Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2015 18:00

Daisy chaining 2 U2414H's to Surface Pro 3

A month ago I purchased a Surface Pro 3 i7 and a week ago I purchased 2 Dell U2414H monitors plus 2 Startech cables (miniDP2 DP and DP2DP).  I connected the miniDP2DP to the input of the first monitor and then the DP2DP cable to the output port of the first monitor into the input port of the second monitor.  I understood that the Docking Station's miniDP may not support daisychaining so I've plugged this into the tablet's miniDP.

I cannot seem to get the two Dell monitors to act as screens 2 and 3. When I select to extend the displays, if I disable the DisplayPort 1.2 on the first monitor (through the menu Display Settings -> DisplayPort ->Disable / Enable) I can get the screen 3 to be a duplicate of screen 2 but if I set it to Enable, screen 3 is blank.  When I change screen 2's setting back to Enable, I get a warning message that I need to ensure the graphics card supports MST / DisplayPort 1.2.

I have checked the graphics driver and firmware for the monitors and the Surface Pro 3. I tried the two cables provided with the monitors, all to no avail.  I have called both Microsoft technical support and Dell technical support and both tell me that their components are working fine, its a problem with he other company's product. 

I've seen several posts on this site but I haven't seen a good answer to my problem yet.  Anyone out there who has had this issue and found a solution?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 1st, 2015 19:00

* Run all Surface Pro updates

The SP3 Dock is using its 48w power cable and the SP3 is docked
* SP3 Dock mDP out --> Dell mDP to DP cable --> #1 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Enabled)
* #1 monitor DP out --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> #2 monitor mDP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Disabled)
-or-
* SP3 Dock mDP out --> Dell mDP to DP cable --> #1 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Enabled)
* #1 monitor DP out --> DP to DP cable --> #2 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Disabled)

The SP3 is using its 36w power cable and NOT docked
* SP3 mDP out --> Dell mDP to DP cable --> #1 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Enabled)
* #1 monitor DP out --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> #2 monitor mDP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Disabled)
-or-
* SP3 mDP out --> Dell mDP to DP cable --> #1 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Enabled)
* #1 monitor DP out --> DP to DP cable --> #2 monitor DP in (DisplayPort 1.2 Disabled)

* Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and tap Devices. If you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and click Devices
* Tap or click Project, and then choose one of the following options:
PC screen only = SP3 only
Duplicate = Clone mode
Extend = One giant desktop
Second screen only = No SP3, just the monitors

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 10:00

I followed all the instructions but it didn't work.  Then, although it shouldn't have had any effect, I switched the cables and monitor settings between screens 2 and 3 and it worked.  I switched the monitors on the stand (I have a single two monitor stand) to match the screen flow and it seems to be operating as required.

No Events found!