Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2009 23:00

Dell 2209WA Flat Panel Monitor jagged blocky text and fonts?

I’ve got a brand new Dell 2209WA Flat Panel Monitor setup, and overall it is a great product - beautiful colors. I am using the DVI input.

I am on Mac OS 10.4.11 (Tiger) with my PPC G5 dual 2.0, Video Card ATI Radeon 9600, thru DVI input, native resolution 1680 x 1050

All text looks slightly jagged or blocky, even with Font Smoothing in Mac OS X turned on to "Medium - Best for Flat Panel" or even "Strong".

Is there any setting to reduce the jagged or blocky text? I have turned down Contrast and Brightness, and I tried different Sharpness settings...

Does anyone know any fixes or solutions?

Thank you!

1 Message

April 9th, 2009 14:00

Did you find a solution to your problem?

I recently bought a Dell 2209WA and I also experience jagged/blocky text. 

My setup:

MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.6

Resolution 1680 x 1050

DVI input

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 12th, 2009 13:00

All,

I am not sure what we can do. We do not write mac drivers and do not test our monitors in that operating system.

1 Message

April 28th, 2009 07:00

I have got a very similar problem here.

Today I just got a DELL 2408 WFP and I am using it with a Mac G5 Dual processor (Tiger, 10.4.10). Standard AGP  video card: GeForce FX 5200 64Mb.

I have been using an Apple 20 inch display on this machine and bought the Dell as it's cheaper than Apple's 23 inch and also has a lot of extra video inputs which are useful. Having bought a smaller Dell screen  before, to use with a Mac Mini, and been very pleased with it.

But - I was very disappointed when I plugged the G5 into this new screen as the text is just hideous - jaggy, horrible to read, and despite trying to fiddle with the settings, there is nothing I can seem to do to change it.

However, I then plugged the display into my old G4 (mirror door) Dual processor, running 10.3 (Panther) with a GeForce4 MX AGP video card nVIDIA 32Mb.

And, the text all looks fantastic...! Sitting next to an Apple 20 inch display, it is the same crispness.

Whereas with the G5 it was terrible.

So clearly there is nothing wrong with the screen, it's something to do with the video card or the built-in drivers in the Mac, so maybe worth trying a different video card, however obviously this only applies to power macs and no good for Minis or laptops.

I will test later on a mini G4 and my Intel Mini and send another post.

Meanwhile any idea as to why the GeForce FX 5200 on a G5-Dual-1.8 renders such nasty text on this screen would be much appreciated.

I have ordered a PCI Radeon 9200 video card to see if this improves things.

No Events found!