Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2015 15:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro + Windows 10 + No Sound +Drivers OK

Does anyone else have a sound issue with their Venue 8 Pro?  I upgraded to Windows 10 and everything seemed fine, then a couple of days ago the sound stopped working.  The sound icon had a red "X" in the taskbar as if muted and I could not get it to unmute.  The slider bar wouldn't work, even on the physical switches.

I unloaded the driver and reloaded and it seemed to accept and had no errors in Device Manager (I tried both the latest and regressed to an older version of the driver...no luck).  The slider bar worked and it was unmuted presumably.  I did a test in the Sound setting menu and it reported that it failed to play.

So I did a Dell factory restore back to Windows 8 and the sound is back.  So good thing it wasn't a hardware issue.  But did anyone else find theirs to just stop working under Windows 10 (was working fine for a couple of months now)?  I don't have my heart set to upgrade my Venue 8 to Windows 10 as all I do on that machine is surf the web, but I figure it will be an eventuality. 

2 Posts

November 27th, 2015 05:00

This isn´t true at all. I found a workarround. I downloaded the Windows 8.1 Dell Driver CAB 

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER02954646M/1/5830-win8.1-A06-KY92D.html

then I went to the device manager and clicked on the two devices under "Audio- Video- and Gamecontroller" the names of these two devices are "Intel SST Audio Device (WDM) and "Realtek IS2 Audio Codec".

Right click went to properties and chose to update Drivers

Choose "search on the computer"

Choose "from list"

Choose "install from device"

Now search the Drivers for Win 8.1 in the CAB - you probably should to extract it with a programm like 7zip 

"5830-win8.1-A06-KY92D.CAB\5830\win8.1\x86\chipset\PKVD4_A05-00\Drivers\Audio\"

here you can find the inf files. Choose them, install it and the restart your computer. Do the same thing for booth devices in the manager.

After that you can see two drivers if clicking on choose from List like in the screen above. Ensure that you choosed the one from 22.11.2013.

Now you should have sound now, From time to time it is neccesary to install the one from 2013 again, but it works fine for me now.

In additiion. Its important to force windows to use that old driver, only the try to install a new one and chose an older version results in windows still using the new driver from windows 10.

2 Posts

November 27th, 2015 05:00

This isn´t true at all. I found a workarround. I downloaded the Windows 8.1 Dell Driver CAB 

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER02954646M/1/5830-win8.1-A06-KY92D.html

then I went to the device manager and clicked on the two devices under "Audio- Video- and Gamecontroller" the names of these two devices are "Intel SST Audio Device (WDM) and "Realtek IS2 Audio Codec".

Right click went to properties and chose to update Drivers

Choose "search on the computer"

Choose "from list"

Choose "install from device"

Now search the Drivers for Win 8.1 in the CAB - you probably should to extract it with a programm like 7zip 

"5830-win8.1-A06-KY92D.CAB\5830\win8.1\x86\chipset\PKVD4_A05-00\Drivers\Audio\"

here you can find the inf files. Choose them, install it and the restart your computer. Do the same thing for booth devices in the manager.

After that you can see two drivers if clicking on choose from List like in the screen above. Ensure that you choosed the one from 22.11.2013.

Now you should have sound now, From time to time it is neccesary to install the one from 2013 again, but it works fine for me now.

In additiion. Its important to force windows to use that old driver, only the try to install a new one and chose an older version results in windows still using the new driver from windows 10.

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 11:00

The sound and the camera work in Windows 10 on the Venue 8 Pro ONLY with the Windows 8.1 drivers. Windows 10 will automatically update those drivers in a few days and the new camera and sound drivers don't work.  Unfortunately, rolling back the drivers doesn't help.

The solution is to disable hardware drivers updates, immediately after upgrading or fresh install) of Windows 10.

32 Posts

November 30th, 2015 09:00

Thank you @PICMENTION

You tutorial was very helpful.

It is possible to disable driver updates in System Properties in Control Panel to prevent further updates and driver changes. However, you will need to manually update your drivers in the future.

3 Posts

February 7th, 2016 16:00

This was exactly the answer I needed thank you, it was a pain in the *** updating from 8.1 to 10 on the 32gb model, but finally everything is working

September 8th, 2016 16:00

I had a similar problem where Windows 10 would say the driver was not meant for this device. I found a driver that works in case anyone stumbles upon this thread looking for help.

Here is the driver download: http://www.driverscape.com/files/2014/tablet/vido_w10_drv_20140122.zip

I just extracted it, went to device manager, clicked update driver software, then I clicked browse for driver, and I specified it to look in the folder I unzipped. Worked fine, installed the Realtek I2S Codec and the Intel SST Audio Device (WDM).

Hope this helps someone.

1 Message

October 24th, 2016 02:00

I've backed up all drivers from a working machine on windows 8.1.

Tested

www.4shared.com/.../Dell_Venue_8_all_drivers.html

1 Message

February 7th, 2021 05:00

Can somebody PLEASE reupload this link? 

1 Message

November 11th, 2023 13:38

I've found a far easier solution just install the main intel chipset drivers and everything will start working again without an issue.... this was installed after a fresh install of windows 10 64bit

No Events found!