Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2009 09:00

Burning smell Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW

The monitor still works and gives a good picture when connected, but there is a strong smell of burning plastic coming from the rightside of the monitor.

When i connect an USB cable to the monitor and the Macbook, my computer says: "there is a poweroverload on the USB".

From the outside there is no visual of burning damage. 

History:

A few days ago when i plugged in a 8GB USB stick from Sandisk in the upper USB of the monitor, on the right side.

The USB port didnt work, so i tried a different one of the monitor. That one still worked.

After an hour i smelled a strong burning smell of plastic caming from the right side of the monitor.

The things i had connected to the usb Hub of the monitor were: Logitech keyboard and Steelsound 5H soundcard

My question now: is it dangerous to use the monitor? I bought it in 2006, can Dell still do something about it?

I have unplugged the monitor now.

Did the monitor pass the Self Test: Yes

Monitor 20 digit Serial PPID number = GB0P65373583658A1NZL

Monitor ports tested = VGA + DVI

Video card and ports tested = DVI out on Macbook Pro 2007

Operating system = Windows XP SP3 (Bootcamp), 16 november 2009 last time updated

Only Monitor and Macbook Pro were connected on Belkin SurgeMaster 6 ports http://www.norrod.nl/onetrail/images/low/68731-267.jpg

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 17th, 2009 11:00

Did you buy it with a PC which has a 4 or 5 year warranty? If not, we cannot do anything.

1 Rookie

• 

86 Posts

November 17th, 2009 12:00

I'm not familiar with the particular piece of hardware you have, but I am very familiar with the ins-and-outs of electronics and if you are smelling any kind of heat induced smell of what seems to be plastic close to melting you can be sure something is not right and if you can isolate the particular piece of hardware that is causing that, stop using that hardware and call in an electrician. Or take it to a shop. IT IS NOT SAFE!

Don't take any chances, please. Your nose is doing its job and providing you with a warning. Please trust your nose and your instinct that caused you to ask about it here.

By the way, I would be less worried about an actual ignition of something than inhaling noxious fumes that in an extreme case can cause health problems, sometimes immediate. You know, "immediate" like in passing out.

2 Posts

November 17th, 2009 12:00

No i bought it separately.

But what do you think is the problem?

Is it save to use it for now?

No Events found!