Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2009 13:00

1600x900 resolution for XPS 8000

I just ordered ,XPS8000 system witht the ICore 7 860 a week or so ago. I was told I had a 20inch 1080p monitor with the system. I spent so much money on the system,I decided to get a nicer monitor later on. The question I have for anyone that cares to answer and would have the experience with the 20inch HD ST2010F monitor that comes standard with this system,(it has no BluRay drive). Will it be a nice monitor to use or should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and purchase another. Say a 22 inch. I was told that the monitor was a 1080 and not what I discovered was a 1600x900. Could someone tell me if I would be OK to use this monitor or is the picture of poor quality. I have heard if you don't get your own monitor ,ou will get junk. Anyone know about the quality of monitor Dell send s with the XPS system?

XPS ICore 7 860

6GB memory

750 Hard Drive Windows 7 Home Premium

4350ATI  512 graphics card

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 5th, 2009 22:00

The manual states that the HDMI Video Display capabilities are: 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080p, 480i, 576i, 1080i. The VGA maximum resolution is 1600x900.

43 Posts

December 6th, 2009 05:00

Well, I have to jump in here on this one, which is not something I would normally do.  

The manual states that the HDMI Video Display capabilities are: 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080p, 480i, 576i, 1080i. The VGA maximum resolution is 1600x900.

Just because a monitor or television will accept a given resolution does not mean it will ACCEPTABLY display it at that resolution.  If a flat panel screen has 1600x900 pixels, which this one does, that is ALL it has, and not a pixel more.  Similarly a large number of HDTV's are 1280x720 pixels and they too will accept a 1080 signal, but it will be downsized, as would be the case with the monitor in question via HDMI.  It cannot display the incoming 1920x1080 signal natively simply because it does not have that many pixels.  It must therefore scale the picture, and in most cases, except with high end televisons/monitors, this results in a VERY noticeable loss of picture quality, which WILL happen with this particular monitor and any like it.  If you are truly interested in watching Blu-ray disks and other 1080 material (e.g., broadcasts, cable, etc.), or viewing anything in higher resolution on your computer (games, pictures, etc.), then by all means, get a "Full HD" monitor (1920x1080).  I'm no computer expert (well, to some people I am), but I am an audiovisual professional and on occasion, I produce high definition video and get paid quite well for it.  I can assure you my answer is the correct one.

18 Posts

December 8th, 2009 06:00

Well, I have to jump in here on this one, which is not something I would normally do.  

[quote user="DELL-Chris M"]

Just because a monitor or television will accept a given resolution does not mean it will ACCEPTABLY display it at that resolution.  If a flat panel screen has 1600x900 pixels, which this one does, that is ALL it has, and not a pixel more.  Similarly a large number of HDTV's are 1280x720 pixels and they too will accept a 1080 signal, but it will be downsized, as would be the case with the monitor in question via HDMI.  It cannot display the incoming 1920x1080 signal natively simply because it does not have that many pixels.  It must therefore scale the picture, and in most cases, except with high end televisons/monitors, this results in a VERY noticeable loss of picture quality, which WILL happen with this particular monitor and any like it.  If you are truly interested in watching Blu-ray disks and other 1080 material (e.g., broadcasts, cable, etc.), or viewing anything in higher resolution on your computer (games, pictures, etc.), then by all means, get a "Full HD" monitor (1920x1080).  I'm no computer expert (well, to some people I am), but I am an audiovisual professional and on occasion, I produce high definition video and get paid quite well for it.  I can assure you my answer is the correct one.

[/quote]Thank you for answering my question,I knew I could get the real answers here!

43 Posts

December 8th, 2009 08:00

You're welcome.  My only other suggestion would be that you go to a couple of stores like Best Buy or Costco, etc. and look at different monitors yourself. They vary a lot and, as is the case with keyboards, mice, etc., you'll be glad you checked it out in person before buying.  I believe both stores I mentioned carry Dell monitors if you want to stick with them.

18 Posts

December 14th, 2009 06:00

I took your advice and cacelled the order for the XPS 8000 and ordered the Full HD 22 inch monitor . It was gonna be the 20inch as I stated earlier,but the more I thought of what you said,you were right I am sure, so, I went ahead and ordered the Full HD 1080 monitor. Thank you for the reply as I seen to trust what you said even though I don't know you from Adam,Thanks again........

No Events found!