Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 30th, 2010 08:00

Dell 2005FPW not picking always up input signal...

I've had this monitor for about four years. It's been a wonderful monitor. Heck, it's still a wonderful monitor. Widescreen, a great native resolution. No major problems. No dead pixels. Only a couple of minor "stuck" pixels. This is my general use monitor for video, photos, gaming; you name it; pretty much any and everything I do with my computer.

The only problem I've started to notice is that every now and then, when I'm booting my computer, the amber, "no-signal" indicator stays on and no image is displayed. It only happened very infrequently until recently but has started happening more and more now. At first I wasn't certain if it was the monitor or the DVI cable or my graphics card that was at fault but I'm fairly certain it's my monitor. Through trial and error, I've determined that, whenever this situation occurs, if I unplug my monitor, wait about ten seconds, then plug it back in, everything is fine. Just turning the monitor off and back on doesn't work. I have to actually unplug it. Once, I do this though, everything is back to normal and I have no problems again until sometime in the future when I'm booting. Not every boot, but just some, but, like I said, it is starting to happen more and more frequently.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Is my monitor starting to go and should I start shopping around for a new 1080p monitor? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

- Byron Followell

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 30th, 2010 20:00

Is this occuring when the PC is in a sleep state and you wake it up or is the PC in an off state and you power it on?

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

January 31st, 2010 05:00

Thanks for the reply Chris. The way I have my computer setup, it never goes into a sleep state. I've never had a lot of luck with desktop computers and sleep states. The situation I've described always happens at boot-up from a full shut-down state where both the computer and the monitor have been shut-down. I've never noticed it if the computer and the monitor were both up and running well and I rebooted for some reason. It's only from a full boot where both the computer and the monitor have been turned off for some time, usually overnight.

Thanks for the reply.

Sincerely,

- Byron Followell

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 1st, 2010 06:00

So in the morning, are you turning the monitor on first, then the PC?

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

February 1st, 2010 08:00

Sometimes, typically I think I will turn the computer on when I first get up, then go eat breakfast or whatever, then turn the monitor on when I come back later to use the computer. I know there are times when I've turned the monitor on first and this has still happened but this is not my typical procedure.

I'm not sure it should make a difference though, assuming everything is working correctly, correct? I've done this for years with one monitor or another and this issue has only started fairly recently.

Also, just to clear this up before it comes up, since I see that you're a desktop liason; this is not a Dell PC. I've always been too specific about my computers and what I want in them to go with anything less than a full custom system and, since that would cost me an arm and a leg, I've always build my own. The only Dell item in the mix is my monitor.

Thanks.

- Byron

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 1st, 2010 14:00

The monitor sounds faulty.

February 2nd, 2010 16:00

Hi,

I dont think you have a faulty monitor, mine is doing exactly the same thing, if i connect my PC the DVi cable (which is DVi-DVi) it works.

However if i use the HDMI-DVi cable and plug it into my laptop (using the HDMI socket) the monitor is permanently in standby, but my laptop recognises the screen and even gives the name in the nVidia control panel!

the only other thing is that we both have faulty monitors with the same problem!!

P.S. I also have a complete custom system, roughly £3500, and my laptop IS Dell, it is an XPS m1530.

MG

No Events found!