Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

August 21st, 2007 21:00

2407WFP-HC Doesn't Recognize SD Cards

I just received a new 2407WFP-HC monitor. All is well except for the card reader. It will recognize CF cards in the top CF slot and Memory Sticks in the bottom combo slot, but it will not recognize either a 1GB or a 4GB SD card--both of which work fine in my other readers. It acts like the card hasn't been inserted. I've tried moving my monitor's USB cable among various of the USB 2.0 ports on my computer, but the results are always the same. Time to return the monitor for a new one? Thanks for any help!

10 Posts

August 22nd, 2007 02:00

I am having the exact same problem!  I'm using a 2GB Ultra SD card that reads fine in my camera and my 2405 monitor.  But my 2407 won't read it at all!

I tried an old PNY 128MB SD card and the 2407 reads it just fine.  So the reader is working....sort of.  I'm wondering if its an inherrent problem with the reader and not just my specific monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 22nd, 2007 02:00

All,

The User Guide does not specify the card sizes, but hereare the specifications.  I know the 2407WFP had issues reading SDHC (SD High Capacity) memory cards.

Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 08-22-2007 08:45 AM

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2007 03:00

I've experimented a bit more. I tried an old 16MB SD card and the 2407 reads it fine. It also reads a 1GB Kingston microSD card via an SD adapter. But it won't read a Kingston Elite Pro 50x 1GB SD or a Transcend 150x 4GB SD. I thought maybe it isn't able to read FAT32, but the 1GB Elite Pro is FAT and still not readable.

It reads both a 128MB SanDisk Memory Stick and a 512MB SanDisk Memory Stick with no problem.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Dell XPS Gen2.

Message Edited by highvista on 08-21-2007 09:46 PM

10 Posts

August 22nd, 2007 11:00

OK.  I tried a few more with these results:

1GB PQI MicroSD via SD Adapter:  Reads fine

128MB MiTAC MMC Card:  Reads fine

4GB SanDisk Memory Stick PRO Duo via Adapter:  Reads fine

32MB Sony Memory Stick Duo via Adapter:  Reads fine.

Bottom line is that the ONLY card I haven't been able to read is a 2GB Ultra SD card.  I guess I have one of the 2GB SD cards the reader has a problem with.  Too bad they didn't just use the reader from the 2405!

January 7th, 2008 22:00

Hello: I just purchased a 2407WFP-HC monitor, and am very impressed with the picture quality once I set the red video gain to 86, the green to 85, and the blue to 84. The issue I have with the monitor is that the SD card reader will not read my 1 GB camera card. I called Dell tech support and they did not have a solution for the problem, and shipped out a replacement monitor. However, the replacement has the same issue. I explored in depth the Dell Solution Network by typing in "2407WFP-HC card reader", and went through a trouble shooting process for this problem. The section was identified as wizard ID 314475, what ever that means. After getting to almost the end of the process, it displayed a screen giving the actual specifications that the card readers on this monitor support. It stated that the support for SD cards is from 16 MB to 512 MB, which would explain why so many people are having problems reading cards over 512 MB. I can't believe that Dell would produce a quality, high end monitor like this and not allow for current day high capacity memory cards. The card readers and the USB ports were one of the reasons I bought this monitor, and now I can't use the SD card reader function. I called tech support and asked if there was a fix or a work around for this problem. They reported that there were none to date. Dell is spending a lot of money sending replacement monitors to people that have this problem, seemingly unaware of the card reader limitations. If anyone has any further thoughts on this, please let me know.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 9th, 2008 22:00

All,

None of our current monitors will support the SDHC (high capacity) SD media. Check the packaging your cards came in. If it says SDHC (high capacity), it will not work.

January 9th, 2008 22:00

Thanks for your response Chris. The card I am trying to use is just a standard 1 GB SD card. It states on the Dell trouble shooting guide for this card reader issue, that the monitor only supports SD cards from 16 MB to 512 MB. Can you confirm that the Dell capacity specs are correct? I sure hope that the specs are wrong. These numbers may have been OK 3-4 years ago, but the reader should be able to read at least a 4 GB card by todays standards. Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 10th, 2008 13:00

Big B Tracman,

I could not find that reference. Where was it?

January 10th, 2008 15:00

Hi Chris:

It is wizard ID 314475 found through Dell tech support solutions.  The following is a cut and paste from this:
Memory Card Not Recognized or Working Properly on Flat Panel Monitor
Journal ID:     08010F96H9 Wizard ID:    314475 Date Published:    19/12/2006 Last Revised:    19/10/2007
Dell Solution Network: Step-by-Step Troubleshooting Wizard
STEP: Verify that the storage card is formatted.

Back Next Problem Resolved Start Over Additional Information

To verify that the storage card is formatted, check the following:

• The card reader will read file allocation table (FAT) 16 format. If a computer is available with a card reader, insert the storage card into the computer's card reader and view the file details.
  • Note the storage card type and size. Table 1 lists the supported file sizes by card type. Figure 1 shows some representative storage card types supported by this projector.
NOTE NOTE:  One megabyte is equal to 1,024 kilobytes or 1,048,576 bytes.

CF (Compact Flash): 8 megabytes (MB) - 1 gigabytes (GB)

MicroDrive: 340 MB - 1 GB

Smart Media: 8 MB - 128 MB

Media Stick: 8 MB - 128 MB

MMC: 32 MB - 128 MB

SD (Secure Digital): 16 MB - 512 MB

Table 1 - Supported File Sizes by Card Type

No Events found!