Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2001 18:00

17" Flat Panel Monitor flickers

The only resolution that is acceptable is 1024X768. As soon as we increase it to 1248X1024 is has a flickering throughout the screen. And lower resolutions don't appear very good in quality. Any suggestions for possible fixes. Any known quality issues with different resolutions?

• 

17K Posts

April 11th, 2001 13:00

pmaxwell,

Thank you for using the DellTalk Forum.

You can try changing the refresh rate to stop the flickering. To change the refresh rate you can go in the Display properties in the control panel. You then can click Settings | Advanced | Adapter and you should then see where to change the refresh rate. Try setting it to 75 hz to see if that will resolve the flickering.

2K Posts

April 16th, 2002 13:00

To the original person -- did this solution work? We are getting ready to buy a few Dell FP monitors

2 Posts

April 16th, 2002 13:00

It has been awhile since I've been involved with this, but as I recall there was one Resolution and Refresh Rate (they were the recommended ones) that worked. Any other setting varied the flickering to different degrees. If you can get away with using that setting only, they are great monitors.

December 9th, 2002 17:00

I'm running a dell 1800fp (18" Ultra Sharp) using a Radeon 7500 digital/analog video card. When I use the digital cable, the monitor looks great for about 30 minutes, then begins blacking out. It's not a flicker or occasional blur (I get that too), but it is a complete black-out for about 1-2 seconds. I've checked my cables and card seating. I've reinstalled both the dell monitor drivers and also the video card drivers, but to no avail.

Using the analog cables, their is no problem with the black-outs, but the quality is so-so (bad ghosting of images). I am running it with the factory recommended settings (1280x1024 @ 60/65htz) on a dell 8250.

My best guess is a faulty video card (which I will RMA this week) except for one thing... Once the black-outs start, they are frequent (maybe once or twice a minute for a couple seconds). But if I turn the power off on the monitor, then back on, the black-outs stop; for a while.

Any advice is appreciated!

3 Posts

January 24th, 2003 21:00

Did you correct your problem?  I am having the same issue with 3 machines

• 

17K Posts

January 27th, 2003 10:00

DudeFixMyMonitor,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Try just using either Digital or Analog only. If you are wanting to use the Digital you can unplug the Analog cable to see if that will resolve the issue you are having with the monitor.

3 Posts

January 31st, 2003 19:00

I tried changing Refresh Rates, frequencys, resolutions, high color, 16 bit, 32 bit, hardware acceleration set to none, New updated Radeon/Driver Control Panel, default monitor, plug&Play monitor, nothing worked.  Same symptom, blackouts, then finally the mouse becomes frozen.

So, removed Radeon 7500 card, let it find it's internal intel graphics card, guess what?! Same problem.  Tried all the other scenarios mentioned above.  I have tried differenct monitors, cables, I even thought it might be a power flux and hooked them into a surge protector/UPS.

This is happening with 1700FP and 1900FP, running with Optiplex GX260, running Win2000.

Any ideas?

12 Posts

March 10th, 2003 08:00

hey,

I have a similar problem, though I'm not using a dell monitor or a dell pc. I'm posting here since this was the only thread I'd found on the Net about this situation.
I'm using a hercules 3d prophet II gts pro with an analogue video cable.
I bought this new cornea CT1700 flatpanel and it worked fine the first two days. Since then I was getting black outs. The display dissapeared, came back..and so on.
So I went to the store, explained the problem and got another one.
The new one worked fine for a day...then,same problem.
I'm also working with win2000.
I've changed the video drivers, but it's still the same.
I've even reinstalled windows 2000, and used a default graphics card driver, but I still get the same problem.
So Cass7 I was wondering if your problem was solved.

3 Posts

March 10th, 2003 12:00

No.  I have changed out the entire machine (even a different type of video card), monitor, cables, and all of the different monitor and video adapter settings..  My next step at this point is to backup the profile and try another hard drive (we have imaged drives). 

12 Posts

March 10th, 2003 13:00

I took my TFT to work, hooked it up to a Dell optiplex GX260....and now it works fine. Didn't get a single black out all day. So I'll swap my vidcard with one of a friend and I'll see how that goes.
Let's hope that it works...if not...

4 Posts

April 20th, 2003 01:00

I have the exact same problem.  This is a very annoying problem for an otherwise great monitor.  The screen randomly goes blank for 1-2 secs and comes back on (this is not a "flicker").  This comes and goes.  I have found that when I am scrolling a long page of plain text very fast with the roller wheel of the mouse, I can usually force the "black outs" to occur.  I have tried many different display settings and updated all drivers with no luck.  As a side note my father just bought a gateway with the exact same problem on a CRT monitor.  An updated driver cured his.  Maybe this is a driver issue?????

Dell Please Help!

I am running an 1800FP w/ Sapphire ATI Radeon 9000 using DVI.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2003 16:00

I am having this problem as well. I am using a Sapphire Radeon 9000 Pro. A CRT is plugged into analog, and I have the Dell 1800FP plugged into the DVI, and when scrolling quickly through webpages, my monitor blacks out for a few seconds as well.

8 Posts

June 27th, 2003 00:00

I'm having the exact same problem with my 1800FP-- the screen turns black for 1-2 seconds! I'm running on a Radeon 8500 LE. Anyone come up with a fix yet?

Message Edited by arabia on 06-26-2003 06:45 PM

8 Posts

July 1st, 2003 06:00

I called Dell a few days ago and they shipped a replacement (refurbished) monitor, which arrived today.

Surprise, it has the same problem! I'm really not sure what to do at this point-- no one at Dell has any clue as to what the real problem is, and I'd rather not have to keep exchanging monitors.

Mods, any suggestions?

2 Posts

August 27th, 2003 08:00

My Moniter blacks out too! And it's driving me crazy. I have a Dell flat panel 17' and it just started doing this. Machine is about a year old. I have tried everything to get it to stop but nothing seems to help. Blacks out about every 1/2 hour for 1 or 2 seconds. It also blacks out briefly when loading up right after I turn it on.

Help!

No Events found!