Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2016 19:00

RE: How to get Dell to honor their Warrantee?

Amazingly I,just spent the last several hours doing the same thing although my venue 8 won't charge at all. Suggestions have been made that it has a micro A slot and comes with a micro B charger and that over time that causes the issue. I talked to the chat team and then support passed me around and tried to send me to the out of warranty team. I have an escalated ticket in and I am,suppose to get a call back. We will see. No one could answer or reply to the A port B charger question. If this is the extent of their technical knowledge it is sad. Most likely this is why they phased out this tablet rather than deal with the issue

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2016 09:00

Hi Rmach t,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that you are having difficulties with your Venue 8.  The AC adapters/chargers are considered normal wear and tear items and as such are not covered under the warranty.  Now, with that being said, the difference between the Micro A and Micro B USB ports and cable is simple.  The Micro A has square ends and the Micro B has tapered ends.  The B will not fit in an A Slot because of the design.  

I have the Venue 8 Pro, and it has the Micro B slot and cable.  I've used 5 volt phone charging cables and chargers with mine and the battery will charge just fine.  Make sure the cable matches the port.

Post back if you need further assistance. 

Regards,
Robert

915 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 11:00

The charger may be a "wear-and-tear item" (but come on, really?  within the relatively short warranty period?  really?  if so, perhaps Dell should be using and supplying better chargers, that can last a year . . .); but the tablet's port connector itself is not (or the lifespan for the tablet would be a whopping 1 year--really?!?).

See this similar thread as well.  en.community.dell.com/.../20942572

My recommendation:  press the warranty issue, politely, until it is approved.  The warranty is part of the price of the tablet, and is Dell's obligation.  

915 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 11:00

By the way, Robert P, my DV8P has, I believe, a micro-AB port--people can find that port problematic, as it allows one to try to push in a plug upside-down, leading to the problems Dell has had vis-a-vis users and the port.

Wikipedia has a nice chart of the port and plug shapes, if you go down halfway in the article.  en.wikipedia.org/.../USB.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

September 26th, 2016 06:00

No Events found!