Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2014 22:00

Is dell mobile tablet keyboard suppose to charge dell venue 11 pro?

Is it? When I dock the tablet to the keyboard I have two batteries showing when I click the battery icon. It does not display a charging symbol. Is this normal? My tablet battery is draining while the keyboard battery stays about the same. Shouldn't the keyboard be charging the tablet? I bought both from ebay so maybe it is defective model. I have the i3 version. Maybe it is draining too fast for the keyboard to charge it?

28 Posts

June 7th, 2014 22:00

Here is screenshot. 

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

June 8th, 2014 00:00

It is working as intended. The keyboard just doubles the number of batteries available, and the system intelligently drains from both.

28 Posts

June 8th, 2014 10:00

Ok, so the tablet is draining faster than what the keyboard can charge. That is why I do not notice it charging? Also, to charge the keyboard, do I have to charge it separately from the tablet or can I charge the tablet while the keyboard is docked and it will charge both?

92 Posts

June 9th, 2014 09:00

The way it is supposed to work is to drain the keyboard first then the tablet. You can charge the keyboard separately or while it is attached to the tablet. When charging while connected to the tablet the tablet will charge first, then the keyboard.

The goal is to keep the tablet with the most power.

Now with all that said I have seen the tablet lower in charge than the keyboard, but most of the time The keyboard gets drained first with the tablet battery slightly used.

828 Posts

June 9th, 2014 23:00

We've seen certain situations where the tablet can be fooled into draining before the keyboard dock.   This issue will be resolved in the upcoming A12 BIOS - should be out later this month.

Thanks!

July 16th, 2014 13:00

Just updated to A12, and the keyboard's battery is recognized but shows as 0% even though it's fully charged,... the keyboard works as normal, and the tablet continues to function on its own battery, but the battery in the keyboard is now useless.

58 Posts

July 28th, 2014 01:00

I also have the A12 FW and the issue has improved, not not resolved.

As Brian stated before (on another thread) the discharge should de:

Keyboard first, Tablet last (to save battery for non-keyboard use) and at something like 6 and 3% it should switch to the keyboard to prevent full drain (which is not good for batteries).

My experience is that it now seems to handle the discharge correctly most times, however resuming from sleep/hibernate sometimes seems to fool the firmware and the tablet is drained first. Also I never noticed the switch to prevent full drain...

And nice to know: if your tablet battery reaches 0% > crash, even if the keyboard batery is 100%!

A12 is a leap forward, but miles to go!

No Events found!