Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

August 4th, 2008 04:00

Dell E207WFP: OSD & Power Off Failure

Hello, I've encountered a problem with my Dell E207WFP monitor which is approximately 1.5 years old. I have a Dell Dimension E521 computer running Windows XP with an ATI Radeon 1300/ 1550 Series video card. The problem I've encountered deals with powering off the monitor and displaying the OSD menu, both of which are controlled from the front panel controls on the lower right side of the monitor.

With regards to powering off the monitor, after I power down the computer I then press the monitor's power off/on control and receive a screen message stating that the monitor is in "Power Saver mode" and I am directed to press any key or move the mouse to restore the screen. I am unable to power off the monitor.

Regarding the OSD menu, when I press the OSD control the menu will not appear on the screen. In addition, the manual states that pressing the (-) control key will display the brightness and contrast controls. This does not function as well.

I contacted Dell Technical Support regarding the problem and the tech instructed me to power down the computer and remove/ reconnect power cables for both the computer and monitor. After rebooting the system we tried the controls again without success in restoring the OSD/ power-off functions. The tech thought that the circuit controlling the front panel keys had failed. I asked him if the problem could be repaired and he didn't seem to have an answer to this.

I recently browsed through the Dell Forum to see if anyone else had encountered this problem and I found a posting where a Dell mediator recommended an application (softMCCS) to restore factory presets and hopefully unlock the OSD menu. I tried out this application and found that I can at least control the brightness and contrast for the monitor using this software.

Before I conclude that the monitor is damaged beyond repair I thought I would check if anyone has a solution to the power-off and OSD menu problem I've encountered ... thanks.  

1.7K Posts

August 5th, 2008 23:00

Not much in electronics is beyond repair, mostly is it worth it. I have not had one of that model on my bench so don't know what a repair may run. Since the monitor works, why not just use a power strip to power it off and on?

Behind the switch on most monitors is a little board that is not that strong. Too much flexing and maybe it broke.

7 Posts

August 6th, 2008 05:00

Your feedback is greatly appreciated "tr4". Considering the sequence of events that concluded with the failure I think your theory of a damaged circuit board is correct. While troubleshooting, the Dell tech instructed me to press the OSD key for 15 seconds after power down ... possibly this is where the circuit board was damaged as I could not display the OSD menu or get a response from the "input source select" key after the reboot.

Besides a probable circuit board failure, there are other problems with my monitor which I would like to understand before I proceed with either repairing or replacing it. Prior to contacting Dell Tech Support, the panel keys (OSD, input source select, etc) were functioning as required and I was able to display the OSD menu. However the scroll bar continuously scrolled through the OSD menu item list and could not be controlled using the front panel keys. The Dell tech thought that the OSD "microchip" was faulty but wasn't sure if it could be replaced. Is it possible to repair the OSD problem without great difficulty (significant cost)? For example, if I proceed with the replacement of the control keys circuit board would the replacement of the OSD “microchip” be a simple additional repair item for the technician?

1.7K Posts

August 6th, 2008 11:00

First have you made sure your monitor is no longer under warrenty?

The symptoms you mention would seem like a switch or connection problem on the board. maybe the scroll button is stuck.

The chip is probably the main chip on the logic board. I am thinking that is not it.  You may have gotton a very knowlegeable support tect but dell sends out their monitors for repairs so it is hard to get information out of them that they do not know.

I don't have direct knowlege of the insides of you monitor as I have not had a broken one apart. People tend to hang onto them for years before they relaize it is doing them no good before I can get my hands on them to fix for family and friends. So I know more about the older ones.

7 Posts

August 6th, 2008 19:00

Thanks again for your feedback “tr4”. Unfortunately the monitor is no longer under warranty as I purchased it a little over 1.5 years ago. I didn’t purchase an extended warranty because I thought I would get at least a 5 year service life out of the monitor considering the reputation for high quality that the “Dell” name brand carries. For example, I’m still using a Compaq monitor I purchased 13 years ago and I’ve never had a problem with it.

The frustrating thing about the failure is I only used the OSD once to set up the monitor when I purchased it. The only key I use regularly on the front panel is the power on-off control. I  used the other keys to check their function when I was unable to power off the monitor. This is when I discovered the problem with the OSD menu scroll bar.

Out of curiosity I think I’ll take the next step and get an estimate of repair from a local electronics company. However, I read another posting on this website where a fellow had a damaged power switch and was given an estimate of $240 or so to repair. It doesn’t look like this turkey is going to fly again. I guess I’ll have to get by using a power bar and the “SoftMCCS” software for now.

1.7K Posts

August 6th, 2008 20:00

My advice for you and anyone going int looking for an estimate. If they want more than a minimal charge to give you an estimate, be prepared to run.

Ask how many monitors they repair in a month.

A lot of shops don't have any knowledge of monitors. They will look for obvious things but since dell doesn't offer schematics, it will take some time to figure these things out. So you get a hgh estimate that you will refuse. They keep their reputation as a repair shop and you buy a new monitor

I do this as a hobby so time is not the point. The solution is the reward. Like any hobby, I lose money at it but that's not why I do it.  

Sometimes finding useable broken lcd's is the hardest part of my hobby. People hang onto them or want lots of money for them 

7 Posts

August 6th, 2008 22:00

You’re a wealth of helpful knowledge “tr4”. I agree with your comments regarding electronic repair outlets. That’s why I try to purchase high quality equipment so that I keep my dealings with these folks to a minimum; which adds to my current frustration with the Dell monitor I purchased. If Dell do not offer schematics for their equipment what is their policy for replacement spare parts, or are the electronic components in their equipment primarily generic?

Dell is a great company in many ways but I’m afraid this experience leaves me concerned about the quality (design and components) of some of their products. Anyway, I’m really not happy with this premature failure and it will likely reflect on the next computer purchase I make.

1.7K Posts

August 7th, 2008 00:00

The high expense of monitor repair is that you have to do component repair. Dell rebrands manufacturers products. So there interest is pushing more product.

A few monitors have new manufactured boards but very few for very common problems. A lot of parts are generic enough to be sourced. Some are not. It takes time and effort to find replacements. I may spend several hours locating a $2 part. The more I get and do, the quicker I can find problems so my point about a shop that does lots. Sometimes having two with different problems makes it easier to fix both  so I have to stockpile them.

Your short life lcd is sad but that how things break, you did not have insurance (extended warrenty) and lost on this. If your pc holds up then the money you saved by not having to pay for a warrenty can be applied towards the new monitor or repair so you may break out near even. Good luck and let me know how you make out 

7 Posts

August 7th, 2008 01:00

Yes “tr4”, your comments regarding warranty cost savings and repair/ replacement are valid. I guess I’ve just been exposed to the realities of the “Bic Pen” society.

It’s been a pleasure chatting with you. I’ve read your comments on other postings and you help a lot of folks with their various problems. I’m going to check into the possibility of repairing the monitor just to see what the local electronic experts come up with. If I feel the quotes/ comments I receive will be helpful to forum participants, I’ll submit a final note to this posting … thanks again.

3 Posts

August 15th, 2008 17:00

I have very similar problems with that monitor.  It is 15 months old and failing I guess.  My monitor menu keeps popping up and flashing on and off in the middle of the screen.  I can't scroll through the options to try and exit the menu.  My on/off button works only sometimes.  Dell was/is not help...at least you got more out of them than I did.  Did you ever find out if you have a circuit failure and the estimated cost of repairs?  I'd love to hear how you made out.

7 Posts

August 16th, 2008 03:00

Hi there “jpfan”. The electronic folks I’ve chatted with don’t think the problem I’ve encountered is due to a mechanical failure (power switch) or damage to the circuit board interfacing the front panel control keys. Prior to posting this thread I browsed through the Dell forum looking for previous postings related to this problem. I didn’t find very much info at that time. Since my last comment I’ve found a number of references in the forum to problems with “Power Saver Mode” monitor lockup. Some of the causes of this problem (in a variety of models) stem from “playing PC Games”, video card settings, corrupt monitor drivers, and problems with the DVI connection … they suggest using the VGA connection.

The folks I’ve talked to thought there was a “logic” problem with the monitor but stated there is so little info available on Dell equipment that they can only guess. They also said that Dell parts specific to the inner workings of the monitor (circuit boards, switches etc.) are very difficult to obtain. Any Dell user knows that obtaining motherboards and other major components are readily available through the superb Dell supply channel. With the wee parts it’s quite a different story apparently. If you can’t get the parts … you can’t fix the problem.

Restoring factory presets (using softMCCS) should unlock the OSD menu and front panel keys ... this has worked for some users. My OSD menu problem is somewhat unusual in that the scroll bar has gone berserk and scrolls continuously which is due apparently to a "microchip malfunction" ... no one seems to know for sure. 

That's all I know for now ... hope it helps.   

7 Posts

August 23rd, 2008 23:00

Just a short note to close out this thread. For some unknown reason I am now able to power on-off my monitor and the OSD menu is now functioning properly, with the exception of the (+) key. So, for those of you suffering the same “Power Saver Mode” wackiness there is a chance things will return to near normal over time. I don’t know why the monitor function returned, however, it appears to be related to the software that probably caused the problem originally (flight simulator) … but then, nobody seems to know for sure one way or the other.      

2 Posts

December 10th, 2011 15:00

I have a different problem with the E207WFPc monitor.  I've had it for a couple of years and leave it on most of the time continuously with no problems.  Yesterday it generated a very strong odor similar to nail polish remover.  Any ideas what has failed and if it's worth repairing?  Is there a way to remove the rear cover to allow me to search for the damaged component?

No Events found!