Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CJ

February 10th, 2018 10:00

Venue 11 Pro won't Shut Down

I've got two identical Venue 11 Pros (7130) running Windows 10 that are exhibiting the same behaviors:

1) If I select "Shut Down" from the Windows Menu, the screen will go blank; but the Windows Icon will continue the "buzz" when touched for about 10 minutes, then I see the Dell Logo and the system reboots

2) If I hold the power button until I get the "Slide to Shut Down" and then do the slide; I see a Task Manager message about "..Waiting for a Plug N Play upgrade...." and after about 10 minutes, the system reboots.

3)  When plugged into the docking station, every other boot will "Hang" with the "spinning blue icon" after the task bar shows up and nothing will run.

Both systems are running the A21 Bios (and refuse to run the A23 update) and have all the latest Windows and Dell updates.

Anyone else seen this?

1 Message

February 13th, 2018 12:00

I have the same experience.  Started a couple of months ago and I've never figured out what caused it or how to correct it.  I have to hold the power button in until it finally shuts down.  Solution???

February 20th, 2018 13:00

Same problem here. Annoying as **bleep**, as it drains more battery than if it were shut down.

March 4th, 2018 11:00

I am glad I found other owners of the Venue 11 Pro having the same problem with restarting the table using the Windows 10 OS.  I have two Venue 11 Pros.  Both are set up using the UEFI option.  One tablet is the “vPro” model using the i5 Core Intel processor.  The other is a “Pro” tablet with an i5 Core Intel processor.  The “vPro” has a little beefier processor with more motherboard features.  Attention has to be payed when doing driver updates for the BIOS and chipsets.

I updated both tablets to Windows 10.  The “vPro” tablet has the Win 10 Home version OS installed.  The “Pro” tablet has the Win 10 Pro version OS.

My “vPro” table is working fine as it relates to restarting.  It never had a shutdown or restart problem.  It has not been affected adversely by any updates as of this submission.

I have all the windows updates, and all the Dell divers and BIOS updates on both tablets.  I used the Dell utility to detect the needed drivers. 

My Venue 11 “Pro” with Win 10 Professional installed is exhibiting the slow shutdown and restart problems. The same as mentioned in this thread.  This did not happen until around the end of 2017.  This tablet was working fine with Windows 10 Professional earlier in 2017. After it had been idle (turned off) for a month or so, I powered it up and did updates.  I noticed this behavior when it needed to restart to complete the procedure.  The battery needed charging so I let it charge.  After it charged I checked the Dell support site for updates and did a restart.  The shutdown took at least five minutes.

I thought something in the tablet was affecting the shutdown.  I remember older Windows versions would bring up messages that indicated other apps needed to be shut down before a restart.  Did I want to force the shutdown?  So I thought maybe there was an application that was hanging the process.  I decided to refresh the tablet and used the option of saving what I could.  The tablet removed a number of apps in the process but the shutdown problem remained.  I next did a reset that removed everything and saved the installed OS.  The shutdown issue still remained.  I did a new install to include cleaning the SSD with “diskpart” in the cmd prompt.  Reinstalled Windows 10 Pro with updates.  Guess what?  I still had the shutdown problem.  Are there any Dell product consultants that want to tackle this issue?  Is there a Windows update that is not compatible with the design of this tablet?

Thanks for your time.

2 Posts

April 6th, 2018 03:00

Hi! I have the same problem with my Venue11 Pro!

It started about month ago. I update to newest W10 1803 but i still cant shutdown my tablet :(

EDIT:

Finally I make it work. I installed Iobit Driver Booster. That program find on my tablet 9 outdated drivers and update them. I restart Windows and now I can shutdown tablet without reboot:)

April 8th, 2018 19:00

Hi locoslaw,

It took me awhile to get what you were telling me.  I finally searched for IoBit Driver Booster and it all clicked.  I did a little research and had my reservations about using a driver updater because some have reputations of delivering malware in some drivers.

I decided to try it because I had nothing on my freshly reloaded Venue 11 Pro.  The program found 10 outdated drivers.  I let it update the system and, to my surprise, it fixed the long shutdown issue.  It now restarts quickly and if I just shut it down it only takes less than 15 seconds.

While I'm happy about the fix I'm thinking I will try to do a restore and try and find the offending driver.  It seems Dell has a problem with maintaining updates for these older systems.

Thanks for your post and finding this solution.  The best part is the app was free.

Edit:  I tried to access support.dell.com after the driver update.  The the site which always recognized my table displayed an error page indicating it did not understand my system anymore.  I used the restore point and recovered my system which responded in the same way as it had before.  I went to the dell support site and it worked.  I accessed the drivers and downloads and decided to load a second Bios file which had a more detail description. After the updated bios loaded the system restarted normally.  At this point I'm not sure, but I think the other bios file was missing something my system needed. 

2 Posts

May 9th, 2018 12:00

Had the same problem that started with an early WIN10 update and persisted through WIN10 update 1803. It would do this when Win10 shut down or restart for an reason. There seemed to be some extra recovery partitions that I assume were left over from WIN 8. I Finally used a portion manager to delete all partitions on the hard drive and did a clean install of WIN10 update 1803. This solved the problem and it works great now.

May 9th, 2018 13:00

This is my second attempt to reply to this post.  Don't know if this will be successful.

I've been dealing with this for awhile.  The last time I reloaded drivers and refreshed the BIOS.  It was working fine.  The Creators Upgrade ver. 1803 came out and I did the update.  The slow shutdown and slow restart started happening again.   I did a "Clean Start" exercise using the msconfig command.  I started only basis services to see if something running in the background was hanging the OS.  Did not prove anything.  I went to the support.dell website and did the Drivers and Downloads of the Chipset Drivers.  That for some reason fixed the issue.  I also refreshed the BIOS just to make sure.

That's my story.  Hope it helps.  Like to know if this helps anybody else, or they find something different. 

2 Posts

July 30th, 2018 09:00

For me the problem was the dell chipset driver dated 11 June 2018 (release date is actually 02 June 2016) (version: 10.1.1.18) When I installed the chipset driver from Intel 1/17/2017 (INF Update Utility) (version: 10.1.1.42) the problem went away and both restarts and shutdowns are now fine.

This was done after a fresh installation of windows 10 Pro, using the most up to date version. Then testing each driver with a reset whether required or not.

1 Message

May 9th, 2019 15:00

Not sure if this is still relevant but I've also experienced the long shutdown/restart times. My Venue 11 7130 Pro would only truly shut down after 5-10 minutes of black screen.

The fix: As suggested by users in this thread, I installed IOBit driver booster in the hopes that it would work for me - and it did! After updating the drivers through the software, the long shutdown times disappeared and it would only take the tablet around 10-20 seconds to fully turn off :)

It's good to note that BEFORE I used iobit, I already installed the latest drivers from the Dell support page and Windows 10 had no pending updates.

The hiccup: After iobit updated the drivers, I noticed that my wifi would be disabled (shows a red x mark) every time I turned on the tablet. To get around it, I had to click Restart after logging in which for some reason fixes the issue. Eventually, the problem disappeared when I clicked the Reset Network Adapter button under 'Settings -> Network'.

Windows Store wouldn't load properly and would show a 0x80131500 error: This was another issue I encountered after using iobit which occurred at the same time as the network adapter problem. I tried using wsreset.exe which didn't help. I was able to fix this by creating a new Windows account and setting it as my primary one. It's a hassle especially if you have a lot of apps and files on your current account, but if it meant that I'll be able to use the Store again, then it was worth it.

5 Posts

October 26th, 2020 03:00

please, you have link to download this versión 10.1.1.42

No Events found!