Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

May 15th, 2009 09:00

2009w brightness issues

I have a new 2009W monitor that has a few problems with the backlight.

First and foremost, the image is way too bright, to the point where I cannot stare at web pages with white background for too long. I have the brightness setting turned all the way down to 0. I also tried to fiddle with the other display settings, but those just change the image colour, not the backlight.

Second, there is a very noticeable difference in illumination between the upper and lower parts of the monitor. Text that appears grey at the top becomes bright white when moved to the bottom.

Finally, there is a high pitched sound whenever the monitor changes modes (my Linux box boots in text mode, and then switches to graphics at the end of the boot sequence).

Is there anything that can be done, or should I return/replace the monitor?

Thanks,

--Elad

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 16th, 2009 00:00

elahav,

What operating system?
What video card?
Have you tested both the VGA and the DVI?
Is the desktop resolution set to 1680x1050?
Have you used the OSD (On Screen Display) -Other Settings- Factory Reset?
What is the Monitor 20 digit Serial PPID number?

Post a picture of the backlight and brightness issue here.

4 Posts

May 16th, 2009 06:00

* Video card: nVidia 8200 (on-board)

* I tried both DVI and VGA. With DVI the problem is more pronounced, but it exists with VGA nonetheless.

* Yes, the desktop resolution is set to 1680x1050

* I tried the factory reset, to no avail.

* The PPID is CN-0G433H-74445-941-BYSL

Thanks,

--Elad

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 16th, 2009 11:00

Can you post a picture of the backlight unevenness and brightness?

4 Posts

May 16th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Chris.

To preempt the obligatory "this is Linux's fault", I temporarily installed Windows XP on the machine. The problem persists. Here's a link to a picture I took:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~elahav/dell_backlight.jpg

I'm not sure how revealing it is, but the bottom part of the screen is more illuminated than the top. Also, the monitor is currently at 0 brightness, and still the picture is quite bright.

Thanks again,

--Elad

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 16th, 2009 20:00

All TN Film panel monitors with a reduced viewing angle of 160° will have the uneven backlight gradient. The higher cost S-IPS and S-PVA panels do not have this. As far as the brightness, you could initiate a monitor exchange and compare the two.

No Events found!