Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2016 15:00

How do I uninstall Dell Product Registration?

I noticed that one of the many bloatware programs that comes with Dell tablets is a program titled "Dell Product Registration." Fortunately, most of these Dell applications can be easily removed through Control Panel. Unfortunately, this particular cannot, it seems. When I click Uninstall, I get an error box that reads 1628: Failed to complete installation.

I don't want this program on my computer. How do I get rid of it? Obviously your uninstaller is not working as intended.

915 Posts

August 9th, 2016 11:00

I looked into this a bit, and it looks like this program is installed at C:\Program Files\System Registration, and is only 6.66 MB there.  On my system, it looks like the program manually can be launched by the user under the Start menu/All apps (Win10 or similarly) but also is started automatically at logon thru a task under Windows Task Scheduler. 

I wonder, given the program's seeming simplicity, if you simply could delete the program folder along with the Task Scheduler task, if you want to clean things up and free the whopping 7 MB up.  :emotion-5:   Otherwise, you simply could disable the auto-running of the program by disabling the Task Scheduler task, either directly under Task Scheduler or through a program which edits start programs such as AnVir Task Manager.  I apparently had disabled the task on my system earlier (likely when I was trying to clean up the plethora of less-than-absolutely-needed programs that try to start up when the computer first is turned on) and I can't say that it's had any ill effect.

No Events found!