Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2016 09:00

Venue Pro 11: Stop SD card booting

I have a 7140 running Win 10 Pro.  The recent builds allow me to use the micro-SD slot to increase storage and use it for OneDrive and Dropbox.  The problem is that the 7140 won't boot if the card is installed.  My guess is that it's looking for the boot files and hanging up. I don't want to lose the functionality to boot from a USB device in case of HD failure or I'd turn off USB boot.

Is there any way to separate the micro-SD reader from the other devices?  I may be way off with my theory, of course, and would welcome any help.

Thanks

331 Posts

July 1st, 2016 16:00

Hi sgmidf,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Change the boot sequence in the BIOS. There is a list that specifies the order the BIOS searches devices, when trying to find an operating system to boot. Change the boot order, select the device to be changed in the list on the right hand side, then click the up/down arrows or use the keyboard / keys to change the boot order of the device. The boot devices can also be selected or de-selected from the list using the check boxes on the left hand side. You can make the USB Storage Device as the last one or remove.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

3 Posts

July 1st, 2016 16:00

Thanks but if I remove or make the USB the last in the list, then if the hard drive gets corrupted or I want to preferably boot from USB, then it won't work.  What I want to do is disassociate the SD card from the USB.  I have a number of thinkpads and this is not a problem so I'm sure it's possible (although maybe not on Dell).

Also, the default is the Windows boot manager, not the standard BIOS list.

331 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 14:00

Hi sgmidf,

If there is any issues with the OS and you want to boot from the USB, the settings can always be changed in the BIOS screen. Did you try the settings and test the tablet, also request you to update the latest BIOS from the Dell support site.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

No Events found!