Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2012 08:00

Dell Flat Panels go to Power Save mode and do not wake back up

I am in a setting of around 2500 Dell Optiplexs, mostly 755, 760, 780, 790, and 7010.  We have been undergoing a conversion from Windows XP to Windows 7.  We have been noticing an increase of issues with machines that have Windows 7 where one or all flat panels will go to power save mode when a user walks away,  the flat panel will not become active when the user wakes up the machine/flat panels.  When the user presses the power button of the flat panel, the flat panel will not turn off.

ie.

User with Windows 7 walks away from machine.

Screen saver kicks on, eventually power saving mode turns on and monitors turn off.

When the user comes back and moves mouse or presses key, one or all monitors do not turn back on and flat panels stays in power saving mode.

When the power button of the flat panel is pressed, the flat panel does not shut off and the amber light stays on.  The only way to get the flat panel to turn back on is to unplug the power cord and plug it back in.

This has happend on multiple models of monitors and video cards and desktops as well as laptops.  We have had this happen before on Windows XP machines at a rate of around 5 or so a year but the Windows 7 machines seem to have this occur 8 or so times a week.  I expect it is happening at a higher rate as this is only indicative of what is being reported. 

Below are some of the models we have experienced it on.

Flat Panels:

E198WFPf

E198FPb

E190SF

Video Cards

Nvidia NVS300

AM Radeon HD 6350

Optiplex 7010 onboard Display Port to VGA adapter

13 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 08:00

I forgot to mention that changing the monitor, even to the same model type, seems to solve the issue.  

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 18:00

StarkyD,

Disconnect the monitor USB upstream cable from the PCs. Retest
Disable all Windows 7 power management. Retest.

13 Posts

November 5th, 2012 04:00

Chris, we do no use any of the monitors USB capabilities.  

I'm a little confused on why you would ask me to disable Windows 7 power managment.  If I disable all power management, it will never go to standy by and waking up the machine from standy by is when the problem occurs.

It seems like this may be a hardware issue.  We can remove a problem flat panel, replace it with a known working monitor of same model and it will come out of stand by fine but if we put the original monitor back, the same problem occurs.  

At the risk of sounding redundant, when the issue does occur, the monitor can not be turned off by the power button.  It stays solid amber even when pressed.  Pulling the power cord on the monitor and plugging it back in resolves the problem until the next time the machine goes to stand by.

Thus far, updated video card drivers have not made a difference.

No Events found!