Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 4th, 2013 13:00

Dell Dimension 2400 Monitor

My family has had this Dell Dimension 2400 for years. We've had it since 2003, I think, and it's the first computer we've ever had so I am attached to it. Anyway, my father got rid of the original monitor a couple of years ago for whatever reason and bought a used LCD Proview monitor from a friend, but it's been starting up, and after a few seconds it just goes black. The light on it stays on and it's firmly connected to the tower. I think this is a problem with the screen. While I'd like the original Dell screen we had before, I doubt that I can find that for sale anywhere. So what monitors would be compatible with the Dell Dimension 2400? Any of them or is our desktop too dated?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 4th, 2013 14:00

Monitors are plug and play. It doesn't matter what monitor you get. Just make sure to get one with the same connections--VGA, DVI, HDMI --whatever connections are on the computer.. However--your computer could be failing too so try and test it with a borrowed monitor. Ten years is ancient in tech terms. It really is time for a new computer.

May 4th, 2013 15:00

I'll borrow a monitor and check. We have two other laptops, but we still have this computer; maybe we should just retire it for good. Thank you!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 5th, 2013 16:00

If you're attached to the 2400, you can replace its innards with new parts that will be as good or better than those of many new models. I did just that with a Dell Dimension 3000, which shares its chassis with the 2400: it now sports a new AM3 motherboard with SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 (both of these are extra-cost options with new PCs, quad-core CPU, 8gb of DDR3 memory and SSD storage device.

If you want to use a new HDMI monitor, you can retrofit the 2400 with a new PCI video card like the Sparkle GT210 PCI. Microsoft is ending support for Windows XP in less than a year, and if you want to upgrade to Windows 7, the Sparkle will help.

No Events found!