Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2009 09:00

2408WFP - Left Side Brighter & Standby Problem

I just received a new 2408WFP 24" widescreen and have two problems with it.

The left two or three inches of the screen are brighter than the rest of the screen.  It shows up when running PassMarks Gamma test and is most easily seen on the green gamma panel but also on the blue one.  Its also easy to see if you move a portrait of a person with dark hair from the center to the left edge of the screen.  As you near the left edge the dark hair will lose its color and contrast and also take on a green cast.

It also does not come out of standby until Windows XP is almost to a desktop, this means I cant get to a Bios screen on my PC at all.  I'm using a DVI connection to a ATI Radeon 8500 card and I don't have this problem when its hooked to a Viewsonic VP930.  Is there anyway to get the 2408WFP to wake up quicker?

Thanks for any advice.

22 Posts

January 8th, 2009 09:00

I just received a new 2408WFP 24" widescreen and have two problems with it.

The left two or three inches of the screen are brighter than the rest of the screen.  It shows up when running PassMarks Gamma test and is most easily seen on the green gamma panel but also on the blue one.  Its also easy to see if you move a portrait of a person with dark hair from the center to the left edge of the screen.  As you near the left edge the dark hair will lose its color and contrast and also take on a green cast.

It also does not come out of standby until Windows XP is almost to a desktop, this means I cant get to a Bios screen on my PC at all.  I'm using a DVI connection to a ATI Radeon 8500 card and I don't have this problem when its hooked to a Viewsonic VP930.  Is there anyway to get the 2408WFP to wake up quicker?

Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like you have a bad monitor for me. Most Dell monitors come with a 3-year warranty. I would call and ask for a replacement.

197 Posts

January 12th, 2009 19:00

There is nothing wrong with your monitor.  All PVA panels have a color shift that will show it bright on one side when looking at it in the middle.

January 12th, 2009 21:00

Is there anyway to get the 2408WFP to wake up quicker?

One of the replacements (rev A01 I believe) I had before would take ages to wake up using Vista and a Nvidia 8800GT. Sometimes I would have to power cycle the monitor to get it to detect that it had a signal and wake up. I ended up sending it back because no one could solve the problem. FYI, if you send your new monitor back, you will most likely get a refurb and not a new one.. Welcome to the 2408WFP club :( There are a few other threads about the problem with no resolution that I have found.  Please post any updates with the problem- Good Luck!

5 Posts

January 13th, 2009 06:00

"There is nothing wrong with your monitor.  All PVA panels have a color shift that will show it bright on one side when looking at it in the middle."

Yes, VA panels have a color shift when viewing them from the side, but this shows up when viewing it directly from the front.  Its not gradual either as you move towards the side, there is none at all until you are about two inches from the side.

I did find that if you hook up an analog cable and use its input it wakes up much faster, its still slow compared to other monitors I've had though.  It is fast enough to get into the PC's bios screen but you should not have to do this at all if the firmware was working properly.

No Events found!