Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2009 16:00

Dell 2408wfp rev. A02 Power Save Mode Problem

Ok I just received this monitor yesterday and I have had it randomly go into power save mode a few times. I have noticed this monitor is plagued with this problem throughout all the revisions. I am seriously thinking refund here but i want to try to find a fix for it.  I have been using a Samsung T220 for about 6 months with not a single glitch. I have also noticed the left side being less/more bright than the right side just like many other people have complained about. After so many reports of the same problem you would think they would get it right considering how much they charge for these monitors. If anyone has any input about the power save mode problem I would appreciate it. 

Core i7

GTX275

Creative X-FI Fatality Titanium

BFG 550W Modular PSU

Windows 7 RC Build 7100

10 Posts

September 16th, 2009 12:00

I just order one Latitude E4300, Windows XP Pro, Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD and two 2408WFP.  One monitor has this issue and the other don't.  I think this should be a monitor hardware issue.  Change DVI cable will not solve the problem.  Just get the replacement and will post result when I have it tested out.

10 Posts

October 1st, 2009 09:00

I just order one Latitude E4300, Windows XP Pro, Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD and two 2408WFP.  One monitor has this issue and the other don't.  I think this should be a monitor hardware issue.  Change DVI cable will not solve the problem.  Just get the replacement and will post result when I have it tested out.

I did my testing on four 2408WFP monitor with 2 laptop ( DELL latitude E4300 and E5500, both has Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD).  The laptop is connect thought a DELL E-port docking ststion.  Out of those four monitors, only one has this problem. 

Get it exchanged, before it is too late!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 1st, 2009 15:00

All,

I can extract alot of data from your post. What I need are the following sent to me in a Private Conversation to put in unified excel document which I will send to Displays engineering:
Dell PC Service Tag number or Retail PC
Monitor Order number
Video card
Video card driver version (Dell or Retail)
Dell or Retail video card
Operating system
How many monitor exchanges have you already received and what were those dispatch numbers?

13 Posts

October 4th, 2009 14:00

I am having a similar issue with a less than month old 2408WFP.  Chris, I tried to send you a PM but it says we have to be "friends" first.  Please advise.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 4th, 2009 20:00

Check your private message.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 27th, 2010 13:00

What happens when you do it this way, they are both on and working, turn the monitor Off with it's power button, let the laptop go into sleep mode, next day, turn the monitor on, wake up the laptop.

There was nothing in A02 to address powersave issues. Not to day you cannot inititate an exchange and see what happens.

2 Posts

January 27th, 2010 13:00

I've had my 2408WFP for over a year now and the "power save mode" problem seems to be

getting worse and worse.  I think it's a A01.  I have

not tried replacing it yet (does the A02 have this problem?  Some posts seem to suggest it does).

I have the same issue every morning.  I've called tech support and they have no clue.

I wake my Apple laptop up from sleep (macbook pro, 10.5, and now 10.6, tried both

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (256M, rev 3448, gMus ver 1.8.8) and 9600M GT (same),

this laptop comes with both) and then monitor never wakes from sleep mode. 

Sometimes, it takes about 5 minutes of waiting and repeated turning off and on.

Sometimes, it takes 10 minutes.  Sometimes, just 1 minute.  It's very frustrating.

I've tried different DVI cables, different DVI ports (on the Dell monitor), I use a

mini displayport to DVI adapter (from Apple).   The funny thing is, the monitor

will even remain unresponsive even if nothing is connected to it:  All ports disconnected

and powered on, seems dead.  The little green light by the power button is illuminated but

there is nothing on the screen (not even a "going into powersave mode").  Usually,

when it works, I can tell that it turned on: the screen illuminates slightly and then I

get the port indicator in the upper left corner.

Any ideas?  Can I get a new A02?

Thanks,

Sam

2 Posts

January 28th, 2010 15:00

So far, that actually seems to help.    I tried this with different sleep-times for the laptop (2 hours, 4 hours and 9 hours).

I'll keep trying this and let you know if the issue comes back.  Thanks!

4 Posts

March 8th, 2010 01:00

Your Not alone...

Received a new Dell Studio XPS 9000 on November 20, 2009 with 2 x Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFPs on a NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 video card.  Right out of the box the left monitor had a green cast!  The first requested replacement monitor arrived and it would not work on the system at all.  The second requested replacement monitor finally worked with minor adjustments...  Now onto the good part - I almost forgot to tell you that at 59 days of age the system died.  No response to power on, no lights, absolutely dead!  Dell replaced the motherboard and the power supply.  At 88 days of age Dell replaced the video card with probably a used one as the noise from the video card's fan was obnoxious for a new system.  After I  'chewed ' on them (Dell) agreed to replace the lemon new system with a totally new system!  It is do in tomorrow.  Now all this time, since day one the system has had the problem with the Black-out screen Entering Power Save problem.  Most of the time it is on resume from "Sleep mode";  Occassionally it is on Start-up (both monitors); and sometimes it does it on its own while being used.  This was a daily occurrence!!!  Dell jerked me around for a while messing with all the power save options without any luck.  They even installed 2 third party software packages that only corrupted the system in another direction.  I cleaned that mess up - no thanks to Dell.  Since Dell was not able to fix this problem I decided to research DVI and I discovered that the video card and monitors both needed DVI-D Dual Links cables.  Dell only supplied DVI-D Single Link cables.  I thought this corrected the problem as the system went 4 days without any Black-out screens - this was a new high as previous to switching to Dual Link cables it would happen at least  7 times per 18 hour period!!!  I do not know where to go now?!?!  The system is less than 3.5 months old!  I'll be testing the new system starting tomorrow shortly after it arrives and if the problem persists I will be requesting a change out of the 2 x Dell 2408WFPs for the new Dell Ultrasharp 2410WFPs.  It's really sad that customers have to put up with a bad product!  Dell should have offered to replace them right away knowing that they have this many issues on the 2408WFPs... And the monitors should have been shipped with Dual Link cables!!!  So far, I think and hope part of the problem with the Black-out/Entering Power Save issue was solved with the Dual Link cables (fingers are crossed...).  Dell fortunately has been the provider of probably the best product on the market, but for some reason they have really fallen on their face with this issue.  If anyone has found a fix, please post it here.  Good luck to all!

No Events found!