Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 3rd, 2006 03:00

2005FPW Monitor

I recently purchased Dimension 9150 along with 2005FPW monitor. I have some questions regarding the monitor. Please let me know if anyone of you have the answers for the same.

1) Monitor came along with a VGA card attached to it. Is this how dell delivers the monitors to everyone.
2) There are some scratches at the back of monitor where it holds to stand. Should I assume that Dell did some sort of QA testing before sending the monitor or is it a returned/refurbished piece.
3) It was mentioned that stand is height adjustable from 0 to 100mm, but I am able to keep either at 0 mm position or 100mm (full height) and not in between. For example if I am want to keep at 50mm height, stand is not holding in that position. Is it how the stand works or mine is not working.

Regards,
Naveen

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 04:00

1) Mine did as well and I have the same question. I'm assuming this is the way they come if we both had the same issue.

2) Scratches? No there shouldn't be any scratches, though it is possible it happened during manufacturing.

3) The stand is adjustable anywhere in between those heights, mine is. If anything your stand isn't working properly.

96 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 12:00

Your stand is only adjustable AFTER attaching it to the monitor panel.

581 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 12:00

1) Yes, for some odd reason they are shipped with the blue VGA attached. Strange, considering what most people will do is immediately pop it off and use the white DVI cable instead.

2) Shouldn't have been any scratches and they must specifically label refurb'd equipment as refurbished.

3) If the stand won't hold an interim height, meaning if you set it at a half height and it sinks down all the way on its own, then the stand is defective. In other words, it should stay where ever you put it. I've found that pushing the monitor down is relatively easy, while extending it back up can take a little extra effort.

8 Posts

February 4th, 2006 12:00

Hello,

My monitor also came with the blue cable attached. What is the difference in removing that off and putting on the white one? Would that have anything to do with the monitor not being able to set the resolution at the 1680x1050. Mine can only be set at 1600x1024.

Can you help me?

Ernestine

581 Posts

February 4th, 2006 13:00

White one is the digitial/DVI cable, so you'd have to have a video card with a DVI port to use it. Most video cards have different capabilities, I do believe, between their VGA (blue cable) and DVI (white cable) ports when they have both. First thing you'd have to let us know is what video card you are using and what drivers you have installed for it.

And which cable are you using now that is limiting your resolution?

581 Posts

February 4th, 2006 14:00

Right... there is absolutely no need to have a Dell system to be able to use a Dell monitor. I don't have one, for example, but am happily using a 2405FPW on my homebuilt rig.

You still need to answer the questions about the video card and drivers. You'll probably need to upgrade to a 'better' one, if possible, in order to get the best out of that new monitor - one that has a DVI output and supports the native resolution of the monitor.

8 Posts

Hi,

I'm using the blue cable,I found out that there is no place on the back of my computer to plug in. I do not have a Dell system and was told before I ordered monitor that my system was compatable. I have an HP pavillion a450y. The highest resolution setting for me is 1600x1024.. and I need 1680x1050. I used the link for changing resolution for non-dell system that came with cd but still have no clue.:smileysad:

I'm getting frustrated!

Ernestine

8 Posts

ok..thank you...I have a feeling  I may not be able to get the resolutions I need since I have no way to hook up the white cable. 
Thanks for your time
Ernestine

8 Posts

February 4th, 2006 15:00

I found out how to get the 1680x1050 resolution....but I really don't see much difference... I'm just happy to see those numbers!:smileyhappy: I now feel that I did something right...I was able to go to web site for NVIDIA and downloaded updated driver..I guess everything is ok now that I got the resolution I needed?

581 Posts

February 4th, 2006 15:00

Well... if you'd like some help figuring out what options you have, post back. Details on your current system would help or I guess we can try and go look it up for you if you aren't really sure what's under the covers.

You might also try contacting HP support and see what they suggest would help you use that monitor.

581 Posts

February 4th, 2006 18:00

Yes, it sounds like you should be fine now. Next option would be to look at upgrading your video card so that you can take full advantage of the monitor, but if it's working for you via the blue VGA cable and you are happy with it there's no rush on that.

8 Posts

I guess that could be another option..Any idea how I do that.? Guess I would have to contact HP for that? If it means getting another system,that will have to come at another time:smileyhappy:

Thanks for responding

Ernestine

581 Posts

Yes, contact HP and ask them. Sometimes it's a simple swap of the cards, sometimes it a little harder and sometimes its not possible at all without buying a new system. They would know.

Good luck! :smileywink:

8 Posts

February 4th, 2006 20:00

OK Craig,

I'll do that. Again,thanks for all your help

Ernestine

10 Posts

February 4th, 2006 22:00

blue VGA = max of 1680x1050 resolution

DVI will only give you 1600x900
No Events found!