Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 31st, 2015 12:00

Venue 11 Pro 5130 not waking from sleep - A10 BIOS problem?

Anyone else tried the A10 BIOS on the 5130?

I've been having on and off issues with the tablet not waking properly from sleep, in that I press either the power button or the Windows button (I get a buzz when I tap it), but the display stays blank. Only solution is to hold the power button until it's off and then power up again, then it's useable. It's not good to power off like that so not happy.

Anyway, decided to try the A10 BIOS to see if it helps, but I think it's made it worse. Before it would do it occasionally, so I'd have to hard power off a couple of times a week, but now it does it every time it sleeps, so it's happening many times in a day.

There's a possibly related issue or maybe the same where the display crashes and recovers during use, which I've had many times also but sometimes it doesn't recover. There's a thread on that here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19566729

That thread suggests installing the 3366 display drive and KB2883200. I have both, but it doesn't solve my problem.

Oh, and I quickly run out of disc space as each time this is creating a large memory dump crash log.

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

February 1st, 2015 13:00

Okay, there are many threads on similar issues, but I now feel this is more likely my problem now. Again possibly made worse by the A10 bios.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19539799

February 2nd, 2015 22:00

I may have found a solution to this problem; I'm continuing to test but I've gone 4 days with zero "black-screen" problems.

Download the Intel 3700 Chipset drivers from the Dell website.  Run the file, which will first extract the package to your drive.  You can cancel after that.  Run an admin command prompt and browse to the directory where the files expanded to (something like c:\dell\drivers\212???).

Run setup and append "/?".  After a bit a dialog will pop up showing all of the flags you can use.  Find the one that installs all files regardless of if they are older; I think it is "/fo" or something like that.  Hit OK to exit out.  Then run setup again and include that flag.

You will get a warning about replacing newer files but hit OK.  Let it do its thing and reboot when it is done.  Please post back and let everyone know if this fixes it!

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 06:00

Tried that, but it didn't work for me. I'd already reapplied that driver before. Did as suggested with the FO switch and accept the warning about same or newer drivers, rebooted just in case and left it, but still couldn't wake it.

What might be helping however is uninstalling Dell software. Suggestions here are that removing MyDell helps, but that didn't work for me, however I then removed the other Dell related items I had (Power Manager, Dell Detect and one about updates that I forget the name of), and so far I've been able to leave the 5130 in sleep for an hour and it still wakes.

I'm not certain that does fix it, I will see longer term. Plus that thread talks about it being the PCD.sys driver, but despite removing these apps that driver is still installed according to the 'driverquery' command. Plus I was not getting BSOD errors at all, just no wake up.

All that said, I've just had the display go blank on me in the middle of use and the classic display driver crash error in the system log. It didn't recover for me but I did manage to get it to reboot with the keyboard connected and WIN+D, ALT F4, R and Enter. I think this is a different issue related to this.

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 09:00

Update: Ignore what I previously said. Uninstalling the Dell apps does not fix my problem. I left it slept for longer and again I can't wake it.

14 Posts

February 9th, 2015 14:00

I have the same problem. Everything was fine with A09. Why do they damage working things, instead of giving us a legacy boot option or a 64 bit UEFI. Dell is really bad when it comes to SW. And now I am sure this is my last Dell device.

February 10th, 2015 15:00

After upgrading to the new bios (hoping it would fix some of my touch screen issues), I too have the blank screen after sleep problem.  The windows button gives feedback but the display is blank and a hard reset is required.

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

February 16th, 2015 02:00

Still a major problem for me, and I'm sure it's after installing the A10 bios.

My only workaround is to set the power button option under the power management settings to shut the tablet down if I press it, and set sleep to a long period. I manually shut it down then when not in use and try not to let it sleep.

February 21st, 2015 10:00

Yep for me too. Short period of sleep goes good, anything over a minute or 20 means I have to yank out the battery for it to startup again.

Totally unacceptable. I suppose there isn't a way to revert back to A09 bios ?

I have only a year warranty, but of course they are legally obliged to support it for two years here, so either they refund me or they give me a tablet with A09 bios, as this is simply unworkable. I had to yank out the battery five times today already.

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

February 21st, 2015 12:00

Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds. That will force it off, then you can just power it up again without having to take the battery out.

Still a pain to have to do that lots of times in a day though, and each time it's forcing the device off and risks corrupting the drive.

February 22nd, 2015 03:00

yeah I know, yanking the battery out isn't necessary but usually faster than holding the power button.

in any case, I disabled the camera, which on my tablet has lead to problems before, and today, I haven't had to yank the battery out as it wakes up from sleep normally. not saying this is a fix, but up until now, I haven't seen any wake problems, and I don't use the camera anyway.

The camera sometimes lead to a bsod on my tablet, dell even replaced it, but with no luck. tried several different drivers, but it only works when the tablet has just switched on, if you try to use it later, it either remains black or bsod the tablet.

February 22nd, 2015 04:00

Further to my previous post. Disabling the camera in the bios DOES NOT work.

Somehow Intel's imaging Signal processor 2400 is still enabled in device manager even though it is disabled via the bios !

So I need to disable the 2400 via device manager.

Unfortunately this leads to two problems:

1) cannot use the camera (obviously), this to me is no problem but I could imagine that people using the tablet for lync or Skype video calls might consider this a problem.

2) disabling the driver via device manager seems to break connected standby

Could dell finally solve the problem with the damm camera and their firmware, or better yet, tell me how to rip the camera out of the device. I rather have a device where connected standby and waking from it works, than to have a dodgy camera I don't intend on using anyway.

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

March 28th, 2015 10:00

A11 bios is out, but looks like it doesn't fix anything...

"Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 System BIOS

This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 for Windows Operating System.

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixes
- Not Applicable

Enhancements
- Improved BIOS hot key option.
- Enhanced Touch function for UEFI application.

Version

Version A11, A11

Release date

24 Mar 2015

Last Updated

24 Mar 2015

Importance

Recommended"

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

May 13th, 2015 09:00

And another one, A12. No mention of anything at all fixed again, and trivial enhancement and yet it's marked as urgent. Can anyone confirm if this fixes anything or not and if not when can we expect a fix finally for the wake issue introduced in A10? This is very frustrating. I've had to disable sleep and I shutdown now so have to wait for restart every time I want to wake the device.

(ps, this forum has major issues with the touch keyboard on the venue. Very hard to type messages).

Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130

This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 8 and 8.1.

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixes
- Not Applicable.

Enhancements
- Improved panel brightness control for LG.

Version

Version A12, A12

Release date

30 Apr 2015

Last Updated

30 Apr 2015

Importance

Urgent

1 Rookie

• 

42 Posts

July 28th, 2015 05:00

Tried A12 BIOS. Does not fix the problem.

No one seems to care about this.

One suggestion is turn off wifi. Makes Connected Standby rather pointless doing that.

What I need is a way to completely disable CS but allow it to turn off the display after a number of minutes and shut down after a while longer. Like desktop mode. The role is set in the device as a tablet however and Windows won't offer this option. Only option to turn off the display is to sleep, and that goes into Connected Standby which you cannot wake it from after applying A10 or higher BIOS.

No Events found!