Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2007 17:00

Dell 2208WFP webcam driver problem

I have the Dell 2208 monitor and after installing the software, the webcam driver does not seem to want to load. I have an error that says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)."

I tried the recommended uninstall and reinstall, but same error. I also tried different USB ports, but same result. The computer is a Dell XPS 400 about 1.5 years old running Windows XP.

Thanks.

Message Edited by whisperwood on 12-27-2007 02:43 PM

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 11th, 2008 12:00

whisperwood,

Great. So you have proved the monitor hardware is functioning. This gives us something to investigate concerning the drivers or the operating system.

14 Posts

January 11th, 2008 13:00

I will do some further tests too this coming weekend - 1. try all the USB ports on my PC (Dell E510) and 2. Repeat the test using the on-board graphics card instead of my ATI Radeon HD 2400.

14 Posts

January 12th, 2008 03:00

I have solved my issue - for now:

I uninstalled my video card (physically removed it) and uininstalled all associated drivers. Went back to on-board graphics temporarily (with VGA cable).

Then I was still not able to get the webcam (or my scanner etc) to work, so I figured there must be a messed up driver file somewhere.
So I did a system restore back to the day prior to installing monitor and graphics card (I received them at the same time).
Connected monitor, and bingo! All works.

I've now set a new system restore point, and will carefully reinstall my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 2400) and drivers. I did find this on the ATI support web-site that points to an issue similar to what I was experiencing:

My re-learned lesson here is the old one of only changing one component at a time, so you know which change caused the issue.

10 Posts

January 13th, 2008 13:00

Thanks for the efforts. I did uninstall all webcam drivers and software and PC picked up a webcam device on restart, but device manager showed same code 39 error so still would not work. I won't be opening the computer and taking out the video card. I will hope for a driver update.
No Events found!