable adapter connected to the tablet.

If the DVD gets its power from the USB connection (as many modern slim portable DVD drives do), it is possible that the tablet may provide enough power to run the DVD drive directly (again, plugging the drive's USB cable into a USB OTG cable adapter connected to the tablet).  But if the DVD drive does not get enough power this way (mine doesn't), going back to my original idea, you would plug its USB cable into a powered USB hub (that itself is plugged into AC power, which will power the DVD player), and then the USB cable from the USB hub into the USB OTG cable adapter attached to the tablet.  Or you could try using the Dell power + data dongle mentioned above and see if the DVD gets enough power to be run that way--that worked for me.

A sample portable DVD player, that uses USB power (note:  there are many out there):  http://www.amazon.com/Rewriteable-Mini-Note-2133-KX870AT-2133-KX868AT-USB/dp/B003AVGN5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412909408&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+portable+dvd+drive  This is the one that I have (I purchased an open-box unit on sale):  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BI4BRNQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A sample powered USB hub (note:  there are many out there; the picture for this one doesn't show the AC power adapter for the USB hub, but there is one, from the description and comments):  http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Powered-Ultra-Slim-4-Port-F4U040v/dp/B005A0B3FG/ref=sr_1_22?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412909860&sr=1-22&keywords=powered+usb+hub  And here is the powered hub that I have (also purchased on sale, locally): http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-10-PORT-100-240-Features-Loading/dp/B005AB67S8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1412912950&sr=8-4&keywords=siig+10-port+hub   

The Dell power + data dongle, from Dell:  

And a USB OTG cable adapter, from Dell (again, there are many out there):  http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A7223619

(If the Dell links aren't working, just do a search on the terms at the Dell store.)

Personally, I like the idea (if a DVD drive needs power "help") of using the Dell power + data dongle--this has worked for me and others have reported likewise.  It's a more streamlined setup, and then you have the dongle for other uses as well.  But you would have to see if your DVD drive gets sufficient power this way. 

Hope this helps--

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 8th, 2014 11:00

Use ImgBurn on a system which has an optical drive and convert the software DVD into a .iso. You can upload the .iso to OneDrive and then download it on the venue 8 Pro.

915 Posts

Use ImgBurn on a system which has an optical drive and convert the software DVD into a .iso. You can upload the .iso to OneDrive and then download it on the venue 8 Pro.

And a 4th way as well, transferring the necessary install files or disk using the cloud!   :emotion-1:

915 Posts

A few different ways. 

You can use a portable DVD drive attached to the DV8P via the tablet's microUSB port.  Note that you will need to do this via a USB OTG ("on the go") cable adapter (inexpensive; available all over, including at the Dell website (and for a good price)).  Also, if the DVD drive is powered via the USB connection as versus directly from its own power/a power plug, it is possible that the tablet just won't be able to provide enough power to power the drive--that was my circumstance, with a slimline HP external DVD drive.  In that case, you can use a powered USB hub--connect the DVD drive to the powered hub (which itself is attached to power) and plug the hub into the USB OTG cable attached to the DV8P.  Another possibility:  Dell now sells a dual port data + power dongle for the DV8P, which attaches to the tablet's microUSB port and then has 2 port connections at the other end, one for a power source (such as the DV8P's original power adapter and cable) or another device, and the other to which you could attach a DVD player (the dongle includes the needed USB OTG capability--no need to use a separate USB OTG cable)--in my case, this setup provides enough power to run my DVD drive without the need for an external power source for it.

(Also, note that other companies also sell their own power + data adapters:  the +port, which seemingly was the first to approach this issue, and the Vener8, which was the first out generally to market; the Vener8 since has cut its price to that around the Dell dongle.)

Another way:  using another computer with a DVD drive, you could copy the necessary install file(s) from the DVD onto a flashdrive and then attach the flashdrive to the DV8P via the USB OTG cable, and then install the software from there; you likewise could convert the DVD into an .iso file, put the .iso file onto the flashdrive and run the software from there likewise.

And you could create a network, using Windows and your home network, between the DV8P and another computer with a DVD drive, and then install the DVD software from that other computer onto your tablet. 

Hope this helps (and it's really not as complicated as it might seem, at first glance!  just a few extra steps)--

4 Posts

October 9th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for your help. Have a question. In that case, you can use a powered USB hub--connect the DVD drive to the powered hub (which itself is attached to power) and plug the hub into the USB OTG cable attached to the DV8P. Are you saying to get a DVD drive that has a USB power connectiion + standard USB connection, plug the power USB into my laptop and the other into the OTG cable > tablet? Would you mind telling me what brand you have and where you bought it. It is very hard to tell what is what from the adds on Ebay, Amazon, New Egg, etc.

Thanks,

4 Posts

October 10th, 2014 06:00

Thanks VERY much. You have been a great help. I have about got it whipped now. People say to exercise your brain as you get older to help prevent dementia. Just buy a new computer about every two years; that will do it!

915 Posts

October 10th, 2014 10:00

Great.  It all makes sense once you can envision the setup--perhaps a drawing of what goes where would have been best!

I agree with you about the effects of a new computer--but perhaps a new computer every 2 years would just encourage the universal adoption of assisted suicide laws . . . .

11 Posts

October 19th, 2014 22:00

I said other "bigger" V8Pro because that's all it is, internally,as the Atom/BayT-DV11pro one.....

11 Posts

Yes, you get a OTG with splitter, which is sold on Amazon for cheap, it is standard OTG, then from there you also have a USB male plug, which adds power towards not the tablet, but the device, you plug any device into the OTG(female entry, haha) whilst plugging that male end into an extension to ac adapter.

I use this adapter to power my external drives, my dvd burner, etc, etc, with my phablet and specifically, DV8pro....

I am not sure if the new 470-ABES sends power towards the tablet alone, or also towards the OTG peripheral you are hooking to your HOST//DV8Pro,,, I would figure, it's only to power the tablet, at same time as you use low powered peripherals, etc, etc,,,

I think you can easily use the 470ABES to charge the venue, and then plug another splitter into your 470ABES full sized USB female entrance,(haha) and of course, run splitter to ac adapter, and power your peripheral devices, which need extra power, which before ran your battery dead on the DV8Pro because it wasn't being charged.

There is another splitter combo out that lets you power the DV8Pro, and do all this, it's amazing, you have USB dongles hanging all over, and cables and cordz all tangled and jumbled and it's a beautiful masterpiece, once you get it all straightened out...

Anyways,,,,, GO DV8Pro you little !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 Posts

Is there any way to add a software program that I have on DVD to a Venue 8 Pro?

I forgot to add this "quote" to the other answer I gave you now at bottom of this page, and I wanted to add something.  This dongle is stand alone, it's standard OTG so no need to drag another OTG with you when you don't want to power your tab, etc, "access to outlet", which you prolly already know, BUT have you noticed on a lot of auction sites selling the 470-ABES, they have it listed for the Dell Venue 8 Pro, but show it plugged into the micro port(of course) of the DV11Pro?

That's truly a dream, I'ma need 2 now!  You can add another full sized OTG port to your Venue 11 Pro...!!!  That's one thing I don't like about tablets, not enough ports, they could have at least added another micro to the DV8Pro but I suppose that would suck the tiny battery dry even faster,,,,,

Anyway, the idea of adding another port to the "bigger" V8pro is awesome!!!!

915 Posts

October 19th, 2014 23:00

I am not sure if the new 470-ABES sends power towards the tablet alone, or also towards the OTG peripheral you are hooking to your HOST//DV8Pro,,, I would figure, it's only to power the tablet, at same time as you use low powered peripherals, etc, etc,,,

Interestingly, the Dell dongle (the 470-ABES), when connected to AC power, provides sufficient power somewhere in what it is doing so that my portable hard drive or portable DVD drive, which when connected directly to the DV8P did not get enough power to run, now will run when connected to the dongle.  In the end, this seems to make the cleanest of powered connections, when one wants to connect these peripherals to the DV8P and also power the DV8P simultaneously--less cables.

By the way, which Amazon.com split USB OTG cable are you using in your setup, which you mentioned above?  I was looking to do a setup like yours so as to power my portable hard drive or DVD player when connected to the DV8P, without needing to use an intervening powered USB hub, but read a comment in one of the Amazon split USB OTG cable listings that this setup did not work for that poster, with the DV8P--would be nice to know which cable in fact works.  Thanks--

1 Message

November 23rd, 2014 23:00

They likewise have bogus trx suspension training, which are available on both wholesale and list at pocket friendly rates.A revolutionary online retail store with a difference, yes I am talking about the trx for sale.

No Events found!