Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

March 14th, 2017 01:00

Dell Venue Pro 11 Service tag No information available

Hi All

I bought my daughter a Dell Venue 11 Pro in September last year with a 2 year warranty.  When I receoved it, I checked the service tag here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ukbsdt1/Products?app=warranty

And confirmed the warranty.  Now there is a fault with the device and I've just checked the warranty status again, but get the following info:

Warranty details for your Venue 7140 Pro

Service Tag: XXXXXXX Ship date: January 01, 0001 Country: Unknown

No information available.

Can anyone help with this?  The problem is that when I turn it on, it buzzes, shows the Dell Logo, displays a progress indicator then up comes the rolling dots in a circle, where it just stays there.

Thanks for reading.....

Steve

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

March 14th, 2017 02:00

Oh I forgot.  I got the service tag number from the sticker on the tablet and also checked it was the same in the bios.  Also I've done a diagnostic (ePSA pre-boot System assessment and everything passed.

• 

17K Posts

March 14th, 2017 11:00

picitup,

Yes, Dell has 5 different venue 11 tablets. The 7140 is one of them.

Below is information to run the diagnostics and to possibly help you resolve the issue. If not, you will need to contact Dell Support  by phone and have them setup service for your tablet.

This section provides information about the Boot Menu and BIOS/System Setup for the Dell™ Venue™ 11 Pro 7140 tablet.

Boot Menu

There are two ways to initiate a one-time boot menu during system boot or when the Dell logo appears:

•Press and hold the Volume Up (+) button on the top left of the tablet (without the keyboard attached).

•Press the key on the attached keyboard.

The UEFI Options, Diagnostics (ePSA), BIOS Setup and Change Boot Mode Setting options are included in this menu. An option to PXE boot appears in the Boot Menu when the tablet is docked and connected to Ethernet (through the NIC port on the optional desktop dock), and a bootable USB drive causes that option to appear. This menu is useful when you are attempting to boot to a particular device or to bring up the diagnostics for the system. Using the boot menu does not make any changes to the boot order stored in the BIOS.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

March 15th, 2017 01:00

Hi Jesse

Thank you for your quick reply.  I've run the hardware diagnostics and the tablet passed all tests.  By pressing F8 on boot-up I managed to get into safe mode and get all the data off so that was good.

I reset the device to install Windows 10, keeping data and the install went ok, but when I go to the loging screen and entered the password, it said Welcome and the round dot timer appeared, but it wouldn't log in.  I gave it a while and it gave up after a few minutes and took me back to the login screen.  The user name and login are correct as I tried them on the Microsoft Live web site.

The I booted to the command prompt and used chkdsk /f on C: which found no errors.

As I have the data backed up, I decided to go for a re-install with a full wipe.  This started OK but now it's stuck on a blue screen saying Just a moment.... with the round dot timer.

I'm unsure as to whether this is a hardware or software issue.

Can you help?

Kind Regards

Steve

• 

17K Posts

March 15th, 2017 07:00

picitup,
1.Press and hold the power button for 11 seconds to perform a hard shutdown.
2.Remove the power supply

If needed you may need to refresh or reinstall Windows and drivers again to see if  the probem is the OS. If that does not resolve the issue you will need to call into support for possible replacement.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

March 15th, 2017 10:00

Hi Jesse

Well after about 8 hours I managed to get it all working.  I've come to the conclusion that the pre-installed version of Windows is buggy.  Even doing a clean install, deleting all files didn't work as it stopped on the "Just a moment" message for half an hour.  I tried disabling the wifi, but no luck.

The fix was to download the Microsoft Media Creation tool although this wouldn't recognise my USB stick (although Windows 7 did) so I created an ISO file on disk and used Rufus to create the USB installation from the ISO and booted as UEFI.  I tried legacy boot first, but the installation complained it couldn't install to a GPT disk, but UEFI boot worked fine.

Now it's all installed and updated and working properly.

I also remember why I never installed win10 on my laptop lol.

The only remaining issue is the warranty.  As previously mentioned I checked this after purchase in September, but now it's not recognised.  The sticker matches up with the service tag in the BIOS.

Can you help me retrieve my warranty please?

Kind Regards

Steve

No Events found!