Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2008 19:00

2408WFP - t.v. sound

Hey guys, 

I'll try to xplain this the best I can.  I am using a 2408WFP as the monitor for my computer.  I just decided to hook it up to my cable box via HDMI and then realized that I have no speakers connected to the monitor itself :smileyvery-happy:

So I unplug the speaker from the back of my computer to the monitor and I get sound and it works perfectly.  But, I don't want to do this everytime I want to watch TV on the monitor.  Is there an easy way to fix this?  Do I have to run another speaker setup plugged directly into the monitor port?  Is there some sort of splitter I can use to "T" into the green audio cable that goes into my computer sound card and tv output of the monitor?

Any help and advice is appreciated!  Thanks a lot!

370 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 21:00

Just a thought... you could buy the dell soundbar that goes with the Ultrasharp 2408 (hooks to the bottom of the monitor). It is inexpensive and doesn't take up any desk space. It has an audio cable that runs to the computer, and then then the soundbar would be the source for audio from the computer.

Of course if you use your computer for movies, games, etc., you might not be satisfied with the soundbar output.

17 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 17:00

RChris:

Thanks for the advice and info.  I just checked those speakers out and that might be the route I have to take.  I was hoping that there was an easier solution to getting sound from my monitor (TV source) using my existing speaker setup (Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround Sound).  Oh well,..at least that monitor sound bar is cheap.

Thanks again for the advice.

370 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 18:00

Another thought... (I'm just full of them today), if you have an old AV system (or buy a cheap one), you could run your audio from the computer and monitor into it, and then use it to switch to your existing speaker system. You'd have to come up with some cables that would be mini-plug to RCA-type plugs.

370 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 18:00

I would guess that you could also rig up an A-B switch box--if you got the right kind.  Just don't know enough to advise you on that solution. I've used switch boxes for monitors and printers, but never audio.

You might want to do some research on switch boxes at vendors that sell them, e.g., maybe TigerDirect.com, NewEgg.com, etc.

Have fun!

17 Posts

October 7th, 2008 15:00

Just wanted to update my progress.  First, thanks RChris for your advice and insight.  All your suggestions would have worked perfectly, but I managed to figure out another solution. 

I used a 3.5mm audio cable and ran it from my monitor sound output and into the "control box" for my Logitech Z-5500.  I don't know why I didn't think about it before, but the logitech has an input for external audio sources (ipods, etc).  VOILA! Everything works perfectly.  The sound from the monitor switches off when I'm running the computer and change the input to DVI on the monitor.  When I switch the monitor to HDMI source...the tv sound comes through the speakers.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 8th, 2008 13:00

I did exactly the same thing with my 2408WFP, my IPTV set top box and my Creative speaker system.

But I have a problem (which I already described in a thread here). Maybe you have a solution.

The sound is sometimes very distorted, as if it's too loud. But this does not occur every time I watch TV.  Did you also have this problem or do you still have it?

17 Posts

October 9th, 2008 13:00

King555:

I've been using it for a few days now and watching tv every evening on it and have not experienced any of the problems you have.  No distortion at all. 

I'll be sure to report back if something comes up, but so far all is good.

Not sure what may be causing your issue.  Have you tried connecting the speakers directly to the monitor and not using the external audio input on the logitech control panel?

How long is your HDMI run?  Maybe it's a HDMI cable issue?

I run 20ft. of some serious thick HMDI cable from monoprice.com

There just isn't much to this setup that can go wrong.  We are basically just running a single 3.5mm stereo line from the monitor to the speaker control box.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 9th, 2008 14:00

I use a HDMI cable with a length of 3 ft, not very long. I did not try to connect the speakers directly to the monitor, but I connected the monitor to the line-in port of my soundcard. So I tried two different connections. Both produce the distorted sound. If the problem occurs again, I will test the direct connection.

Message Edited by King555 on 10-09-2008 05:20 PM

17 Posts

I see, my setup is completely different.  My sound does not run through my computer Soundblaster sound card.

I have the logitech z-5500 speakers and they come with a control panel: 

I connect my monitor cable to an external input port off of this control panel.

I did it this way since I did not want my computer to be on all the time to watch tv and hear sound.

If you want, I can plug into my computer sound card (the way you have it set up) and see if I get the same results as you.  Would that help?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

No, you understood me wrong. I also tried this. My Creative Labs speaker system has also this kind of control panel. And I also tested the line-in-port of this panel. This was the first thing I tested and afterwards I tested it using the soundcard.

17 Posts

October 9th, 2008 15:00

Oh, ok... my bad.

Sounds like you eliminated several items that could be causing problems.  It's not the control panel and it's not the sound card since it happens with both?  All that is left is the monitor's audio output, the hdmi signal/cable going into the monitor and the 3.5mm audio cable coming from the monitor to the control box or sound card.

Like I said earlier, I've been running it this way for over a week now without any issues.  I've watched dvr programs for several hours and a movie with the sound turned up.

I'll be sure to post back if I experience any issues.

Sorry I'm not very much help here.

Good luck and if you figure out the problem, please post an update.

No Events found!