Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2015 09:00

Dell venue 11 pro power adapter problem

I have two power adapters replaced already. When starting from cold power up, it displays a message: "Alert! A 3W AC power adapter has been detected, which is less than the recommended Latitude xx 23W AC adapter originally shipped. This will increase the time to charge the battery ...." I was told to only charge up the tablet and then unplug the charger. If the charger is connected to the tablet continuously the charger will be damaged as indicated above. It seems it is rather inconvenient to have to remember to disconnect the charger once the tablet is fully charged. Any one has similar experience?

828 Posts

March 4th, 2015 11:00

The 3 watt message means that your AC adapter has tripped, most likely due to a short in the USB cable.   To find out, unplug the AC adapter from the wall and tablet.   Plug it back into the wall and then the tablet.  Turn on the tablet and see if you still get the same error.  If so, you should replace the adapter and cable.   if no error, then you should replace the cable.   If this persists with a brand new cable, then you could have damage to the internal micro USB connector in the tablet.

Leaving the adapter plugged into the tablet after the battery is fully charged is completely fine and won't cause any problem.   The tablet and battery are smart enough to quit charging once at 100%.

March 12th, 2016 17:00

Actually, I have this problem on both a Venue 11 Pro, and, an E6510.  The problem appears to be related more to a driver or Bios issue.  I went out and purchased genuine Dell Power Supplies for each unit, and have the same problem.  Please provide another solution.  Perhaps, Dell or Microsoft is the key to this issue.  I really do not think it is a hardware problem, as even the connectors on the tablet, and the laptop have been verified by a certified dell repair facility.  So, Please get us a soulution that works.  I even moved back to Windows 7 Pro, and older rev of the bios, and all seem fine after 2 weeks.  Now, I am not sure which is the actual fix, but, I suspect that there is an issue with the BIOS updates.  Also, the repair center verified that both my power supply & cables for both units were working.  They also suspect a driver or BIOS problem associated with windows 10.   Please look into this, and elevate to a level 3 status.

April 18th, 2015 13:00

I just received my new Venue 11 Pro last week. Having the same problem. Its not the charger and its not the cable - I tried a different charger/cable and receive the same error. Its something in the tablet. This shouldn't happen on a brand-new out-of-the-box tablet!

2 Posts

April 18th, 2015 18:00

It is nice to hear that it is OK to leave the adapter plugged into the tablet after the battery is fully charged. But it was rather unsettling when I was told by a Dell responder that it was not OK to do so. She helped me updated all the software and drivers on the tablet and still had the same message. I think we isolated the problem to the USB cable, but a new charger and cable was sent to me.

1 Message

July 2nd, 2015 02:00

Similar question:

I have a high power USB charger (40W, 5 ports) which will charge multiple iPads at full current, so it can easily do more than the Dell 24W charger at USB voltages.  However, with it, the Venue 11 Pro 7140 complains about having a 3W charger on startup, but does say charging once I get in to Windows.

Is there something different about the Dell charger?  I notice the model I have (HA24NM130) is actually labelled 19.5V, 1.2A or 5V 2A.  It seems odd to have two voltages listed on a charger that has only a USB output.

July 2nd, 2015 06:00

Hi Mort. I had a very similar problem with my new Venue 11 Pro. I thought the Dell charger was bad, so I tried another charger I had - same problem. So I then thought the tablet battery was bad, and had Dell send me a complete new tablet (with new charger, cable, etc.). It ended up that the cable they supplied from the charger to the tablet was bad (the second one worked fine). Bad may be the wrong word - I think there's a subtle wiring difference (which is why my other charger didn't work either) in that cable. I packed up the second tablet, second charger, and first charging cable and returned them to Dell - kept the first tablet and first charger- but the second cable - and all has been flawless since then.

Its probably the charging cable...I don't know what the subtle difference is...but there is one.

Curious that Windows reports "charging". It may be, but the charge rate is so low as to be almost nonexistent.

1 Message

August 10th, 2015 19:00

You don't say where to purchase a replacement adapter or a cable. The only place I can find one is on Amazon. Why doesn't Dell sell them from their own site?

August 12th, 2015 06:00

I don't know...I don't even know what to ASK for...all I know is bits and pieces of what I've found here on the forum. The cable from the second tablet they sent me worked fine, so I kept it and sent the first cable back along with the new tablet and charger. Some work and some don't...may be tied to a subtle wiring difference. Definitely not a one-off bad cable, because I tried a couple different ones that all work for other devices, and they didn't work either.

When I asked Dell about this, they acted like I was speaking a foreign language (I guess I was...English!) - they had no idea what I was talking about.

I don't know if you bought a docking station with your tablet, but if you did, you can charge it while its on the docking station...no need to rely on the stand-alone charger in that situation.

1 Message

September 1st, 2015 09:00

It is looking that there is any problem in the circuitry of the charger. You must go for the specifications of the charger and the tablet. If there is any kind of the warning as you mentioned by the manufacturer then you must take care of it. You must look for any other charger.

printed circuit board manufacturing

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

May 9th, 2016 06:00

While i get the same message on boot up on my Venue 11, it seems to charge just fine. My work around is to unplug the charger from the tablet, boot up, then plug the charger back in. No error message, tablet charges. Yep, shouldn't have to do this, but it works. 

7 Posts

April 24th, 2017 16:00

I'm having the same problem.  I ordered a brand new Dell charger it's sill reading 3W.  I also tried several standard 5v 2a charger, they all read as 3W as well.  So next logical conclusion is something is wrong with the mirco usb port or the motherboard.  

My question is, if it is indeed the micro usb port will buying a docking station and charging my tablet from the bottom docking port solve this 3W error?

7 Posts

May 1st, 2017 10:00

Answering my own question. Yes, charging through docking did fix my 3W error.

123 Posts

July 29th, 2017 16:00

I just bought a new Venue 11 pro 7140 and have the same issue... plugging in the power cord for the first time with very high chance will result in 3W (very slow) charging. Unplugging it and plugging it back in mostly will result in 23W charging... this is unbelievable and I guess it is a problem with the tablet seeing this old post I found via google search. I have newest bios btw. Also you wont see from Windows it is 3W instead of 23W, you have to reboot and go into bios to check it.

1 Message

December 29th, 2017 19:00

Changing the USB Charging cable not the charger fixed the problem for me, the specific problem i was having is even in Dell Bios the battery would show charging then disconnected and then repeat about every 3-4 seconds, a 2nd OEM Dell charger model OKTCCJ  did not fix the problem as it has the same usb cable. Changing to a usb cable i purchased from amazon fixed the problem. WEIRD. I am a computer technician with 16 yrs experience. I am glad i found this answer. THANK YOU. I hope this helps someone...

September 21st, 2020 05:00

Solved with the replacement of charging pcb:
For those interested.. My 5130 was not charging, tested different chargers.. and always 3W charged detected, instead of 24W.

Solved with this item:
Charge Port PCB Board MLD-DB-USB for Dell VENUE 11 PRO T06G 5130

No Events found!