Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2013 11:00

Decoding a DELL Monitor Serial Number using EDID

Hi All,

I am recovering the EDID of all monitors in my enterprise - the Dell Monitor EDID is posing a bit of a problem.

Decoding the Hex value in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Display\wmi-lookup\wmi-lookup\Device Parameters" provides me most of the PPID but NOT all of it.

I would like to know how to retrieve the rest of it, and whether or not it has any importance (ie. are the results worth the efforts )

For example

PPID on the Monitor is CN-0V6WMN-72872-14L-0RYI

PPID extracted from registry is  V6WMN14L0RYI

So, as you can see, I am missing the leading CN-0. I believe that this is not important.

V6WMN - this corresponds to the Part-Number, and allows me to identify the correct model.

I am also missing the 72872.....and I do not know where this can be found in the registry, or what it corresponds to. It does not appear to be unique to each SN, but these 5 digits do seem to vary according to something (not strictly related to the model).

14L - this is a representation of the manufacture date.

0RYI - I do not know what this means, and probably don't need to.

Thanks

Jif

November 22nd, 2013 13:00

Maybe I can make this an easier question to answer by dividing it into two parts...

What does the section  containing the 72872 actually correspond to?

If I need to include that section in the serial number, can this be found in the registry somewhere?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2013 10:00

CN-0V6WMN-72872-14L-0RYI

CN = China
V6WMN = Dell Part number
72872 = Manufacturer Factory (confidential)
14L = Date code (Year, Month, Day)
0RYI = Manufacturer code (confidential)

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 25th, 2013 10:00

is the 'Factory' a required part of the serial number when requesting support?
* No. In fact the PPID number is not attached to any warranty data. The warranty data is attached to the Dell order number. So if bought 50 monitors under one Dell order number, we would look up the order number to see the purchased warranty period. But we would not know the 50 unique PPID numbers of those 50 monitors.

November 25th, 2013 10:00

Thanks Chris,

is the 'Factory' a required part of the serial number when requesting support?

I can create a script that pulls the monitor EDID from the remote system and populate a table with these numbers but, as testing has revealed, it will be missing the Manufacturing Factory section.

Our current procedure has somebody walking through the floors of our buildings, noting the S/N & Location etc of the monitors and the systems they are attached to. If I could replace that process with an effective script, then I would never have to buy a drink again.

Thanks 

1 Message

December 5th, 2013 09:00

In regarding to the Dell Order Number (Serial Number), (e.g. CN-12ABCD-12345-12A-1234-a01), are there instructions posted on the public Dell site regarding the field definitions, in particular defining the Date of Manufacture section (12A, as shown above)?

The only information I can find is within the forums.  I have searched the Dell 'Recycling / End-of-Life Service Information' and the 'Dell Corporate Environmental Information' areas to avail.

My compliance area is telling me there are jurisdictions which require the Date/Year of manufacture applied to product shipping into those locations. 

One such example would be China, which requires the year of manf be applied on the product, which servers as the starting date for the China EPUP Mark II (Environmental Protection Use Period - EPUP). 

Thank you. 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 5th, 2013 12:00

are there instructions posted on the public Dell site regarding the field definitions?

* I have never seen them on any Dell site.

No Events found!