Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

December 13th, 2018 14:00

AX510PA or AS501 soundbar, power adapter?

Recently my Dell AS501 soundbar stopped working. Originally purchased perhaps 15 years ago, it makes crackling sounds when I turn on the power, and will work for a few minutes then fade away and no sound. The sound card in my system Dell XPS 435 + UltraSharp 2408WFP works fine with another speaker device. After fruitless troubleshooting I bought the equivalent current model Dell AX510. It also doesn't work on my system. I conclude that the monitor's on-board power supply or connector for power cable from soundbar is faulty.

I asked Dell Canada to exchange my AX510 for an AX510PA which comes with AD/DC adapter, or at least sell or gift me the power adapter as a service repair matter but it is not available, at least not in Canada.

Any advice?

Can I obtain the AD/DC adapter by itself that normally comes with AX510PA?

Can I crack open the 2408 WFP and replace the soundbar power supply connector and or supply itself?

Can I buy an after market AC/DC power adapter of the correct voltage, current and connector center polarity?

I need to check the connector center polarity provided by the 2408WFP and expected by the AX510 / AS501. Also whether a regulated power supply is required or unregulated is permitted. Perhaps there was a mismatch and Dell is responsible to replace.

Thanks in advance.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 14th, 2018 06:00

All hardware listed (XPS 435, 2408WFP, AS501) are out of warranty. Dell is not, "responsible to replace".

I asked Dell Canada to exchange my AX510 for an AX510PA which comes with AD/DC adapter, or at least sell or gift me the power adapter as a service repair matter but it is not available, at least not in Canada. Any advice?
* They cannot do an "unlike" exchange. Nor do they have the power adapter to sell. Return the AX510 for refund to whomever you bought it. Since the 2408WFP DC power connector for Dell Soundbar appears to be faulty, purchase the AX510PA from a Canada reseller. Considering the cost ($61.61), that money would be better used for a stand alone speaker system with sub woofer that connects directly to the XPS 435 audio line out port.

Can I obtain the AD/DC adapter by itself that normally comes with AX510PA?
* No.

Can I crack open the 2408WFP and replace the soundbar power supply connector and or supply itself?
* Unknown. Dell never did this.

Can I buy an after market AC/DC power adapter of the correct voltage, current and connector center polarity?
* Unknown. Dell never tested any after market AC/DC power adapter.

No Events found!