Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2008 23:00

Dell 2208WFP hisses and turns off after 2-3 seconds

My Dell 2208WFP makes a hissing sound and then turns off after 2-3 seconds. Each time I power cycle it, the same thing happens. The monitor is only a couple months old. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

50 Posts

April 2nd, 2008 00:00

wow that sounds bad... you might want to send it back...

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2008 11:00

rratss,

* Reconnect the monitor power cord to the monitor and the other end directly to the wall socket
* Check it again. If still doing it, get it replaced
I* f you have a service tag number associated with your monitor, you may use Technical Support Chat/E-mail support to setup the monitor exchange. If you only have an Order number associated with the monitor, you must call in, 1-800-624-9896. They will need the following information -
20 digit PPID number on back of monitor
Name, address, phone, email
Order number
Issue
Troubleshooting done

11 Posts

August 1st, 2008 13:00

Has anyone found out what the problem is? We ordered 50 of these monitors 3 months ago and already have 4 that have this problem.

11 Posts

August 1st, 2008 16:00

Thanks. I just hope that its not a trend because we are expecting 50 more next week.

2 Posts

August 1st, 2008 16:00

I had to RMA it

11 Posts

August 22nd, 2008 14:00

Have another one from the old batch of 50 and we havent opened the new batch of 50 yet.
Message Edited by rastew77 on 08-22-2008 10:26 AM

50 Posts

August 26th, 2008 01:00

wow now i'm haveing a problem with both my sp2208 wfp

my built in web cam has a loud static noice and i switch cams and the same thing on both of my monitors

it's so bad that i cant even use it. the video still works, a little fuzzy but the audeo is bad bad bad

also has some kind of feed back, and every 20 sec. or so it clears up for only a few seconds then the static starts up again. i had to unplug my camera and install a cheap old web cam thats very slow but works.

im sad that this has happen now.  I paid a lot of money for this and i cant use it any more.

any idea what might be the problem?

i have the xps 410, duel 2.14 ghz system that has been upgraded, max memery and nvidia 8800 gts video card i'm sick about not able to use my built in cams only to use a $9.00 camera

corsair power supply 620

1 Message

September 19th, 2008 18:00

The organization I work for now has over 20 2208wfp's with this problem after only a few months of being deployed.  We purchased around 1,000 units, but this model's failure rate is much higher than other ultrasharps.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2011 17:00

I have the same issue with the 2208WFP monitor I own.  I had it for about a year and a half and then it stopped working.  the screen powers up and hisses and then after a few seconds turns off.  The blue indicator light is still on, and if you shine a light on the screen you can actually see that the screen is on but barely visible. Seems like the back lighting turns off and will not come back on.  Has anyone figured out if this is a solvable issue for the consumer or just a design flaw for this particular monitor?  I doubt mine is in warranty since I have owned it for about two years or so.  It has been in this condition for about 6-8 months.  I just want to see if it really is a paper-weight and I should get rid of it, or if there is any way of salvaging my investment?

Thanks!

2 Posts

February 26th, 2011 18:00

I'm having this issue with a monitor too.  Naturally, it's out of warranty.  Anyone figure out a repair method?

1 Message

July 11th, 2011 08:00

I have the exact same problem with my 2005FPW.  Has ANYONE (Dell included) discovered a fix for this?  Have had my monitor beyond the warrenty period, and never a problem.  A couple weeks ago, my screen would flicker, then a hissing noise, then turn off (actaully, it is just the back light as I too, like the earlier post, can very faintly see the winodws on my screen).  Then, in the past week, there was no flickering, but the screen would hiss, then turn off after about 10 seconds.  Now the backlight won't come on at all.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 11th, 2011 16:00

thibault_mike,

The only fix for this is to get it repaired. We do not offer this service. This company might be able to help you.

1 Message

June 24th, 2012 12:00

just bought one of these used and discovered it had the same problem...my tech son took it apart and discovered that one of the black power wires was pinched behind the screen and it has worn through.  He re-soldered that part and that issue went away.

1 Message

August 10th, 2013 14:00

I suspect that there's a problem with the CCFL tubes used for the backlight. The hissing is likely high-voltage arcing. (The CCFLs run off of high voltage generated by the inverter circuitry on the power supply board.) One or more CCFL tubes may be defective or broken. The shut-down after so many seconds is the correct behavior of the inverter circuit. If/when it detects abnormal voltage or current to the CCFL tubes, it automatically shuts off as a safety precaution.

Replacement CCFL tubes are available from quite a few vendors on eBay and the Internet. Replacing the tubes is quite a complicated process, based on the two I have done, but it can be done if you are careful. There are how-to-videos around as well.

No Events found!