Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 05:00

Dell 2408 wfp - red edge (and HDMI issue)

Hi all, I use this monitor for a number of office tasks including Raw photo editing but often there will be red edge pixels within some parts of the image and around small text.

I thought at 1st it was a software issue so tried using alternatives but without success. More recently I attached a Sony PS3 and notice this red edge on some small text too.

My 2nd issue is with regards the PS3: I have it connected via the HDMI connection and Blu-Ray movies work fine BUT it will not upsample DVD movies yet this feature works fine on a TV.

Also when playing Blu-Ray movies the image is very dark even when setting the brightness to the highest level and if I use the dynamic contrast settings it just not viewable.

1 Message

December 6th, 2008 03:00

Similar problem here. I have my Dell 2408 wfp only a few weeks and also experience that the edges of text are blured and giving a red/blue-ish color. It's like an aura around the text characters. Therefore the text do not show sharp. My eyes are getting very tired when looking at the screen for a period of time. I must say don't have this blur/aura problem when I connect my old Dell 1708 fp to the same videocard outlet and using the same video- and power cable.

I made two photos (using Nikon DSLR with Nikon lens) of the screen showing the Vista dialogue to close IE to show my problem. You will notice the various colors (aura) at the edges of the textual characters and elsewhere. I have done every adjustments to the 2408wfp monitor and videocard but unfortunately no improvements.

http://home.wxs.nl/~avdlaar/Dell_2408WFP_blur-text.jpg
http://home.wxs.nl/~avdlaar/Dell_2408WFP_blur-text-enlarged.jpg

I will call Dell support and ask them for a replacement of my TFT monitor.

1 Message

December 15th, 2008 22:00

The issue with the text has been discussed in another thread.  Possibly due to cleartype issues - turning it off seems to help.  See the link below or, if the link doesn't work, search for "2408 Continued" thread.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19166732/19367511.aspx?PageIndex=10

1 Message

February 14th, 2009 00:00

Hello,

I just got my system today and i'm having the same issue - Red Edge - around text. Did any one find a solution for this?

7 Posts

February 18th, 2009 04:00

Just an update:

I decided to contact Dell and get the other fixed / replaced as it can become quite annoying when working with grey scale photo images.

Received an older refurbished unit (with nice refurbished stickers on it), dirty screen, faulty DVI-1 socket, and terrible image quality being very dull.

The default desktop preset setting has a very green tint and even using the custom settings I was unable to get white to display as white, colours are muted and increasing brightness just produces a milky effect - oh and it still has the red bleed effect.

For multimedia it was totally useless watching a Blu-Ray movie via PS3 with dynamic contrast on as it's just far too dark.

A quick test on the PC of Cod WaW definitely felt as though Input lag is much reduced

Interestingly it is marked A02

I have arranged for another unit but if the IQ is much the same I'll be wanting my old monitor back and just put up with the faults as the primary use is for working on raw photo images.

Update:  There's also over 30 dead pixels littered across the screen - quite disgraceful

7 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 06:00

Well it turned out the monitor shouldn't have gone back into circulation and Dell support were very appologetic and helpful.

11 Posts

February 27th, 2009 18:00

On my brand new Dell 2209WA 22" LCD monitor, I am having the red edge problem with text, also. However, I am running on Mac OS 10.4.11 (Tiger) with my PPC G5 thru DVI input, Video Card ATI Radeon 9600, native resolution 1680 x 1050.

I do have Font Smoothing turned on, but if I turn it off all text becomes even more jagged and blocky. This may be a catch-22 for me, and a deal breaker on keeping this monitor.

See my other posts for explanations.

2209WA 22" LCD monitor - uneven brightness

Dell 2209WA Flat Panel Monitor jagged blocky text and fonts?

5 Posts

February 28th, 2009 12:00

I would recommend calling them, they exchange monitors without any fuss, if there is an issue such as yours.

You keep yours till the replacement arrives and then they have yours picked up separately.

*** Just a thought ***

No Events found!