Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

1 Message

January 29th, 2019 21:00

AC511/M, Soundbar hissing issue fixed?

These are attachable speakers that attach the monitor. I bought 1 of them years ago and it had horrible white noise/hissing problem. I tried it on 3 different computers, all computers had the issue. It's really annoying in a quiet room. I exchanged and replacement exact same issue. I did some digging in reviews and it was a common problem a lot of people complained about, apparently it's not shielded properly from interference, so I returned it for a refund.

Fast forward a year or so later, I really need a speaker and want to give this speaker another try. I spoke to a Dell rep that said the issue has been resolved, but if you sort by new on the product page, you can see some reviews from this year complaining of the same background hissing issue. Even on Amazon if you sort by new, you see some recent complaints about it. And lastly, you can see a forum moderator saying they don't consider it a problem and won't be fixed, so lots of conflicting info. Also kind of weird the thread was locked, yet tons of people complaining.

With that said, has anyone recently ordered the AC511 or the AC511M? Apparently the M model is the same speaker, just with a bracket. Have they really revised them to fix the background noise hissing? I don't want to waste my time and money on returns/exchanges if they haven't addressed the issue. Thanks.

4 Posts

June 12th, 2019 09:00

I just bought the 'M' model and I can confirm the issue is still there, but mainly because the issue is most severe because of the monitor's USB hub rather than the sound bar itself. I've replied to a slightly older thread on AC511 buzzing white noise. Essentially don't use the sound bar via the Dell monitor's USB port at the back, even though via the side ports was slightly better for my monitor (U2717D) it was still not acceptable in a quiet room with my head not far from the monitor. You need to connect connect directly to the pc/laptop/ps4.

I have a Thinkpad, XP13 and a Macbook Pro connected to my monitor, instead of just switching the single upstream USB cable to the device I use, now I also need to switch the sound bar. It is absolutely disappointing. I wonder if other USB sound devices are this bad at being affected by noisy USB hub.

15 Posts

July 16th, 2019 12:00

We have many of these, some several years old, some brand new. The noise floor is poor and noticeable if you are in a quiet room. Same result regardless of usb ports plugged into, different Dell machine types, different buildings. Even with the volume at zero, you still hear it.  I just tested a few today.

1 Message

March 30th, 2020 13:00

I had similar issue and it seems that the soundbar is very sensitive to wireless adapters situated nearby. I do have USB WiFi adapter next to my LCD screen, as soon as I moved it away the noise disappeared. The right part of the speaker seems to be most sensitive. 

Hope that helps.

No Events found!