Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2003 21:00

2001FP Picture Kinda Grainy - Anything I Can Do About It?

Hi All,

I just got a new Dell 2001FP. I am very happy with the monitor, no dead pixels and the white spot issue doesn't exist on mine. However compared to my Dell 1900FP the picture looks kinda grainy, like you can almost see the pixels on the screen instead of the picture being clear and smooth.

Is there any adjustments or tweaks that can be made?

I am running the 2001FP on my ATI 9700 video card using the DVI connection. I have the resolution set at 1600x1200, color depth 32-bit, refresh rate 60Hz, and the Dell 2001FP drivers installed...

Thanks!

Schnieds

385 Posts

December 10th, 2003 21:00

have you installed any hardware or software which could have prompted this problem? did your monitor come w/ a software cd? if yes, try installing the software. if it didn;t come w/ a software, try upgrading the drivers for the video or change the resolution of your video settings.

24 Posts

December 10th, 2003 23:00

Thanks for the suggestions Rache623, my answers are below:

Yes, the drivers for the 2001FP are installed (see my orginal post.)

Drivers for my ATI 9700 are the latest Cats available.

Changing the resolution would only make the picture worse. LCD monitors have a native resolution (which for the 2001FP is 16x12), if they are run at a non native resolution the image is forced to be stretched or shrunk to fit the screen and the result is a non-clear picture (although the 2001FP does do a nice job of displaying non-native resolutions.)

Anyone else have any ideas?

17 Posts

December 11th, 2003 03:00

I just got my 2001FP today. (Much faster than I expected. Woo Hoo!)

I'm pretty sure I see the issue you're talking about. The grainyness seems to be due to a relatively thick black border around each pixel.

If that's the effect that's bothering you, I don't know what you can do to reduce the effect, since it is a property of the LCD screen itself, rather than any software.

Perhaps you could apply a slightly blurry plastic film over the entire monitor, which would spread the light from each pixel. I think that's what some other LCD monitors do.

December 12th, 2003 04:00

Man your are VERY sharp... you gotta be seing the inter-pixel bands... that's SMALL - to me at least. So comfort yourself in knowledge that your eyesight is still perfect and more :)

4 Posts

December 13th, 2003 19:00

I just got this monitor as a stand alone product and I am experiencing the same exact issue. It really is quite annoying. It definitely appears to be that the black borders of the pixels are showing. I hav not seen this on any other LCD monitor before.

Is it supposed to be this way? I have noticed a lot of other people that are complaining about this same issue on other forums.

-Doug Cure

Message Edited by dougcure on 12-13-2003 03:51 PM

10 Posts

December 14th, 2003 04:00

Same problem here. For $800, I expected The Monitor :)

No dead pixels, but it does have the white problem, plus the grainy look - I don't think I want to keep it. It is possible to return the monitor without paying Dell restocking fee?

December 14th, 2003 14:00

Send the monitors back.  Dell, after seeing the 2001Fp being returned in number's, might just fix or recall the darn thing..I have noticed a number or posts regarding the grainy images and I for one would just as soon send it back and get  the 1901FP instead.

What am I saying, Dell would never recall their monitors.  Just send it back because you will be looking at the monitors all day long and will be very unhappy with the grainy appearance, and it will be too late after the thirty days are up.. 

720 Posts

December 15th, 2003 01:00

One more time: SEND THEM BACK!

10 Posts

December 15th, 2003 05:00

Yes, I will return it. Do they send me a return label or do I have to pay for shipping? Even though I don't have any dead pixels, the whitish upper edge looks like a defect to me.

Now it is back to my old crt. Glad I didn't give it away :)

No Events found!