Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2020 16:00

Dell Docking station D3100 or D6000

Hi There,

I am planning to buy Dell docking station to setup my working station. It is either D3100 or D6000 model.

I got HP laptop from office and it has usb-c (not the one support the DP) port. Also 2 monitors with HDMI input.

Question is, Can I connect my laptop to Dell docking station (D3100 or D6000) via USB type C and from the docking station to my Monitor via cable that converted DP to HDMI (I believe the D6000 only has DP)

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 06:00

@bampo  You can use DisplayPort to HDMI adapters/cables with the D6000.  Not sure about the D3100, but I would expect that to be possible.  It's pretty common for DisplayPort ports on docking stations to support "Dual Mode DisplayPort" to allow the use of those types of passive adapter/cables.  Absolute worst case, there are active DisplayPort to HDMI adapters like this one that will work even if the DisplayPort output doesn't support "Dual Mode DisplayPort".

And just in case you aren't aware, the Dxxxx dock models use "indirect display" technology called DisplayLink (not to be confused with DisplayPort), and that technology introduces some drawbacks that can be significant in certain use cases.  I wrote about those in the post marked as the answer in this thread.  If your USB-C output doesn't support DisplayPort Alt Mode, then you may not have another option, but just be aware of what you might see.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 14:00

@jphughan Thanks for replying. I think I'll go with the D3100 since it has 2 HDMI output.

read the post about displaylink, I think it should be fine since I am using it mostly for work, spreadsheet, etc.

cheers,

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 15:00

@bampo  Sounds good.  I agree with that use case you will very likely be fine.  Just make sure that the resolution of your displays is within what the D3100 will support.  Good luck!

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

November 30th, 2020 08:00

@jphughan 

First, gotta say THANK YOU!   whenever I fing a really detailed / informed answer here, it's got your name on it!  Your info is SOOO much better than anything Dell puts out!  

I had this question today - D3100 or D6000.  I read your other really detailed comment at: https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/Docking-Station-D6000-Very-Bad-Video-performance-for-gaming/td-p/6193369

That comment is a few years old now. 

1) Would you know if Thunderbolt is growing / shrinking / staying the same in popularity? ie if getting a dock for a thunderbolt capable laptop now, will the next laptop likely have thunderbolt?

2) do you know if there Is a NON thunderbolt dock that doesn't use display link?  Or they are kinda mutually exlusive?  Thunderbolt docks don't use Display Link and non thunderbolt docks do use display link?

Related to your comment that you casually tossed out 

It's pretty common for DisplayPort ports on docking stations to support "Dual Mode DisplayPort" to allow the use of those types of passive adapter/cables. 

I was connecting a TV (with HDMI) to a dell AIO that had only DP and didn't know anything about the adapter I used https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4826  Oh! Thanks, it's on sale.  I'll get a couple more : ) 

and it worked.  Only later did I notice it talked about passive/ 'In order for this adapter to function properly, you must have a DisplayPort source device capable of producing and passing out an HDMI® signal through the DisplayPort jack.'  

3) Would you know how common display port with dual mode is for dell machines?

4) along the same lines - some (lower end / E series) monitors have HDMI connectors. Some have Display Port.  What do you usually get?  

5) and so there's dual mode displayport.  Is there dual mode HDMI? And is that common too? ie, if you say you get DP for q 4, is that a big deal if the computer you want to connect it to has HDMI?

THANK YOU AGAIN!  Have you talked about how you know so much?  Gotta read more of your posts!

Stay safe!!!

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

November 30th, 2020 10:00

WOW!!!

Made it to the end, but it'll take a few readings to digest all that great info!!

Yeah, me and anyone I am dealing with is not at the bleeding edge / not into spending more than the minimum for simple functionality. So I can cross thunderbolt off the list of things I need to deal with - being that you say it's on upper end hardware : ) 

I do love how things fit together - the back story...  HDMI has the licensing fees / dp is open.

And yeah, making mistakes on the low end monitors.  the E series has some letters after the size / year numbers. After me thinking I figured the letters meant the type of video connector(s) on the unit, someone at dell said no. There's no rhym or reason to tell that monitor x has this connector and monitor y has that.  Sound accurate?

Yeah, the white papers / general info is great to learn. I get frustrated with manufacturers - trying to compare 2 models - often the specs pages are different format / 1 includes this info, the other includes that info (ie no standardization of how to present information, even within the same manufacturer).

So reading your posts where you spell out exactly what the differences between 2 models AND why 1 feature is better than another.... priceless!

Do you post only  / mostly on the dell site? Or are there other forums on the web where you post? I'll follow you there too! 

THANKS!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 30th, 2020 10:00

@MikeRenna  Glad you've found my other posts useful, and thanks for the kind words!

Wow, it really has been 2 years since I wrote that DisplayLink post.  I wouldn't have guessed based on how often I still end up linking to it even these days.  Time flies!

In terms of your questions:

In the PC world (i.e. not Apple), Thunderbolt still seems to be relegated to relatively premium laptops.  It's getting slightly broader market penetration -- it's come to some Inspiron systems, and some Latitude models that used to have it as optional now have it as standard -- but it's not commonplace by any means.  However, part of that is because Thunderbolt devices still require testing and certification by Intel, which owns that spec.  But Intel essentially donated the Thunderbolt 3 spec to USB-IF to be implemented as USB4, and USB does not have any centralized testing or certification authority.  So a lot of what you see with Thunderbolt 3 today may well be implemented via USB4 on future systems.  The catch is that most of those features will be optional under the USB4 spec, i.e. not all systems with USB4 ports will necessarily have equal capabilities.  This problem already exists with USB-C today.  By comparison, Thunderbolt 4 will mandate support for certain things, which is an improvement even over Thunderbolt 3, where for example PCIe x2 was mandatory but x4 was optional, and a single GPU interface was mandatory but dual GPU interfaces were optional.  TB4 mandates PCIe x4 and dual GPU interfaces.

I don't know of any Thunderbolt docks that use DisplayLink (since the practical use case for that would be quite slim), but there are certainly non-Thunderbolt docks that don't use DisplayLink.  In fact MOST docks that plug into USB-C ports don't use DisplayLink.  They are instead designed to rely on the optional DisplayPort Alt Mode video output capability of USB-C ports.  I'll divide USB-C docks into 4 categories:

1. DisplayLink (like the D6000)
  2. USB-C "native GPU" (like the WD19)
  3. Thunderbolt-only (like the old TB16)
  4. Thunderbolt with USB-C "native GPU" backward compatibility (like the WD19TB, which offers enhanced capabilities over the WD19 when paired with a Thunderbolt system but operates like a regular WD19 with non-Thunderbolt systems)

Glad your DP to HDMI adapter worked without having to put too much thought into it.  Dual Mode DisplayPort is pretty widely deployed.  But there are some places it's less common, including the DisplayPort outputs on displays that incorporate them to facilitate setting up a daisy chain, DisplayPort/USB-C MST hubs, and TB3 to Dual DP adapters.  Although even some of the products in those last two categories support Dual Mode DisplayPort; it's just not a safe assumption.  But when you're setting up a daisy chain, the DisplayPort output has to use native DisplayPort signaling, at least as far as I've seen.  In terms of how common it is on Dell systems, every DisplayPort and Mini-DisplayPort output I've seen on every desktop and laptop I've ever used has supported Dual Mode DisplayPort.  It's essentially ubiquitous for ports built into systems and GPUs.  However, there is a catch (isn't there always?)  These days, the maximum resolution you can run via a DP output when using Dual Mode DisplayPort will likely be lower than what you can run from that same port when using native DisplayPort.  This is because the DisplayPort spec has basically always been ahead of the HDMI spec of the same time period.  (HDMI 2.1 just made a huge leap to make this gap smaller than it's ever been, but DisplayPort 2.0 is coming out soon to pull ahead again.)  So for example a DisplayPort 1.2 output that can run 4K 60 Hz when using native DP signaling might only run 2560x1600 or even only 1920x1200 when using HDMI signaling via Dual Mode DisplayPort because that's the newest HDMI signaling standard that output supports.  The way around this is to use active adapters that allow the port to continue sending native DisplayPort, and then you're only limited by the HDMI standards supported by the adapter.  DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 active adapters exist today if you need to run 4K 60 Hz from a DisplayPort output into an HDMI display.

In terms of displays, I tend to go for the P and U Series displays because I want things like built-in USB ports, height-adjustable stands, and detachable panels that have VESA mounts to allow them to be attached to other mounting solutions, like Ergotron arms.  Lower-end displays tend not to have those capabilities.  But if I were shopping in that line, DisplayPort is pretty commonly found, while HDMI seems to be getting dropped.  I'm guessing the reason is that DisplayPort is a royalty-free standard, whereas HDMI requires product manufacturers to pay a fee for every HDMI connector or port they incorporate into a product -- so on the low end of the spectrum, dropping HDMI is a cost-cutting measure.  But I can't even tell you how many times I've helped people here who have been tripped up by that.  They'll get an E Series display that only has DisplayPort, and they'll want to connect it to their system that only has an HDMI output (because it doesn't have a video-capable USB-C port and nobody is building DP or MiniDP connectors into laptops anymore).  They'll figure that a DisplayPort to HDMI cable will do the trick, but it won't, because they're not designed to run in that direction -- but that isn't obvious to the typical user.  So if you ever anticipate needing to connect an HDMI-only source, such as certain laptops or things like game consoles or streaming devices, making sure your display has an HDMI input is a wise decision.  In fact it can be MORE useful than DisplayPort, because an HDMI input can be fed on the source side by HDMI, DP, MiniDP, and video-capable USB-C.  But a DisplayPort input can't be fed by HDMI unless you get an active converter specifically designed to run in that direction, but they're a bit expensive.  But one of the perks of DisplayPort is the ability to set up daisy chains if your display offers a DP output to facilitate that.  I run a daisy chain of 2x U2717D displays at the moment.

No, there's no dual mode HDMI.  HDMI outputs only support HDMI -- and also single link DVI, i.e. up to 1920x1200, because HDMI and DVI are electrically identical up to that resolution.  (Although somehow the XPS 15 9570's HDMI output managed to break DVI compatibility.  I wouldn't have thought that possible, and Dell hasn't even acknowledged the issue, never mind offered a fix, but if you search "XPS 15 9570 DVI" you'll find a lot of complaints about people who have discovered this.  But that's an exception.)  But HDMI outputs do not support sending a DisplayPort signal, nor will a display accept a native HDMI signal on its DisplayPort input -- which creates the problem I just described above.

In terms of how I know so much, it does help that I'm an IT professional, although my current role doesn't rely on me having any of this knowledge.  A lot of it is just curiosity-driven reading.  I'll read the occasional white paper, and there are also some sites that consistently write high-quality technical deep dive articles into topics like this, such as AnandTech and ExtremeTech.

Hopefully you made it to the end, and if so, congrats and stay safe!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 30th, 2020 11:00

@MikeRenna  There are two main use cases for Thunderbolt:

• Relatively specialized peripherals like very fast SSD or storage arrays, and external GPUs.
  • Docking stations that are capable of running higher-end display setups than a regular USB-C dock could.  Right now, if you want a docking station that supports both video and USB 3.x simultaneously, which pretty much everyone would, even the latest USB-C standard can only run dual displays up to 2560x1440 each or a single 4K 60 Hz display.  Thunderbolt can run at least dual 4K 60 Hz or triple 2560x1440 displays, and some systems can run dual 4K 60 Hz plus an additional 2560x1440 display.

Yes, the back story does make things more interesting, as it does in many areas of life.  My dad is a CPA, and I never would have thought any aspects of the tax code could be interesting, but it turns out that if you know what problem a rule was written to solve, what political machinations led to a particular result, and what sorts of crazy ways some people found to interpret or apply the rule, it can get a bit more interesting.  Knowledge makes virtually all aspects of the world more interesting.

The lettering at the end of Dell's display models only has a semblance of logic applied to it.  It used to make sense for the people who had the decoder ring, but it's broken down a bit as some letters have been used in different ways or Dell has wanted to convey more information about the display in its model.  It used to be that Dell displays had at most one letter after their model number to indicate some non-standard aspect of the display.  Now some Dell displays have up to 3.  But here's an imperfect guide, in approximate historical order rather than alphabetical order.

• FP = Flat Panel.  From a time when there were other types of displays.
  • W = Widescreen, specifically 16:10 aspect ratio like 1920x1200 rather than 1920x1080 (16:9).  This letter was used back when 4:3 and 5:4 displays also still existed.  When those died off, 16:10 displays used no letter at all (U2415).  But 16:10 displays are rare now.  Although that U2415 still exists and is excellent, and I vastly prefer 1920x1200 over 1920x1080.  You do notice the extra vertical space.
  • W (more recently) = Ultrawide, like 21:9 (3440x1440, U3415W) or even 32:9 (5120x1440, U4919DW).
  • H = 16:9 aspect ratio. From an era when 16:10 was the standard for productivity displays.  I joke that this letter standards for "height-challenged", since I like 16:10's taller setup.
  • D = QHD/1440p/2560x1440 resolution.  This implies "H" since QHD is a 16:9 resolution, but QHD displays only have a D rather than "DH" or "HD", the latter of which would be quite confusing!  I guess "D" was used to indicate QHD because Q and H were already in use or planned for use.  (The U4919DW is a special case here because its 5120x1440 resolution is dual QHD, i.e. two 2560x1440 displays essentially fused together. So it gets the D and the W to designate that the result is ultrawide.)
  • Q = 4K, because 4K is Quad Full HD, i.e. 1920x1080 x 4.  Not to be confused with QHD above, which is Quad "regular" HD, i.e. 1280x720 x 4.
  • K = Beyond 4K, such as 5K (UP2715K) or 8K (UP3218K).  Note that the "5K" and "8K" in those display names are a coincidence.  Dell's convention is that the last two digits are the "model year".  It just so happens that the UP2715K was released in late 2014 as a 2015 model, and the UP3218K was released in 2017 as a 2018 model.
  • C = USB-C input.  Can appear alongside H or D, e.g. U2719DC, as distinct from the U2719D that doesn't have a USB-C input.
  • E = Ethernet.  Implies USB-C, since the built-in Ethernet adapter on the display isn't meant to put the display itself on the network, but rather to become an Ethernet adapter for the system that would be connected to the display via USB-C.  For some businesses, having displays with built-in USB ports and built-in Ethernet means they'd no longer need docking stations.  Can also appear alongside H or D, e.g. U2721DE.
  • G/F = I'm pretty sure these relate to NVIDIA G-Sync and AMD FreeSync, but I'm not sure.  I've seen some displays ending DGF, which I think means QHD and support for both G-Sync and FreeSync, but again I'm not sure.

I agree that reading specs pages is often frustrating due to inconsistent layout and often insufficient information.  That's why I tend to read the manuals of the products.  Dell helpfully makes them available on support.dell.com, and their documentation is usually quite good and pretty extensive on technical specs -- for the people who know that this resource exists.  Comparing manuals often gives a much clearer idea of how products that appear similar on the "marketing" page actually differ in their details.  And it's often where you might find "gotchas" around limitations that might not be obvious.

I mostly post here.  I'm also active on the forums of a company called Macrium, which makes an excellent image backup and cloning application called Macrium Reflect.  Otherwise, I have accounts on the Lenovo forums and Reddit, but I probably haven't written more than few dozen posts on either.  I used to be active on NotebookReview, but that was quite a while ago.  But feel free to ping me over PM if you ever have any questions, or to post a topic and mention me if you think the answer might be helpful for others.  All the best!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 30th, 2020 11:00

@MikeRenna  Well it goes to show how tricky Dell's display naming can be.  I just edited that list above about 4 times to clarify things and add a few that I forgot the first time or two.  Enjoy!

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

November 30th, 2020 19:00

Taxes - funny thing I heard recently - new tax laws tax planes made overseas (airbus). But that applies to new planes only.  So delta (and other airlines?) fly each new plane at least once between non us airports... now it's used / no tarriff when it comes to the US : ) 

All that other stuff!? I'm in awe of your wealth of info... and the time to absorb reading manuals then be able to actively apply all of that to help others!

Thank you again!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 30th, 2020 20:00

@MikeRenna  Cars have the same tax loophole.  Porsche and until recently BMW offered a "European Delivery" option where customers in the US could order their cars to be delivered at the automaker's factory in Germany.  They'd fly over there, and the delivery experience included a factory tour and a cool presentation of their vehicle.  The arrangement would also include a week or two of insurance to drive around the EU, after which the customer would drop off their vehicle at one of many available ports throughout the EU and fly home, then wait for their car to be redelivered in the US.  European Delivery resulted in a decent discount specifically because as you say, import taxes on new cars are higher than those on "used" cars, and that brief driving stint in Europe turned it into a used car.  Usually the savings were enough to pay for a good portion of the trip!  A few of my friends have done this and said that seeing the factory and then driving their own new car around Europe is one of the greatest vacations they've ever done.

No Events found!