Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2013 10:00

XPS10 Tablet charge via USB ?

When I plug a USB cable into the XPS10, shouldn't the charge indicator come on (the white one).   I want to be able to use and recharge my tablet without having to take the AC adapter along and thought that it could be charged via USB...  

yes it does... thanks....    I am not sure if the USB port is working then as white indicator does not come on and it I plug a USB memory stick in Windows does not see it...  

2.2K Posts

Hi trevor-calgary,

The Dell XPS 10 tablet cannot be charged via the USB ports on the keyboard dock however, the tablet supports trickle charge via the micro-USB port.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

2.2K Posts

Hi trevor-calgary,

Thank you for the reply.

The following table provides the LED behavior based on the type of power adapter connected and available battery charge.

Power-Adapter Voltage Battery Charge Battery LED Behavior
5 V or 19 V
100%
Off
5 V or 19 V
> 2%
Steady White
19 V (AC Adapter)
< 2%
Steady White — Tablet will turn on.
5 V (Micro–USB)
The LED turns off for a second and turns on again. The tablet will not turn on.

Hope it helps. 

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

Thanks Manshu.....      will the white indicator light be on when plugged into the micro-USB port ?  

2.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 11:00

Hi Trevor-calgary,

Thank you for the reply.

Please provide the following details:

1. Are you trying to charge the tablet from USB port of a desktop or laptop?
2. In case you are trying to charge it from USB port of a desktop or laptop, let me know if the USB port is functioning properly.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

January 22nd, 2013 12:00

i have tried it from boththe docking station and the Latitude's USB port.    when I plug the micro-USB into the XPS the screen dims for a second or two and then returns to full brightness.  But the white indicator LED does not light.  

828 Posts

February 1st, 2013 08:00

The XPS 10 does indeed support charging via the micro USB port, but keep in mind that it will take significantly longer than the included AC adapter (~24 hours) to fully charge the battery.   The LED should turn on solid white if the battery is at a state <100%.    It sounds like your micro USB port may not be working, or you have a bad cable.   I'd suggest you try the included microUSB to USB dongle with a memory key to see if that works.   If it does, try another cable for charging.   Always a good idea to try a couple cables to eliminate that as the possible cause.   If it still isn't working, you'll probably need to get the device serviced or exchanged as the port is likely bad.   Note that the docking staton can't be charged via the USB ports on it.

5 Posts

February 11th, 2013 03:00

hello,

when i plug in micro usb charger,unit becomes unstable. thoughts?

i unplug due to fear

828 Posts

February 11th, 2013 08:00

Can you elaborate on exactly what you mean by unstable?

5 Posts

February 11th, 2013 10:00

OK, thank you. I will try tommorow...

5 Posts

Screen flashed, touch response didn't give desired response is the best way

828 Posts

Could be a couple things...  I'd first try to disable the LCD ambient light sensor.   Swipe in from right at metro desktop, settings, Change PC Settings, General, screen - adjust my brightness automatically - turn to OFF.

If you're seeing what appears to be the LCD touching itself (ghost touch, little white spots that appear as if your finger was hitting the display), you can suspend and resume to recalibrate the display.   There is a SW patch that you should see tomorrow that should resolve the ghost touch issue permanently as well.

1 Message

April 19th, 2015 11:00

Hello

Please  help not only am I blonde I am not Teccie> I have had problems with a Dell tablet I bought, almost two years ago.....so bad they gave me another on which is xp10 10" tablet. t seems to not get the charge as the cable you have to hold and jiggle a bit to see if the white light comes on....and then when you think it is charging it goes flat  a pancake.

And I cannot get it charged again Do you think it is the cable of the actual bit where you plug it inot on the tablet? I am lost to know or where I can get a new cable? in  the UK/

No Events found!