Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2014 11:00

Miracast and screen rotation lock Dell Venue 8 Pro

...so...after installing all updates , I am still frustrated with the venue 8 pro using miracast. I can cast to display no problem, however once I have it on second display only, I can launch and use the desktop  in landscape mode, however, when I launch (or in this case install Skype desktop) the screen will auto rotate to portrait mode (I have set rotation to "lock"). This is VERY annoying, as I have to disconnect from 2nd screen, just to be able to navigate the screen as everything is now "tipped" to portrait mode again! (I have tried to make profiles to lock into landscape mode, to no effect, the tablet just keeps turning to portrait mode!....What, if any settings, will keep the display in one "locked" mode? Sometimes I can rotate the tablet into portrait mode, to get my 2nd screen to again show landscape.

I get no love from Dell support, as they seem mystified by their own device. Is miracast a "standard"? I have NO problems with android devices, as I can "lock" the display in either portrait or landscape. I notice Dell Venue 8 Pro is not a certified miracast device ( I think I seen this at the miracast alliance website?) Is this a problem with this device (like the active stylus fiasco?) All I wanted was to be able have my tablet in landscape mode, with a keyboard and mouse (no problem there) and "cast" IN LANDSCAPE mode and lock it there!

Is there ANYWHERE for a clear and concise step-by-step guide to having the tablet/miracast scenario above work? I have been hit n miss here!

Thanks in advance!

Update: Finally have a stable connection...BUT.DO NOT let the tablet go to "sleep", or whatever it decided to do, connection is lost, and only a reboot will find/reset the wireless adapter.  Seems like this wasn't thought out well/tested/implemented?.....Actually got extend to work.....as long as this puppy dosent try to revert to auto rotate...

214 Posts

February 9th, 2014 14:00

Your "Update" didn't appear 'til after page refreshed when I posted my 1st response... 

The connection to PTV wiil time-out (drop) after a while, if the PC stops communicating... Imo, that's normal and my WiDi connection from a laptop does that also. What's not "normal" is having to re-boot to restore it.

9 Posts

February 9th, 2014 18:00

Thank you, for the response! I agree with you, I have found, that to use the miracast, I have to be connected to my 2.4g network (can't sustain o 5.0 and 2.4 at the same time?, this also happens with a small media hub (IoGear) that I use.  I have run all dell's "trouble shooters", as well as windows diagnostics (Dell sees no prob,  but then again, I can't run it when the adapter is malfunctioning? Windows reports the problem... as "adapter or software issues"  no real info there.....after a reboot, all is "good to go", isn't there a memory dump of hardware events somewhere? This isn't the first time, I would just like to view a log of this somehow (can't find it in event viewer) Thanks again . Other than that, I think I finally got the settings right to use miracast (if the next reboot doesn't change (lose) my settings in the first place. Just seemed to be an exercise in hit er miss er settings. When it works, I like it.

Just thought it would be a little less finicky... thought there would be an app for this? Sorry about the rant :) .......................

...sigh...broke the wireless adapter...again, reinstalled the Dell driver, again , I have been installing over the old (same ver.) driver...wonder if uninstall/reinstall is a better idea?......Still can't figure out why my android devices have no problem, I was led to believe that miracast is an intel/Microsoft product? I am sincerely  disappointed here...."mirror"  function sure would be a blessing! (I have noticed that the touch function is active on my blank tablet screen, but the orientation is skewed on the external display, I think my expectations were too high.....commercials sure make it appear easy!

214 Posts

February 9th, 2014 14:00

I take "all updates" to include Dell, Microsoft & Netgear. Suggest you get "Duplicate" working in landscape, before you attempt swimming in deep(er) end of the pool; sometimes, deleting/re-pairing a new connection will straighten-out kinks...

Netgear techs don't yet have depth (on any brand of 8.1 tablets) to help much but they are pleasant and genuinely interested in Venue Pro owners' plight; they need to know this is becoming a widespread use for the PTV3K, even tho not yet "certified" 

No Events found!