Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 12th, 2006 18:00

2405FPW 'DVI-D Cannot display this mode' (yes another one)

Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24" LCD Monitor (bought from Overclockers.co.uk 1st Oct 2005).

All the other posts in this forum concerning the OSD message: 'Cannot display this mode' seem to relate to outdated hardware, ie PCI slots or onboard graphics. My new self built system has been fine up until last week when this message first started to appear while loading game content from the Hard Disk during some games. Now the message appears and flashes continually for a few seconds before killing the display at the Windows XP log in screen. The display comes back either by rebooting or waiting a while until it comes back by itself. I'm at a loss as to figure this one out so I open it up to the 'experts' here on this forum.

These are my specs. The only change to my rig that preceded the problem was a BIOS update and moving my video card to PCI-E slot2 (below the Northbridge), although the problem didn't occur for at least 1 to 2 months afterwards:

Mobo: DFI Lanparty UT RDX200CF-DR Crossfire
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dualcore 4800+ ~2.4Ghz
FAN: Zalman CNPS7700-cu
O/S: Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
RAM: 2Gb OCZ Platinum PC3200 Dual Channel EL-DDR CAS2
PSU: Hiper Type-R Series 580W
HD: 160Gb SATA300 Western Digital WD1600JS Caviar SE
200Gb Maxtor OneTouchII (External USB HD)
Drives: MSI 52x32x52 CD-RW, LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B
Graphics: Connect3D Radeon X1800XT DX9.0c Catalyst 5.11 (current)
Sound: Creative Audigy2

4 Posts

January 13th, 2006 17:00

Hehe, I just posted a thread about the same issue3 with my 2005fpw.

I get my Cannot Display This mode during bootup. But once Winxp loads the desktop, i can see things again. I wonder what is the cause...

January 15th, 2006 12:00

Be carefull if you're going to try installing a different driver for your monitor. I did that and when I rebooted I got no display at all. Right where the XP log in should be I couldn't see anything. I had to hit the restart button on my case and this messed up my Hard Disk, or seemed to, as all I got was a BOOT DISK FAILURE message at the POST. This went away after leaving my PC off for a while but I still couldn't see anything when XP loaded so had to reformat and reinstall XP (good job I had a back up of my files on an external HD uh?). Do you have any components/drivers that are the same as mine? perhaps there's a conflict somewhere?

4 Posts

January 16th, 2006 00:00

Nope. All my hardware is cheap stuff:

Abit NV8
Sempron64 2800+
60gb IDE, 200gb IDE
PQI 2x512mb ram
Geforce6600gt 128mb PCI-Ex16

16 Posts

January 20th, 2006 19:00

If you choose a resolution the monitor can't support it'll show that message. Make sure you're not trying to use the wrong resolution. Boot the PC into safe mode and select something known to work. Make sure whatever settings you use in the games will likewise work. Also make sure the driver for the display card isn't causing the problem. Some bleeding edge versions of the drivers are known to cause trouble as they attempt to fine tune themselves for various games. This "shouldn't" be an issue but it comes up quite a lot. Sometimes switching back to a previous version helps.

1 Message

April 15th, 2006 06:00

I just received my 24" monitor (2nd one as the first had a blank white screen).  I ran into the 'DVI: Can not display this mode' error.  Dell didn't think they could help me during the first call.  They referred me to my computer mfg to get an updated graphics driver, but I already did that.  I called Dell back after getting nowhere with HP (they wanted to charge $45 for Support since the computer is out of warranty).  Long story short, I called Dell and after getting pushed back to HP again, they finally found the answer:

Restart your computer and as soon as it turns on, hit F8 over and over until it goes to the startup screen.  Select 'VGA Mode'.

Once I selected that, my monitor worked just fine.

4 Posts

April 15th, 2006 17:00

F8 is for windows isn't it?

F8 usually prompts up the windows start up mode; safe mode, command prompt mode, normal mode.

I will try this though but i seriously doubt it'll work for my problem since i can see windows fine once it finish booting up.
No Events found!