Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 29th, 2010 19:00

Dell G2210 ambient light sensor can't make up its mind

I recently purchased a Dell G2210 LED monitor, which features an ambient light sensor. This automatically adjusts the brightness of the monitor based on the level of light in the room. Most of the time this feature seems to work OK, but sometimes it acts like a hyperactive child who's eaten too much sugar. When misbehaving, it will constantly adjust the brightness, even when the light in the room isn't changing and the picture on the screen is static. It will go bright, dim, bright, dim, bright, dim, at a rate of about one adjustment per second. Do all G2210 monitors exhibit this behaviour or is mine faulty?

The other annoying thing about this monitor is that the ambient light sensor increases/decreases the brightness in distinct steps, rather than a linear scale. My previous monitor was a Philips 17" LCD, which also had an ambient light sensor. The Philips would adjust the brightness in a slow, linear fashion, so that you barely noticed it happening. Considering the Philips monitor is four years old the Dell technology seems way behind the times.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 31st, 2010 04:00

snd977,

Will check on these in the lab on Monday to see if they have the issue.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 1st, 2010 15:00

Ambient Light Sensor Fluctuates Flickers

There is no fault with the monitor, an exchange is not going to solve this. All you can do is go into the OSD (On Screen Display) -Energy Modes and set it to Standard.

14 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 01:00

So are you saying it's an design flaw with the ambient light sensor? Mine seems to have settled down a bit since I purchased it. Most of the time the brightness doesn't fluctuate, but occassionally it goes a bit crazy and does the bright/dim/bright/dim/bright/dim thing. If it becomes a problem I'll send the monitor back for a refund.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 2nd, 2010 05:00

So are you saying it's an design flaw with the ambient light sensor?
* No. It is a result of choosing Energy Smart or Energy Smart Plus.

* If it becomes a problem I'll send the monitor back for a refund.
A refund can only be done inside of the initial 21 days from the invoice date.

14 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 00:00

But Energy Smart and Energy Smart Plus aren't supposed to adjust the monitor brightness if the ambient light and the picture being displayed aren't changing! That's what I'm experiencing. For example, I might have Microsoft Outlook open and aren't scrolling or anything (so the picture isn't changing) and then all of a sudden the monitor starts constantly adjusting the brightness up/down/up/down.

Consumer law in New Zealand overrides any 21 day limitation that Dell might claim.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 3rd, 2010 05:00

Then contact Dell New Zealand and return the monitor.

No Events found!