Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 15th, 2018 05:00

Venue 8 5830 KB4056892 Problem

Folks:

I have successfully upgraded the tablet with Windows 10 (1709.) However, I could not use Windows Update to install the 2018-01 Cumulative Update (KB4056892.) After each update attempt, I am always being prompted to "restart now". But after each reboot, I get a notice "We couldn't finish installing updates."

After reviewing what items were failing. I found that the Adobe Flash Update and the Cumulative Update were failing. I went ahead and downloaded and installed the Flash player successfully. In addition, I downloaded the cumulative update file independently and successfully updated the tablet. Reboot, I did not get any failure message.

Now, I went back to the Settings>Windows Update>Update Status, however, I am getting the message as if the update was not installed and awaiting restart. I can reboot the tablet, again, but the message of failure and not updated persist as though I have not done any upgrade at all. Now I am getting the "We couldn't finish installing updates."

Is it the Venue 8 Pro 5830, the Atom CPU, or other? What gives?

Edit: From a thread I found at Microsoft, I ran the following:

"
1. Type cmd in the search bar.
2. Right click and select "run as administrator"
3. Copy the following command and press enter after each line:

net stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%
ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
net start wuauserv

Restart when complete. "

That removes the persistent update error message but when I check for Windows Update, I do get a message that indicating I have the, aforementioned, cumulative update available!

What gives?

307 Posts

January 15th, 2018 12:00

KB4056892 is to resolve the security issue related to the security flaw known as Meltdown. Meltdown is currently thought to primarily affect Intel processors manufactured since 1995, excluding the company’s Atom processors before 2013. So this update may not apply to the Venue 8 Pro.

I am a little surprised that you have Windows 10 Version 1709 working because according to this article, https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/19/16001366/microsoft-windows-10-creators-update-atom-pcs, Microsoft no longer supports Intel Atom Clover Trail processors for its latest Windows 10 updates.

9 Posts

January 15th, 2018 13:00

The Venue 8 Pro is a Bay Trail Atom processor. I guess my Symantec NIS cannot cover the Meltdown and Spectre potential problem?

307 Posts

January 15th, 2018 17:00

You are correct the Venue 8 Pro 5830 has an Intel Atom Z3740D which is a Bay Trail processor. Intel's status of that processor is 'End of Interactive Support'. I could not find any documentation of Microsoft's position on Windows 10 feature updates for other Atom processors, but on my Venue 8 Pro 5830 I was never offered an update of Windows 10 beyond Version 1607 although I continue to get security updates so I have concluded that there are issues that have caused Microsoft to discontinue these updates.

Anti-virus programs cannot protect against the Meltdown and Spectre. Meltdown requires OS changes and changes to anti-virus programs that access the kernel, but it appears that the Atom processor does not have a problem with Meltdown. Spectre requires firmware (microcode) changes and updates to web browsers, not sure if the Atom processor has an issue with this flaw.

1 Message

January 17th, 2018 10:00

I just did the update to Win 10 v1709 via the built in Windows Update and chose the option to use an external drive (I have the USB dongle) to help download the files and do the install since I didn't have enough space.  After about an hour of installing, it booted up just fine and then worked another 20 minutes on downloading and installing the KB4056892 (01-2018 Cumulative Update) & KB4056887 (01-2018 Adobe Security Patch).  It prompted me for a restart and it rebooted just fine.  So, apparently they haven't "flipped the switch" to turn off updates for these older processors :)

9 Posts

February 1st, 2018 05:00

Folks:

FWIW, I have downloaded KB4058258 and installed it. So far, my Action Center does not have a red X.

No Events found!