Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

9 Posts

November 19th, 2018 17:00

DUCCS, future updates?

Will there ever be any future updates to this DUCCS (Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration System) software?

Can Dell allow third party software like DisplayCAL to upload LUT's into the calibration slots in the monitors? 

I have two Dell UP2716D which I'd like to use with this software, but the software has a lot of limitations. So I am forced to use third party DisplayCAL solution. Also the UP2716D locks almost all controls including RGB, when Display Uniformity is turned on. Can there be an update to allow us to use RGB controls when Display Uniformity is turned off? Other brand monitors have these features and allow more functionality.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

November 20th, 2018 05:00

"Can Dell allow third-party software like DisplayCAL to upload LUT's into the calibration slots in the monitors?"

There is a public SDK to upload/download lut-matrix-lut data in CAL1/CAL2. Unfortunately it is nos supported by older models like my U2413 (and it won't be supported) but yours is supported.

SDK is available to WIn Linux and mac platforms.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/es/es/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=jfhnp
This is just a link I found with google. Maybe there are newer versions.

"I have two Dell UP2716D which I'd like to use with this software, but the software has a lot of limitations. So I am forced to use third party DisplayCAL solution."

Solution: C++ program using Dell SDK
As long as you just need a HW calibration at native gamut with whatever whitepoint and whatever gamma an "easy" approach (but "bypassing" the what lut-matrix-lut structure is and all its de-gamma and re-gamma) is to:
-prelut = linear, identity
-matrix = identity (native gamut)
-postlut = ".cal" contents from a GPU calibration at CALx "at factory state" (whithout HW calibration) made with DisplayCAL at your desired gamma and white (full GPU correction to white).
It is the same as you do in GPU but stored in monitor.

If you wish gamut emulations like Rec709/AdobeRGB you are forced to do de-gamma and re-gamma in pre/postluts and matrix gamut emulation which is out of the scope of an user to user forum.
But... it can be done, just need to know how to program in C++ and learn of to do this kind of transformations.

Also notice that DisplayCAL is not likely to put this SDK into its functionality because it is not "universal", just for those Dells.
But other manufacturers with public SDKs like HP have very similar structures so it could be possible to code this kind of functionality at high level in DisplayCAL and use a wrapper for each manufacturer SDK that deals with sending calibration to each brand model (Dell, HP...etc)

My U2413 is not supported (Dell dixit) so I'm not going to be in that "community development" trip.

"Also the UP2716D locks almost all controls including RGB, when Display Uniformity is turned on. Can there be an update to allow us to use RGB controls when DU is turned off?"
Locked. Period.

"Other brand monitors have these features and allow more functionality"
And they have other prices... or those with the same price range only applies brightness uniformity control.  Brightness is not usually an issue, what we suffer is color uniformity issues, pink or green tints across the screen. I guess that this is your situation.
The only proven way of getting rid of these color uniformity issues and at the same time customize the monitor to whatever you want is to buy a NEC PA or an Eizo CG or CS.

November 20th, 2018 07:00

The Dell Display team should be the ones working to fix the software, not consumers needing to learn programming. Other manufacturers are pulling ahead and starting to offer higher-end broadcast quality monitors for movie color grading and broadcast TV, such as Eizo and Flander's Scientific. Those monitors offer accurate displays for people in broadcast production. The Flander's also has SDI ports, true 10-bit, and built-in waveform scopes. I would like to see Dell start offering some of these higher-end solutions for the production industry. The UP2716D is a sharp and good monitor for GUI work, and for some photography, but due to the lack of support and issues with the DUCCS software to try and upload a 3D LUT, it can't be used professionally in the movie industry. Same goes for all of the current model Ultrasharp "PremierColor" monitors.

In fact, right now, DUCCS 1.6.5 is broken entirely. It has stopped working on my system and freezes up. I get to the patch screen, select next, it detects my i1DisplayPro and then the application freezes up. I've tried uninstalling and installing the old DUCCS and updating again to 1.6.5. Nothing works.

In event logs I see Event ID 1001 application Hang.

Fault bucket 1488864462895310657, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Dell UltraSharp Calibration Solution.exe
P2: 1.6.5.7085
P3: 5ad4f259
P4: 5d5f
P5: 134217728
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

November 21st, 2018 12:00

"The Dell Display team should be the ones working to fix the software, not consumers needing to learn programming."

I agree, but that is what you asked: you have 3rd party support. It's an open SDK. Find someone who is willing to write that app, or an exisiting app willing to use it.

Regarding Eizos and Flanders... not the same leage, by 2x ot 5x the price. You pay what you get.

Usually updates are released when a new monitor model with HW calibration is on sale.

November 21st, 2018 21:00

I paid for a monitor that claims to have two Calibration slots. They are basically unusable. The DUCS 1.6.5 freezes up and won't work. Manual says to only connect one UP2716D at a time and disconnect others. That is ridiculous having to unplug cables. The X-Rite iProfiler 1.8.x version works just fine with multiple monitors connected. Unfortunately it doesn't support the CAL1/CAL2 upload slots. Also it is ridiculous that Uniformity Compensation is turned off in these modes. Dell sells this monitor claiming it has Uniformity compensation, but that is only for certain modes. Even in the Custom mode, you have to turn off UC, in order to use the RGB controls, otherwise the controls are locked.

I have two options. Either to sell or return these monitors, or to just use them as GUI monitors and purchase another high-end broadcast quality monitor for color grading.  Does Dell have any more PremierColor monitors on the horizon for next year that are true 10-bit?

It's unfortunate Dell is missing the opportunities here to market high end monitors for film and color grading post production. Even BenQ is coming out with the PV271 that has SDI output although i question the quality of BenQ products.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 10:00

I would avoid jumping on that boat (Dell/Benq) if you have such high expectations for color uniformity, use of UC features and calibration software. Get a CS2730 or a PA271Q.

December 1st, 2018 08:00

I am actually considering a CG2420 or better. Need something with good black levels and that can be calibrated properly. So I tried X-Rite Profiler v1.8.2 with the Dell UP2716D. This version works with two UP2716D monitors attached. Only downside of iProfiler, is that it can't upload LUT to the monitor.

I am not sure why DUCCS v1.6.x requires you to only have one UP2716D plugged in at one time. It is ridiculous limitation. I contacted X-Rite, since they are hosting the DUCCS 1.6.x files, but they said Dell Display team is responsible for updating their software and fixing it.

I would suggest Dell Display Team to please update their DUCCS to the latest X-Rite version and keep it updated. Also fix the issue where it locks up when more then one Dell monitor is attached. How do we send our suggestions directly to the Dell Display Team?

No Events found!