Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2008 09:00

2408WFP rev A01 is out, but what are the changes?

I have read numerous posts and seen multiple people that claim to have recieved a 2408WFP revision A01.

However, none seem to know what exactly has changed.

The color banding?

The pink hue?

The weird color setting under Windows?

The input lag?

edit: just quick summary:

@Anonymous-Chris_M wrote:
rscot01,

I would wait until at least the 20th of May.

@DELL-Jimmy_P wrote:

Ok folks, here is the official word.

While the currently shipping Dell 2408WFP monitor meets both Dell and industry standard specifications, we have been closely listening to your feedback on the Dell Community Forum. Based on your comments, Dell is working to incorporate a number of improvements into the 2408WFP as a firmware update for new monitors scheduled to ship in mid-July. This firmware update features greater control over sharpness settings, improved power save recovery, and less input lag. Current 2408WFP owners whose specific usage scenario may benefit from the firmware update should contact Dell Technical Support after Mid July to receive the firmware update. If you have any questions please feel free to post them here or contact Dell Technical Support.

Message Edited by PayBas on 05-24-2008 06:33 AM

25 Posts

July 14th, 2008 19:00

How about this model, heard nothing but good things:

NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi-BK

There are also the Doublesight monitors, although nothing but a 26" refurb is available from them for right now. 

Good luck in your search, I may be joining you soon as I have been waiting on my new monitor for over 2 months now as this revision is taking forever to make it to market, never mind letting us know what it will actually address in the long list of grievences.

One quick question, does Dell warranty the backlight for the life of the warranty like NEC does?

Thanks. 

Message Edited by Starkness on 07-14-2008 03:26 PM

11 Posts

July 14th, 2008 23:00

So what happens when the update doesn't fix the input lag or any of the other issues to an acceptable level?  Will Dell then give a full refund?  Or are we going to have a monitor swap Olympics for the next 6 months?  I'm a digital artist and I can't use this monitor for sculpting or painting due to the horrible input lag.  If this "firmware" update does not lower the input lag to a level that is actually useable, then what happens?  Are we out of our money? 

I guess my main question is:  What is Dell prepared to do when this update does not due what everyone is expecting? 

Having a 20-30 ms response time is not what is advertised for this monitor, and if thats the best we are going to get from a firmware upgrade, then I'm afraid I'm going to require a refund.

91 Posts

July 15th, 2008 00:00

@Gates25 wrote:

So what happens when the update doesn't fix the input lag or any of the other issues to an acceptable level?  Will Dell then give a full refund?  Or are we going to have a monitor swap Olympics for the next 6 months?  I'm a digital artist and I can't use this monitor for sculpting or painting due to the horrible input lag.  If this "firmware" update does not lower the input lag to a level that is actually useable, then what happens?  Are we out of our money? 

I guess my main question is:  What is Dell prepared to do when this update does not due what everyone is expecting? 

Having a 20-30 ms response time is not what is advertised for this monitor, and if thats the best we are going to get from a firmware upgrade, then I'm afraid I'm going to require a refund.

If you go back several posts in this thread you will see a dust up regarding this monitor being "within spec" according to Dell JimmyP and that if you needed a monitor with "tighter specs" he opined you would pay much more and suggested the NEC 24 inch professional model.  He also suggested this is a "consumer" monitor and not a professional model, to which I posted a lengthly and unasnwered post stating why myself and likely many others would have been led to believe it was in fact an entry level professional monitor based on advertising and specs.  If I recall correctly the official Dell position originally was that they don't consider input lag to be an issue, but that was updated with info that the new revision update would address input lag and that is as definite as the official position got to this point. 

Sorry for not giving you addresses for the posts, I just don't have time to go back through this entire thread.

I think Dell is prepared to exchange your monitor for a new one, getting a refund after 21 days post purchase may be a much more difficult propostition for you.

4 Posts

July 15th, 2008 00:00

Dell may be unloading this monitor before the new firmware version.  It is being sold with $200 discount now.  http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?config_data=&c=us&cs=6008&eep_orig_cs=6008&fb=1&l=en&link_number=17967581&oc=2408WFP&s=eep

11 Posts

July 15th, 2008 01:00

Within specs?  Are you kidding me?  It's not even within their own specs.  Currently on dell.com:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6272

Says 2408 has a 6ms response time. 

DELL IS CURRENTLY STILL ADVERTISING THIS MONITOR WITH A 6MS RESPONSE TIME! 

Now the facts are, it's more like 20-40ms AVERAGE.  Can someone please tell me if this is false advertising? 

2 Intern

• 

2K Posts

Pixel Response Time and Input Lag are two different things, although both may be measured in milliseconds. Dell has not published a specification for Input Lag.

105 Posts

I have a 2408 and im a keen gamer. I use the 2408 for crysis on 1900x1200 with high detail and get no noticable input lag. Maybe its because I have a high end system? maybe some people are confusing input lag with their system not keeping up to high demoands from software such as crysis?

In my honest opinion, the 2408 is an excellent monitor for gaming and general use, if using it for photography or applications requiring accurate color reproduction then it needs a fair amount of setting up with additional tools.

In comparison to other monitors such as the syncmaster 244T (gets a fantastic rating) the 2408 stacks up pretty well (although the white banding can be annoying in certain gray tones - but this is only noticed a fraction of the time when used in general purpose).

I have not seen any Dell advertisement suggestion the monitor to be a professional unit - I bought it based on the fact it was a good price for a 24inch monitor that wasnt a TN panel!

11 Posts

July 15th, 2008 02:00

Thx for the heads up on the refresh rate.  I had no idea they were too seperate things. 

I don't really notice too much lag when playing games so much, it's just moving the mouse around Windiows, and apps.  It just feals floaty and delayed.  I have a hard time pin-pointing my selections.  Having just come from work, where I use a less expensive Samsung that works fine, it's especially noticeable.  Just grabbing the mouse and clicking on an icon takes some concentration.  I just hope the new version fixes this.  If not, it's just a total waist for me.

30 Posts

July 15th, 2008 03:00

@Fatchances wrote:
Dell may be unloading this monitor before the new firmware version.  It is being sold with $200 discount now.  http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?config_data=&c=us&cs=6008&eep_orig_cs=6008&fb=1&l=en&link_number=17967581&oc=2408WFP&s=eep

I'm only showing a $100 discount....

91 Posts

July 15th, 2008 03:00

wakarimashta: 

I truly am glad you are having a great experience with this monitor.  I would need it for photography and graphic design and as such have the hardware calibration tools needed to calibrate it, though I have read numerous posts where even with such calibration this monitor can't be tamed for these applications.

As to not seeing a Dell advertisement suggesting this is at least an entry level professional model read my post here http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=91865#M91865 if you have the time and inclination.

I am happy you bought it based on price and it not being a TN panel yet had a good outcome. I however, wanted it based on specs, and as such am ecstatic I waited to see how it performed in the real world. This and numerous other forum posts bear out the wisdom of my prudence, at least for my application.  If I just needed it to play games and watch videos and casual use such as that, I likely still couldn't live with some if this panel's inexcusable glaring quality control issues that so many have experienced.

As for the previous poster noting the fire sale, I noted a while back that this monitor was on the longest running sale in Dell history!

Message Edited by curtis_rick on 07-15-2008 09:37 AM

July 15th, 2008 04:00

@wakarimashta wrote:

I have a 2408 and im a keen gamer. I use the 2408 for crysis on 1900x1200 with high detail and get no noticable input lag. Maybe its because I have a high end system? maybe some people are confusing input lag with their system not keeping up to high demoands from software such as crysis?

In my honest opinion, the 2408 is an excellent monitor for gaming and general use, if using it for photography or applications requiring accurate color reproduction then it needs a fair amount of setting up with additional tools.

In comparison to other monitors such as the syncmaster 244T (gets a fantastic rating) the 2408 stacks up pretty well (although the white banding can be annoying in certain gray tones - but this is only noticed a fraction of the time when used in general purpose).

I have not seen any Dell advertisement suggestion the monitor to be a professional unit - I bought it based on the fact it was a good price for a 24inch monitor that wasnt a TN panel!

I can not believe you are not noticing this insane input lag! You are one of the few! Consider yourself lucky. I haven't even tried a game yet and I can see the input lag in just general Windows usage. Not to mention, Dell has already admitted to the input lag as a problem. I dare not try a game with this monitor. Gee, just what kind of high end system you have over there to compensate for this monitor's extreme input lag. You must be running something only available to the military (must be nice)! There are videos on YouTube that demonstrate this monitor side by side to other monitors and you can visually see the major delay it has. One video shows just a user moving around a window in Windows XP...this Dell monitor takes a while to catch up to re-position the window in it's final position. I actually pulled my video card and replaced it just to have 2 DVI ports to run 2 of these monitors. I put in an ATI AGP 8x HD2400 with 512MB of RAM. I know this is not high end but shouldn't it be enough to drive these monitors??? ...in just Windows (not even gaming). Ok, my system is not high end but it is an Intel P4 with 2GB of RAM. Not enough??? Again, NOT gaming...just want regular Windows to have a decent refresh rate. It gives me a headache to use the mouse wheel like I did on my CRT's. I used to be able to focus on text while wheeling at full speed...not anymore!!!!!! Now it's slow! I-N-P-U-T  L-A-G, folks! Time to order up a couple NEC IPS-type panel monitors or something of the like! And, I did not even re-touch on the poor color management for sRGB images on this post! Dell, you got a hot RMA coming in! Either give me a definite date for this firmware upgrade AND what the fixes are or give me a refund!

18 Posts

July 15th, 2008 11:00

@ruxjaye wrote:

@Fatchances wrote:

I'm only showing a $100 discount....

True...It was there last night, apparently for only a few hours.

4 Posts

July 15th, 2008 16:00

@wakarimashta wrote:

I have a new high end system too and when i play BF2, COD4, GTR2, RACE07 etc i get more or less sea sick 20 min in the game.. I replaced my CRT with 2408WFP and it looks very nice, but i can not play on it. Even moving applikations in windows feels wrong because of input lag. I tested to run 3Dmark06 on 2408WFP and a 2208WFP in cloned mode, then i used my digital camera to take a photo on both screens at the same time. I noticed that 2408WFP are 4-5 fps slower compared to 2208WFP. Moving a window on both monitors at the same time shows a "rubberband" effect on 2408WFP. I now have to use the smaller and cheaper 2208WFP and my wife got the 2408WFP.......... Graphics on 2408WFP looks incredible but Dell must the fix input lag now!

30 Posts

July 15th, 2008 16:00

It's too bad I missed it, at $200 off I might have bought it.

91 Posts

July 15th, 2008 19:00

@Starkness wrote:

6MS RESPONSE TIME! is G2G (gray to gray) that has NOTHING to do with input lag. If you want to bemoan the specs, please grasp them first.

Input lag is a different beast, and involves how long what is being generated on the computer appears on the screen. This monitor does not have advertised specs for input lag, but several highly reputable review sites have this as being just about the worst monitor in its category, which is fine since it is "entry level" according to Dell :smileywink:

Here's hoping the revision comes soon and its changes are publicly announced, and reviewed.

Nowhere is this monitor listed as the 24 inch entry level with regards to its advertising or specs.  The E248WFP is the entry level 24 inch Dell monitor as it is a non-ultra sharp TN panel with far less features and boasting.  The fact that the 2408WFP is not an entry level panel is further evident in this quote from the 2408's info page "Dell Limited Warranty3. Unyielding commitment to quality and the satisfaction of our customers has driven Dell to offer a Premium Panel Guarantee ensuring replacement of UltraSharp series monitors with zero bright pixels. Even if only one bright pixel is found, a free panel exchange is guaranteed during the limited warranty(3) period, so you can rest assured your investment is protected."  This level of warranty is not offered on the TN panel as evidenced on its page. Ultrasharp monitors have never been Dell's entry level, they are the Dell premium panel for the given panel size.

So, I would suggest that before you label this an "entry level monitor according to Dell" that you please have a grasp of the Dell advertisement and warranty copy.:smileywink:

No Events found!